Sources: Jonathan Papelbon files grievance against Nationals
|12.06.15 at 10:32 pm ET|
NASHVILLE — Jonathan Papelbon‘s brief tenure with the Nationals hasn’t exactly gone swimmingly.
According to multiple major league sources, the former Red Sox closer has filed a grievance against Washington for failing to pay his salary during the team-imposed four-game suspension at the conclusion of the 2015 season.
Papelbon was suspended by the Nationals after engaging in a dugout altercation with teammate Bryce Harper during a Sept. 28 game against the Phillies.
According to the sources, the player’s stance is that there is no precedent of a player having his salary withdrawn after such a team-issued suspension.
No date for a hearing has been set.
Following the incident, the Nationals and their general manager Mike Rizzo issued a statement:
There have been some talk that Papelbon might be on the trading block this offseason, with the 35-year-old slated to make $11 million in the final year of his current contract.
He finished 2015 going 24 for 26 in save opportunities, totaling a combined ERA of 2.13 between the Phillies and Nationals.
MLB.com reported Sunday, however, that it was reliever Drew Storen who the Nationals were looking to deal at the Winter Meetings, which are being held here at the Gaylord Opryland Hotel through Thursday.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven