Hanley Ramirez after 1st home run since May 10: ‘It’s about to get hot’
|06.15.16 at 11:25 pm ET|
After hitting just .171 in the last two weeks, Hanley Ramirez had a feeling things would turn around.
Wednesday night showed he might be right.
Ramirez went 2-for-3 with a walk and three RBIs, including a mammoth three-run home run in the third inning well over the Green Monster seats to give the Red Sox a 6-0 lead in their 6-4 win over the Orioles on Wednesday night at Fenway Park.
For Ramirez it was his first home run since May 10, which spanned 111 at-bats and is a sign for him that maybe things are turning around.
“Get ready,” Ramirez said. “Get your ticket. First class, whatever coach, it’s about to get hot.”
The homer certainly got the attention of his teammates, particularly David Ortiz who was waiting for him at home plate.
“Did you see where that ball landed? That’s what got me excited,” Ortiz said.
Despite struggling of late — batting just .150 in June — Ramirez hasn’t lost faith.
“No, just I needed a couple of hits for confidence,” he said. “In my mind I knew I was getting close.”
With the Red Sox playing as well as they have so far this season, regaining first place in the American League East with the win Wednesday, it’s been easier for Ramirez to deal with his struggles.
“Not at all because we’re in first place,” he said. “That’s the thing. We’ve been playing pretty good baseball and have some guys that have been doing the job getting it done. That is what we’re here for, picking each other up. If you don’t do the job, you depend on the guy behind you to finish it.”
The Red Sox already have the best offense in the American League, so how good might it be if Ramirez gets it going at the plate?
“It’s going to be really, really special,” he said. “We just want to keep winning series. Winning series — that’s how you go to the playoffs.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies