Hanley Ramirez after 1st home run since May 10: ‘It’s about to get hot’
|06.15.16 at 11:25 pm ET|
After hitting just .171 in the last two weeks, Hanley Ramirez had a feeling things would turn around.
Wednesday night showed he might be right.
Ramirez went 2-for-3 with a walk and three RBIs, including a mammoth three-run home run in the third inning well over the Green Monster seats to give the Red Sox a 6-0 lead in their 6-4 win over the Orioles on Wednesday night at Fenway Park.
For Ramirez it was his first home run since May 10, which spanned 111 at-bats and is a sign for him that maybe things are turning around.
“Get ready,” Ramirez said. “Get your ticket. First class, whatever coach, it’s about to get hot.”
The homer certainly got the attention of his teammates, particularly David Ortiz who was waiting for him at home plate.
“Did you see where that ball landed? That’s what got me excited,” Ortiz said.
Despite struggling of late — batting just .150 in June — Ramirez hasn’t lost faith.
“No, just I needed a couple of hits for confidence,” he said. “In my mind I knew I was getting close.”
With the Red Sox playing as well as they have so far this season, regaining first place in the American League East with the win Wednesday, it’s been easier for Ramirez to deal with his struggles.
“Not at all because we’re in first place,” he said. “That’s the thing. We’ve been playing pretty good baseball and have some guys that have been doing the job getting it done. That is what we’re here for, picking each other up. If you don’t do the job, you depend on the guy behind you to finish it.”
The Red Sox already have the best offense in the American League, so how good might it be if Ramirez gets it going at the plate?
“It’s going to be really, really special,” he said. “We just want to keep winning series. Winning series — that’s how you go to the playoffs.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Is Patriots' Day? Your Introduction to Boston's Greatest Holiday
- Stock Up, Stock Down for Boston Red Sox's Top 5 Prospects for Week 1
- Jackie Bradley Jr. to Be Placed on 10-Day DL with Knee Injury
- David Price's 1st Bullpen Session Since Elbow Injury Captured on Video
- Chris Sale Produces Dominant Debut Red Sox Needed to See
- 5 Bold Predictions for the Boston Red Sox's 2017 Season
- Boston Red Sox: Complete 2017 Season Preview, Predictions
- Cup of Coffee: Lakins, Anderson deal, Swihart homers
- Cup of Coffee: Brentz homers in both ends of doubleheader
- Minor Notes: Steen in critical condition after early morning car crash
- Scouting Scratch: Rafael Devers
- System Restart '17: Low-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Sexton allows one hit over six innings for Greenville
- System Restart '17: Mid-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd, Rei highlight quiet night in system
- System Restart '17: Upper-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Shawaryn strikes out nine as Drive cruise