Hanley Ramirez (left hand contusion), Dustin Pedroia (right hamstring tightness) both leave game vs. Orioles
|06.24.15 at 9:03 pm ET|
The Red Sox‘ 5-1 win over the Orioles Wednesday night came with a price.
On a freakish play in the bottom of the fifth inning, Hanley Ramirez was hit on the wrist on a hit-and-run play when Xander Bogaerts’ liner hit Ramirez when he was running to second base.
Later in the game, Dustin Pedroia was injured in the bottom of the sixth on his two-run single to left field. He left the game with what the Red Sox announced as right hamstring tightness after he rounded first base and appeared to be in obvious pain.
“We’re still in the process of gathering all the information,” manager John Farrell said after the game. “There’s advanced imaging going on for both Pedey and Hanley. The injuries are what everyone saw, but we don’t have full information yet.”
Ramirez’s injury occurred on one of the stranger plays that can happen in a game, but it is the second time this year that a Red Sox base runner has been hit with a ball on a hit-and-run, as it happened to Bogaerts earlier in the year.
“It’s very rare, it’s uncommon to happen where two guys advancing to second base being put in motion get hit with a line drive and a ground ball,” Farrell said. “It’s something you don’t see often. And the one tonight hopefully we’re able to avoid something physical for the time being.”
It’s very rare for Pedroia to leave a game, so there is some concern there, but no new information will be known until likely Thursday morning.
“He lost his footing going around the bag,” Farrell said. “He slips with the left foot and when he tried to plant and brace himself with his right foot, the ground gave out or he stepped in a little bit of a hole and wasn’t able to keep solid footing and that’s where he felt it in the hamstring. Anytime a player comes off the field, you’re concerned. But we’ll know more here before the night’s out.”
For more Red Sox news, visit weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Spinners drop one in extras, timely hitting for Sea Dogs and Red Sox
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi blasts first professional home run
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts, Stankiewicz shines for Salem
- Red Sox purchase contract of pitcher Noe Ramirez
- Johnson named to International League All-Star Team
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech goes six strong, Nava returns to Pawtucket
- Red Sox sign two as international signing period opens
- Cup of Coffee: Devers hits clutch homer, GCL Sox remain unbeaten
- Podcast Ep. 79: Promotions, Signings, Rankings, Fireworks?
- Five Sea Dogs chosen for Eastern League All-Star team