|Dustin Pedroia to undergo procedure Thursday||09.10.14 at 5:56 pm ET|
This news comes a day after Farrell had said that Pedroia “could be” shut down for the season due to inflammation in his left hand/wrist.
“He’s going to have a procedure done here tomorrow by Dr. Leibman in Boston that will address what he’s dealing with right now,” Farrell said Wednesday. “I don’t know any more specifics than that, but there will certainly be a follow-up after that’s completed tomorrow.”
Jemile Weeks remained at second base for the Sox on Wednesday. Farrell had previously said that Brock Holt was likely to be the team’s second baseman upon his recovery from a recent illness and stiff neck.
|Why you should have cared about Wednesday’s Red Sox game: They kind of made it interesting (and lost)||09.10.14 at 4:59 pm ET|
The Red Sox were in danger of being no-hit in a blowout Wednesday. Thanks to a five-run ninth, it just looked like a plain old normal 10-6 loss by the end of the game.
Dan Butler ended Wei-Yin Chen’s perfect game bid at 16 batters by belting a one-out double in the sixth inning. Xander Bogaerts followed the next inning with a solo homer to make it 8-1, but it was the Sox’ busy ninth after giving up two more runs that made things interesting. Daniel Nava drove in two with a double and Carlos Rivero followed with a three-run homer.
Wednesday marked the second straight day in which Bogaerts homered, bringing his total on the season to 11 dingers.
“I’m just trying to end the season strong and end on a positive note,” Bogaerts said after the game.
Butler doubled again in the bottom of the eighth inning, but as was the case with his previous hit, he was left stranded as the Sox failed to score in the inning.
Now for the bad stuff. Brandon Workman was shelled for the second time in his last three starts as he surrendered six hits and six runs, five of which were earned, over just three innings. He walked three batters and struck out three in tossing 62 pitches in the outing.
Craig Breslow didn’t fare much better, as he allowed two earned runs over his two innings of relief work. Tommy Layne showed up both pitchers in the sixth inning by being the first Boston pitcher of the day to not allow a run, and Alex Wilson followed in the seventh by turning in the first 1-2-3 inning by a Sox pitcher.
Junichi Tazawa tossed a clean eighth inning, with Edward Mujica surrendering four hits and two runs in the ninth inning.
Chen ended up going seven innings, allowing three hits, one earned run, striking out four and walking none on 93 pitches.
|Why you should have cared about this Red Sox game: Mookie Betts was good in leadoff spot||09.01.14 at 4:44 pm ET|
(For the final month of the regular season, Closing Time will now be called “Why you should have cared,” taking into consideration the team’s increasing distance from a .500 record.)
Mookie Betts has ascended up the Red Sox batting order in recent days, and his first tango in the leadoff spot suited him well in a 4-3, 10-inning loss to the Rays.
Betts had hit eighth in nine straight games after his mid-August recall and was moved up to seventh for three straight before hitting second on Sunday. He found success in the leadoff spot Monday, going 2-for-5 with an RBI double and a run scored.
The run scored was a key one, as Betts, after singling in the top of the eighth with the Sox trailing down a run, was advanced to second on a groundout by Brock Holt and scored on a Yoenis Cespedes single.
Monday marked Betts’ second straight game with an RBI, as he contributed a run-scoring single in Sunday’s win over the Rays.
Here are some other things to care about as the Sox fell to 60-77:
— Mike Napoli hit a solo shot to left-center in the bottom of the fourth to snap an 0-for-13 skid. With his 17th homer of the season, Napoli is closer to becoming the Sox’ second player with 20 home runs this season (David Ortiz leads the team with 30). Ortiz and Napoli were the only Sox hitters with 20 homers last season, which was the first time since 1997 that the Sox didn’t have at least three players hit 20 or more home runs.
