Clay Buchholz officially heading to bullpen, Eduardo Rodriguez to start Sunday
|08.25.16 at 4:20 pm ET|
Clay Buchholz is headed back to the bullpen.
The move was necessitated by the return of both Steven Wright and Eduardo Rodriguez to the starting rotation, with Wright starting Friday night in the series opener against the Royals, and Rodriguez getting the call for Sunday’s night’s finale.
Buchholz has been outstanding since July 27, totaling a 1.96 ERA in eight appearances, three of which were starts. In the three games he started in place of Wright, Buchholz managed a 2.70 ERA.
He is coming off a 6 1/3-inning gem against the Rays Tuesday night in which the righty only allowed one run while striking out nine.
The move was made official after Rodriguez (hamstring) completed another successful bullpen session, having throwing a three-inning simulated game Tuesday at Tropicana Field.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Notes from the Field: Jason Groome debuts on Day Four
- Chatham using size to his advantage at shortstop
- Fort Report: Another round of cuts as Opening Day nears
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two