Red Sox top prospect Michael Kopech fractures hand after altercation with teammate
|03.08.16 at 2:03 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Michael Kopech has run into trouble again.
Kopech, one of the Red Sox’ top pitching prospects, fractured his right hand after engaging in an altercation with a teammate recently. The right-handed pitcher could be seen wearing a cast on his throwing hand at JetBlue Park Tuesday.
Red Sox general manager Mike Hazen wrote in a text to WEEI.com that the organization is handling the situation internally while continuing to work through a medical plan.
Later, speaking to reporters in Sarasota, Hazen admitted to being disappointed in the right-hander.
“It was stupid,” Hazen said. “He’s going to have to grow up, obviously, with the things that have happened so far. He’s got a long road to go to get to the big leagues. He obviously has a ton of potential. He’s got a long way to go. These types of things, you don’t want to put more barriers in front of you than playing professional baseball already presents you.”
Kopech, a first-round pick of the Red Sox in the 2014 draft, missed 50 games last season after being suspended for the use of Oxilofrine, a stimulant in violation of the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.
Before his suspension, the 6-foot-3 right-hander posted a 2.63 ERA in 15 starts at Single-A Greenville, striking out 70 and walking 27 in 65 innings. He also pitched in Instructional League following the minor league season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Boston Red Sox: Ranking the Top 10 Prospects Ahead of Spring Training
- Red Sox Spring Training 2017 Preview: Predictions, Players to Watch and...
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016