— Though Napoli came through in the fourth, he struck out swinging to end the top of the eighth after Cespedes had tied the game.
|Solo shots, Jon Lester lead Red Sox past Yankees||06.28.14 at 10:03 pm ET|
Lester took a no-hitter into the sixth inning and allowed one run (unearned) over his eight innings of work, but the Sox struggled to generate offense of their own against Masahiro Tanaka, who tossed all nine innings for New York.
Both teams scored a run apiece in the third inning, with David Ross hitting a solo homer off Tanaka in the top of the frame and the Yankees cashing in on a sloppy inning from the Sox that included an error from Stephen Drew and a hit batter.
Lester’s no-hit bid was broken up by a Brett Gardner single to lead off the bottom of the sixth inning.
Koji Uehara pitched a 1-2-3 ninth inning for the Red Sox to earn his 17th save of the season.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE RED SOX
— Though he was caught attempting to stretch a single into a double (see below), Dustin Pedroia had three hits on the night for the Sox. It was Pedroia’s first three-hit game since June 7 against the Tigers.
— Pedroia came through big in the field in the bottom of the eighth inning with a diving stop on a ground ball from Derek Jeter. With Gardner having walked to lead off the eighth, Pedroia dove to get to the ball and flipped it from his glove to Drew to start a 4-6-3 double play.
— It was a good night for Ross, who also threw out Gardner in the bottom of the sixth inning.
— Things went from terrifying to all good for the Sox in the bottom of the eighth, as a throw from Ross to try to catch Jacoby Ellsbury stealing second went into the outfield with two out and two strikes on Mark Teixeira. Though television cameras were on Ellsbury advancing to third and turning for home, home plate umpire Andy Fletcher had called strike three on the play, ending the inning.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE RED SOX
— Credit Pedroia for both a gutsy decision and a great slide, but his attempt at stretching a single on a ball hit to shallow left center into a double cost the Sox in the top of the sixth inning. Pedroia challenged the arm of Ellsbury and slid to avoid the tag at second base. He was initially called safe, but a challenge from Joe Girardi yielded the correct call that he was tagged in the thigh before touching the bag.
— In a game reminiscent of John Lackey‘s dominant nine scoreless innings that yielded him a no-decision back on the June 18 against the Twins, the Sox saw their staring pitcher turn in a superb performance, only to receive minimal run support. The Red Sox themselves had only five hits through the first eight innings. They finished with seven on the night.
Interestingly enough, Napoli also homered to win that game against the Twins as well.
|David Ortiz: ‘The scorekeepers here are always horrible’||06.18.14 at 5:59 pm ET|
In the latest show of disagreement with a scorekeeper (and there have been others), the designated hitter yelled up at the press box and gave a thumbs down in the direction of scorekeeper Bob Ellis after Ellis ruled a play on which Ortiz reached an error.
The play occurred in the bottom of the seventh, when Ortiz hit a ball toward first base that Joe Mauer was unable to handle. The play was followed up by a Mike Napoli inning-ending double play, but Ortiz was more upset with not being credited with the hit than the Sox failing to capitalize late in a scoreless game.
Even after tying the game with a solo shot in the 10th inning, Ortiz wasn’t done showing his frustration with not getting the hit.
“It’s always so hard here, man,” Ortiz said after he and Napoli hit back-to-back shots to win the game. “I thought they were supposed to have your back at home, and it never happens. It’s always like that. I’ve been here for more than a decade and the scorekeepers here are always horrible. This is home, man.
“What do you want Mauer to do? He dove for the ball and knocked it down. I always look like I am the bad guy, but they always end up changing it. Don’t be just checking on Papi, check on the scorekeeper. See what he’s doing wrong. It’s something that’s getting out of control.”
When asked what he was yelling to the scorekeeper, Ortiz responded, “What is he watching? He’s not watching the same ball game that everybody’s watching, I guess.”
The bigger issue there, of course, was that he showed his disagreement when he did and the way he did. Still, Ortiz said it was necessary to voice his opinion right then and there.
