Why has Brock Holt disappeared?
|04.18.17 at 5:49 pm ET|
For one, with the absence of Jackie Bradley Jr. in the outfield, and the Red Sox facing predominantly right-handed starters, Holt would normally be John Farrell’s go-to guy to put in left field during this last week. But during that span there has just been two starts, with Chris Young getting the majority of playing time.
There has also been the occasional opportunity to spell Pablo Sandoval at third base against lefties. Yet, still, Holt is sitting at two starts for the season, one at third and the other in left.
Then came the series opener at Rogers Centre.
With Farrell identifying Tuesday as a logical opportunity for Dustin Pedroia to get some rest, it was Marco Hernandez, not Holt, who the manager turned to. The explanation wasn’t complicated — Hernandez is swinging better than Holt, who entered the game 1-for-11 with five strikeouts.
“You try to keep everyone involved as best possible,” the Red Sox manager said. “The fact is, Marco’s at-bats have probably been a little bit more consistent whether that’s coming out of spring training a little bit more timely, he’s had more opportunities as the season has begun, Brock is still going to play a vital role on this team as we go forward but Marco is in there [Tuesday].”
Hernandez hasn’t exactly torn up the majors since his promotion, hitting .261 with a .565 OPS coming into the three-game set. But coming off his stellar Grapefruit League season, the lefty hitter has shown Farrell enough to want to see a bit more.
“There’s been a lot to like. His at-bats have been overall aggressive,” Farrell said. “I think, with the exception of maybe an occasional at-bat against a left-hander where there’s been a little bit of a tough matchup, I thought he has swung the bat well. He’s played with a lot of athleticism and energy. He’s a good fit to be able to play at multiple positions.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Is Patriots' Day? Your Introduction to Boston's Greatest Holiday
- Stock Up, Stock Down for Boston Red Sox's Top 5 Prospects for Week 1
- Jackie Bradley Jr. to Be Placed on 10-Day DL with Knee Injury
- David Price's 1st Bullpen Session Since Elbow Injury Captured on Video
- Chris Sale Produces Dominant Debut Red Sox Needed to See
- 5 Bold Predictions for the Boston Red Sox's 2017 Season
- Boston Red Sox: Complete 2017 Season Preview, Predictions
- System Restart '17: Upper-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Shawaryn strikes out nine as Drive cruise
- Minor Notes: Workman dominant in PawSox bullpen
- The Write-Up: Jalen Beeks
- Cup of Coffee: Olt leads Sea Dogs to walkoff win
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks tosses complete-game shutout
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Victor Garcia
- Cup of Coffee: Ockimey homers twice, Salem sweeps twin bill
- The Write-Up: Teddy Stankiewicz
- System Restart '17: Catcher