Hanley Ramirez (left hand contusion), Dustin Pedroia (right hamstring tightness) both leave game vs. Orioles
|06.24.15 at 9:03 pm ET|
The Red Sox‘ 5-1 win over the Orioles Wednesday night came with a price.
On a freakish play in the bottom of the fifth inning, Hanley Ramirez was hit on the wrist on a hit-and-run play when Xander Bogaerts’ liner hit Ramirez when he was running to second base.
Later in the game, Dustin Pedroia was injured in the bottom of the sixth on his two-run single to left field. He left the game with what the Red Sox announced as right hamstring tightness after he rounded first base and appeared to be in obvious pain.
“We’re still in the process of gathering all the information,” manager John Farrell said after the game. “There’s advanced imaging going on for both Pedey and Hanley. The injuries are what everyone saw, but we don’t have full information yet.”
Ramirez’s injury occurred on one of the stranger plays that can happen in a game, but it is the second time this year that a Red Sox base runner has been hit with a ball on a hit-and-run, as it happened to Bogaerts earlier in the year.
“It’s very rare, it’s uncommon to happen where two guys advancing to second base being put in motion get hit with a line drive and a ground ball,” Farrell said. “It’s something you don’t see often. And the one tonight hopefully we’re able to avoid something physical for the time being.”
It’s very rare for Pedroia to leave a game, so there is some concern there, but no new information will be known until likely Thursday morning.
“He lost his footing going around the bag,” Farrell said. “He slips with the left foot and when he tried to plant and brace himself with his right foot, the ground gave out or he stepped in a little bit of a hole and wasn’t able to keep solid footing and that’s where he felt it in the hamstring. Anytime a player comes off the field, you’re concerned. But we’ll know more here before the night’s out.”
For more Red Sox news, visit weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Updates on Red Sox Star Pablo Sandoval's Injury
- Ortiz Looks Determined to Go out with a Bang
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Kyri Washington rips pair of doubles in Greenville loss
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Swihart lead Pawtucket on a light night
- Michael Chavis placed on disabled list with torn thumb ligament (UPDATE: report rescinded)
- Weekly Notes: Light, Cuevas get first-time call-up
- Cup of Coffee: Lakins shoves, Drive bats come alive