“I’ve got to make it clear,” Ortiz said. “It’s not my first rodeo, man.”
|Felix Doubront ready to go Friday if Red Sox use him in Brandon Workman’s place||06.18.14 at 5:18 pm ET|
Felix Doubront appears a good bet to get Friday’s start in Oakland, a spot that is now vacant with Brandon Workman serving his six-game suspension.
“He’s a definite candidate, Felix is,” John Farrell said Wednesday. “He’s on turn, but we’ll have that announcement by tomorrow.”
Doubront would not say whether he is starting the game for sure, but saying only, “I just heard I have to be ready for Friday.”
The 26-year-old lefty, who was dealing with a shoulder injury, is back in Boston after making three rehab starts between Double A Portland and Triple A Pawtucket.
Doubront last pitched Sunday for Pawtucket, striking out 10 batters over five innings of work.
“I feel good,” Doubront said. “Like I said, I’m ready. Ready to come back and [it's] good to be here again.”
In nine starts for the Red Sox this season, Doubront is 2-4 with a 5.12 ERA.
|Closing Time: Red Sox return favor to John Lackey with back-to-back homers in walkoff win||06.18.14 at 4:12 pm ET|
John Lackey was masterful in a three-hit, complete game showing Wednesday at Fenway Park, and the Red Sox finally returned the favor in the 10th inning with back-to-back homers from David Ortiz and Mike Napoli for a 2-1 walkoff win. The victory completed a three-game sweep of the Twins.
With Lackey’s day done and the Sox with just one hit themselves, Koji Uehara allowed a home run to Chris Parmelee in the top of the 10th inning to give Minnesota a 1-0 lead. The home run was just out of the reach of Brock Holt, who made a play for it but ultimately saw it land in the Boston bullpen.
The Sox, who had been blanked by starter Kyle Gibson and the rest of the Twins to that point, answered back when Ortiz crushed a ball to deep right in the bottom of the 10th and Napoli drilled a shot off Casey Fien to center for the win.
Thanks to the work of Lackey, the Sox were able to survive a dominant performance from Gibson, who held Boston to just one hit over his seven innings of work. Gibson walked nobody and struck out eight, though two Sox did reach on errors.
Daniel Nava broke up Gibson’s no-hit bid in the fifth inning with a ground rule double to right with two out, but Gibson escaped the frame by getting A.J. Pierzynski to ground out to second.
Lackey was extremely efficient in his outing, needing just 105 pitches to get through nine innings. He had nine strikeouts and didn’t walk a batter until the ninth inning, though no further damage was done.
The Sox will next head west for a seven-game road trip that will begin with a four-game series in Oakland.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE RED SOX
— Lackey has pitched at least 6 1/3 innings in his last six starts and has given up a total of eight runs in that span.
On Wednesday, the Twins didn’t have a runner advance past first base until Parmelee — who was the only batter to reach base for Minnesota to that point with a pair of singles — went to second on a wild pitch from Lackey in the fifth inning.
|Red Sox hitting coach Greg Colbrunn hospitalized after subarachnoid hemorrhage||06.05.14 at 6:34 pm ET|
Red Sox hitting coach Greg Colbrunn did not travel with the team to Detroit after being admitted to the Cleveland Clinic with a subarachnoid hemorrhage on Wednesday.
Colbrunn is expected to remain in Cleveland, according to a statement released by the team. The statement is as follows:
Greg was admitted to the Cleveland Clinic last night after experiencing dizziness prior to Wednesday’s Red Sox-Indians game. After evaluation, it was determined that Greg had suffered subarachnoid hemorrhage.
Red Sox medical director, Dr. Larry Ronan and physicians from the Cleveland Clinic expect Greg to make a good recovery. However, for the next few days, Greg will remain in Cleveland for further evaluation.
