David Price pleased with pace of recovery from elbow injury, but unsure if he’ll be ready for Opening Day
|03.13.17 at 1:45 pm ET|
David Price is as surprised as anyone at how good he feels.
Told by two of the nation’s leading experts on elbow injuries to “listen to my body,” Price began throwing a baseball against a trampoline as part of a light throwing program that he hopes starts him on the road to recovery since being sidelined two weeks ago by arm pain.
“It feels good,” Price told reporters in Fort Myers on Monday. “It’s been getting better every day. I’m kind of surprised that it’s responded the way that it has. If you asked me a week ago I’d have said I felt OK. And I feel really good right now. Today is the best it’s felt. Just everyday activities. I don’t feel anything in there right now. So that’s coming after two straight days of throwing baseballs into the net so it’s responded really well.”
Price visited Drs. James Andrews and Neal ElAttrache in Indianapolis on March 3, three days after reporting discomfort following a simulated game. The doctors told him that were he 22 or 23, they’d recommend surgery. But because Price is 31 and has learned to pitch through discomfort, they suggested rest and rehab, instead.
Price said the inflammation has already subsided, and he’s regaining range of motion. He’s not ready to commit to being ready for the start of the season, but he likes where he’s headed.
“At the end of the day, I feel like there’s going to be a lot of good that can come from this,” Price said. “Just take my time and make sure I’m ready to come back.”
For more on Price’s return, as well as my skepticism over his long-term prognosis, check out this column.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: Groome impresses in spring start
- Notes from the Field: Jason Groome debuts on Day Four
- Chatham using size to his advantage at shortstop
- Fort Report: Another round of cuts as Opening Day nears
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp