David Ortiz invoked in Jeff Sessions attorney general confirmation hearings
|01.10.17 at 2:40 pm ET|
David Ortiz may be retired, but he hasn’t been forgotten on the floor of the U.S. Senate.
Speaking at the confirmation hearings of Alabama Sen. Jeff Sessions, who has been nominated for attorney general by President-elect Donald Trump, Rhode Island Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse invoked Ortiz while questioning Sessions’ history of questionable racial positions.
“We have a vibrant Dominican community, who look at Big Papi, David Ortiz, swinging his bat for the Red Sox, and wonder why you said, ‘Almost no one coming from the Dominican Republic to the United States is coming here because they have a provable skill that would benefit us,'” said Whitehouse in reference to a 2006 speech that is available on Sessions’ official website.
In response to Whitehouse, Sessions explained that he was referring to the fact that most immigration is based on family connections, rather than proof of skills that could be useful in the U.S.
“The immigration flow from almost all of our countries, frankly, is based on family connection and other visas, rather than a skill-based program, more like Canada has today,” Session said. “And that’s all I intended to be saying there. . . . Please don’t see that as a diminishment or a criticism of the people of the Dominican Republic.”
Red Sox fans would certainly question Sessions’ opinions on the issue.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies
- Fort Report: Benintendi to bat third in Boston?