Full Count
A Furiously Updated Red Sox Blog
WEEI.com Blog Network
Red Sox Hot Stove Live Chat, Thursday at 10 a.m. 12.18.14 at 6:55 am ET
By   |  Comments Off

WEEI.com’s Alex Speier fields your questions in today’s 10 a.m. chat. Line up your questions now . . .

Live Blog Red Sox Hot Stove Live Chat, Thursday at 10am
 

Source: Red Sox have agreement with Justin Masterson 12.11.14 at 12:17 pm ET
By   |  Comments Off
Justin Masterson agreed to terms with the Red Sox, according to a source. (Getty Images)

Justin Masterson agreed to terms with the Red Sox, according to a source. (Getty Images)

The Red Sox have a one-year agreement with free agent right-hander Justin Masterson, a source tells WEEI.com’s Rob Bradford. The source adds the deal is for $9.5 million with incentives. The signing was first reported by ESPN’s Buster Olney.

According to WEEI.com’s Alex Speier, Red Sox medical officials met with Masterson last week after he endured a season-long struggle with health in 2014 that stemmed from torn cartilage in his rib cage and a consequent buildup of scar tissue. (A detailed look at Masterson’s injuries last year can be found here) The injuries contributed to a year-long struggle (7-9, 5.88 ERA in 28 games and 25 starts) with the Indians and Cardinals.

Masterson was drafted by the Red Sox in the second-round of the 2006 draft. He pitched in 67 games with the Red Sox, mostly out of the bullpen, between 2008-09 going 9-8 with a 3.76 ERA. Masterson was traded by the Sox to the Indians with prospects Nick Hagadone and Bryan Price at the ‘€™09 trade deadline for Victor Martinez.

The Red Sox now have a starting rotation (not in any order) of: Rick Porcello, Clay Buchholz, Joe Kelly, Wade Miley, Justin Masterson, and you could also throw Anthony Ranaudo into the mix given his major league experience last year.

For more Red Sox news, visit weei.com/redsox.

Read More: justin masterson,
Poll: Should Red Sox have upped offer to sign Jon Lester? 12.10.14 at 9:12 am ET
By   |  Comments Off

Jon Lester decided to accept a reported six-year, $155 million deal with the Cubs late Tuesday night. The Red Sox apparently did not offer near that much money.

How do you feel about the Red Sox refusing to match the Cubs’ offer?

Should the Red Sox have upped their offer to sign Jon Lester?

  • No, a six-year, $155 million deal for a 31-year-old pitcher is not smart business (69%)
  • Yes, they have the money and they should have spent it (31%)
Loading ... Loading ...
Read More: Jon Lester,
Jon Lester’s agent: Report that Red Sox are out ‘absolutely untrue’ 12.08.14 at 4:57 pm ET
By   |  Comments Off

Jon Lester‘s agent, Seth Levinson, shot down a report that the Red Sox are out on Lester and that he is now deciding between the Cubs and Giants, telling WEEI.com’s Rob Bradford that the idea is “absolutely untrue.”

UPDATE: Team sources also tell WEEI.com that they believe the report is inaccurate.

MLB on FOX’s Ken Rosenthal had previously reported that “barring late change,” Lester was deciding between the Cubs and Giants.

For complete coverage from the winter meetings, visit www.weei.com/redsox.

Buster Olney on Hot Stove Show: ‘Hard to imagine [Jon Lester signing for] less than $150 million’ 12.05.14 at 8:02 am ET
By   |  Comments Off
Buster Olney

Buster Olney

ESPN baseball analyst Buster Olney, in an interview on WEEI’s Hot Stove Show, said that the bidding for free agent left-hander Jon Lester seems destined to clear $150 million. That likely outcome, in turn, will not reflect well on the Red Sox‘ approach to extension talks in spring training, when the team made a four-year, $70 million offer.

“It was mind-boggling,” said Olney. “If in fact Jon Lester ends up signing someplace else for about $150 million, and given the presence of the Cubs and the Dodgers and the Giants and the Red Sox, it’s hard to imagine that it’s going to be for less than $150 million, there’s no question that one of the biggest things you take away from that is, my goodness the Red Sox miscalculated. That offer, whether it’s the Red Sox signing Lester to $150 million or some other team doing it, your reaction is the Red Sox really misread where the market was going to end up winding up.”

Olney said that the industry is still trying to get a feel for what the Dodgers’ late entry into the Lester sweepstakes means.

“I’m surprised that the Dodgers are in this late. I think everyone is still trying to figure out how serious it is, but it certainly changes the dynamics dramatically. Imagine if you have a weekend poker game with three of your neighbors and then someone walks in with a stack of hundreds. That’s kind of what’s going on here,” said Olney. “Let’s face it, the timing of this was such that suddenly we heard from the Dodgers on the day the Dodgers were meeting with Lester, it may be the classic Red Sox-Yankees push the opponent to pay as much as possible. I think there’s reason to think that, but because the Dodgers have so much money, as one general manager said to me today, they’re the new Yankees. When they jump in, you’ve got to take them seriously just because of how much money they have. Quite frankly, if they want him, then they’re probably going to get him, unless Jon Lester has a serious problem pitching with L.A. We just don’t know yet if their end game is to sign Lester.”

