Ben Cherington: ‘We like where we’re at’ with starting pitchers
|01.22.15 at 2:38 pm ET|
‘We’re pursuing some stuff but I think it’s more what you would classify as depth related. That’s what we’re focused on this minute,’ Cherington noted.
‘The free agent market has been pricey this winter, obviously. Starting pitchers who perform at the highest level and do so consistently and are relatively young or near their primes, those guys are hard guys to get and they’re valuable and they cost a lot, where it’s dollars or talent. We’re trying to put ourselves in a position where we have that kind of caliber pitching and hopefully we have some of it internally. There’s no question the team benefits from having high-end starting pitching performances. It’s just the question of what’s the best way to get it. We’ve looked at all sorts of things, not just this offseason but previously.
‘We like where we’re at. We like the collection of pitchers we have. We think there’s untapped potential in the group and the collection we have now can give us a strong pitching staff this year.’
As for the level of interest the Red Sox might have in the top free agent pitcher still on the market, James Shields, Cherington reiterated that such an acquisition wouldn’t be likely.
We did meet with Shields and his agent back at the winter meetings. We met with most agents there, so it’s not to single out him. Most agents have several clients so you talk to people all the time. All I can say right now is as far as the starters are concerned, we’re really focused on the guys we have. We’re pursuing some opportunities maybe on some depth in certain areas, but there’s nothing on the front burner that would grab headlines.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs