Hanley Ramirez after 1st home run since May 10: ‘It’s about to get hot’
|06.15.16 at 11:25 pm ET|
After hitting just .171 in the last two weeks, Hanley Ramirez had a feeling things would turn around.
Wednesday night showed he might be right.
Ramirez went 2-for-3 with a walk and three RBIs, including a mammoth three-run home run in the third inning well over the Green Monster seats to give the Red Sox a 6-0 lead in their 6-4 win over the Orioles on Wednesday night at Fenway Park.
For Ramirez it was his first home run since May 10, which spanned 111 at-bats and is a sign for him that maybe things are turning around.
“Get ready,” Ramirez said. “Get your ticket. First class, whatever coach, it’s about to get hot.”
The homer certainly got the attention of his teammates, particularly David Ortiz who was waiting for him at home plate.
“Did you see where that ball landed? That’s what got me excited,” Ortiz said.
Despite struggling of late — batting just .150 in June — Ramirez hasn’t lost faith.
“No, just I needed a couple of hits for confidence,” he said. “In my mind I knew I was getting close.”
With the Red Sox playing as well as they have so far this season, regaining first place in the American League East with the win Wednesday, it’s been easier for Ramirez to deal with his struggles.
“Not at all because we’re in first place,” he said. “That’s the thing. We’ve been playing pretty good baseball and have some guys that have been doing the job getting it done. That is what we’re here for, picking each other up. If you don’t do the job, you depend on the guy behind you to finish it.”
The Red Sox already have the best offense in the American League, so how good might it be if Ramirez gets it going at the plate?
“It’s going to be really, really special,” he said. “We just want to keep winning series. Winning series — that’s how you go to the playoffs.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Tyler Thornburg
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the pitching prospects dealt for Chris Sale
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the hitting prospects dealt for Chris Sale
- Podcast Ep. #110: Dealin' Dave's Winter Sale
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo to play in Puerto Rican League
- November Notes: Prospect rankings and new CBA
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez belts walk-off home run
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Devers, Hernandez stand out in Dominican winter league
- Podcast Ep. #109: Alex Speier on Ranking the System
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez debuts, Tavarez, Mars stay hot