Whenever Lester does sign, Olney expects a flurry of moves involving a starting pitching market that has yet to start moving. Free agents could come off the board quickly, and trade activity could be significant.

“[Lester is] the biggest domino. He’s the bottleneck in the whole marketplace right now,” said Olney. “I will tell you that talking with some teams today and this evening, they’re telling me that there’s a ton of talk going on. Whereas three days ago there were a lot of teams that were just inclined to wait until the Lester thing happened, I think the fact that it may not get resolved to the middle of the winter meetings — which is the latest timetable I heard — I think teams are now lining up to do other things. But [James] Shields is directly affected. If Shields, let’s say for argument’s sake, the feeling entering the winter was Shields was most likely to end up with the Dodgers or the Red Sox, and if one of those two teams winds up with Lester, that affects Shields. Maybe the Cubs look at Shields more seriously because of the history now with Joe Maddon, now that he’s their manager. I think for guys like Francisco Liriano and Brandon McCarthy, they’re waiting for Jon Lester so they can kind of draft in his wake.” Read the rest of this entry »

Read More: buster olney, David Price, Jeff Samardzija, Jon Lester
Red Sox Hot Stove live chat, Wednesday at noon 12.03.14 at 10:49 am ET
By   |  Comments Off

‘Tis the season for all manner of rumors! WEEI.com’s Alex Speier will take stock of the rumor mill, answering your questions in a Hot Stove chat on Wednesday at noon. Line up your questions now:

Live Blog Red Sox Hot Stove chat – Wednesday at noon
 

Report: Cubs have $138 million offer to Jon Lester, Red Sox at $130 million 12.01.14 at 4:12 pm ET
By   |  Comments Off

According to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com, the Cubs currently have the high bid in for free agent left-hander Jon Lester at six years and $138 million, while the Red Sox have “suggested at least a willingness to go to $130 million for six years.” Heyman suggests that the Braves made an offer of a lower figure than that for Lester to play close to his Georgia home. He also notes that right-hander Tim Hudson has been involved in the Giants‘ efforts to recruit Lester. Given the number of interested suitors, Heyman suggests that there is a possibility that Lester will end up with a deal in excess of $25 million a year for a total commitment of $150 million or more.

Curt Schilling’s son accidentally causes bomb squad to respond at Logan Airport 11.22.14 at 2:52 pm ET
By   |  Comments Off

It was an unusual Saturday morning for the Schilling family.

While going through security at Logan Airport Saturday morning, Curt Schilling‘s son said he left a “fake grenade” in his bag. Moments later TSA agents called the bomb squad, but after they arrived and realized the situation, order was restored.

Read More: Curt Schilling,
Join Rob Bradford for Red Sox Hot Stove live chat, starting at noon 11.20.14 at 10:07 am ET
By   |  Comments Off

Join Rob Bradford of WEEI.com for a live chat, starting at noon, to talk all things Red Sox offseason (or anything else that might be on your mind). It’s a great way to warm up for tonight’s “Hot Stove Show” with Bradford, Alex Speier and Mike Mutnansky on WEEI, starting at 7 p.m. So get your question in now …

Live Blog Rob Bradford Hot Stove live chat
 

Pablo Sandoval arrives in Boston to meet with Red Sox officials 11.17.14 at 5:37 pm ET
By   |  Comments Off

Pablo Sandoval is reportedly in Boston to meet with the Red Sox. (Getty Images)

Pablo Sandoval is reportedly in Boston to meet with the Red Sox. (Getty Images)

The courtship of the Panda is officially underway.

WHDH Sports caught up with free agent third baseman Pablo Sandoval at Logan Airport. According to Joe Amorosino of WHDH (via twitter), Sandoval arrived with both brother Michael Sandoval and agent Gustavo Vasquez in anticipation of the 28-year-old’s meeting with Red Sox officials, though the third baseman was initially coy about his intentions.

“I’m on vacation. I just [came to] visit the city,” Sandoval joked to WHDH. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

Sandoval later provided a bit more about his enthusiasm to meet with the Red Sox.

“I love being here and the situation,” he told WHDH, nothing that he enjoys a good relationship with DH David Ortiz.

Vasquez said that “around five or six” teams remained interested in Sandoval, while Michael Sandoval suggested that his brother was very much open to any team, including the Red Sox.

“It can be Red Sox, can be any other uniform,” Michael Sandoval told WHDH. “The good part of this is he’ll get a chance to explore his value on the market, see who can really appreciate him and his work.”

The Sox have made little effort to hide their interest in Sandoval, acknowledging that their struggles at third base in 2014 combined with their need for more left-handed lineup balance make the switch-hitting Sandoval an obvious subject of the team’s interest. Vasquez, Sandoval’s agent, recentlly suggested that the third baseman would like a six-year deal, a goal that seemingly is in line with recent free agent history given Sandoval’s relatively young age.

Read More: Pablo Sandoval,
Ace Ticket
Red Sox Headlines
Red Sox Minor League News
Red Sox Team Leaders
MLB Headlines
Tips & Feedback

Verify