For more Red Sox news, visit weei.com/redsox.
|David Ortiz on David Price: ‘I guess the rules are not for everyone’||06.03.14 at 4:47 pm ET|
Predictably, David Ortiz was not happy to learn that Brandon Workman was suspended for throwing at Evan Longoria while David Price skated after starting last Friday’s fracas with what the Boston designated hitter called “some punk-ass [expletive].”
After Price, who has a history with Ortiz dating back to last season’s ALDS, plunked Ortiz in the first inning and hit Mike Carp in the fourth, warnings were issued to both teams. Workman missed behind the head of Longoria in the sixth inning, resulting in his ejection.
Speaking to reporters Tuesday, Ortiz was heated at the lack of discipline for Price.
“I don’t even know what to say, you know? I mean, he started everything up and we’ve got to pay for it, basically,” Ortiz said. “That’s the message that I’m getting, right? I don’t have any answer about that, but it’s like I say, way too much evidence now that he hit me on purpose, and the funny thing is that we are the ones that are getting fines, suspensions, all kind of stuff. I guess the rules are not for everyone.”
Price said prior to Saturday’s game that Ortiz acts like he’s “bigger than the game of baseball.” Ortiz disagreed with that, and he also was irritated that Price still harbored animosity toward him over Game 2 of the ALDS, in which Price felt Ortiz looked at one of his home runs a little too long.
“He says I think I’m bigger than the game? Who around the league can say that about myself? It’s basically what happens every time the pitcher screws up,” Ortiz said. ‘They’re always looking for excuses. You’re never going to see a pitcher coming out and saying, ‘Yeah, I hit him on purpose.’ ‘Oh, I was trying to establish my fastball in.’ Bro, you’ve given eight walks in 80 innings. You know what you’re doing out there.
“In my case, when he hit me I was a little confused because everything, the way it went down the year before and stuff. Basically, first inning, but as the game goes by I start thinking about things and seeing things different, and that’s why I was so angry after the game. … I don’t think what they’re doing is fair. I think the rules should be for everybody.”
While the fact that the benches cleared between the two teams twice in less than a week would suggest things could remain heated between the two clubs going forward, Ortiz said Price will not hit him again.
“In my case, I made my point clear. I’m not going to get hit again, not by him. I’m not going to get hit again my him,” Ortiz said. ‘He did it on purpose, he punked me and that’s very disrespectful. I’m a grown-ass man, I’ve been around the league for a long time and I know how to take care of business on my own.”
|Stephen Drew doesn’t anticipate any issues with Xander Bogaerts||06.02.14 at 6:00 pm ET|
Stephen Drew is back in the Red Sox‘ lineup as he makes his season debut Monday. Drew, who signed a one-year deal to return to the team last month, went 3-for-8 with Class-A Greenville and 2-for-14 with Triple-A Pawtucket before getting the call back to the Sox.
“I feel good,” Drew told reporters Monday. “In as limited at-bats as I had, my goal was to see as many pitches as I could and that is what I did down there, try to see every pitch possible before I get up here. There will be an adjustment up here; the game is a little bit different up here, that’s nothing new to me, just something playing games up here will accumulate.’’
Drew spent the beginning of the season working out in Miami and Georgia as he kept himself in game shape while awaiting a resolution on his contract situation. After spending recent days in the minors, Drew said he still expects some sort of adjustment, but that it shouldn’t take long.
“It’s nothing new; I think that’s going to come,” Drew said. “I know the pitchers here, which is good. It will take a few games to get acclimated with the speed here, but I think overall it will be fine.”
The 31-year-old will take over as the team’s primary shortstop, with Xander Bogaerts serving as the team’s third baseman.
Drew said that he doesn’t feel there will be any sort of rift between he and Bogaerts, and that he feels Bogaerts understands that the team is better off with Drew playing short and Bogaerts manning third.
“I talked to him, just me and him,” Drew said. “I was kind of in the same boat in Arizona with [Craig] Counsell there and coming up, so basically it’s going to hopefully make the team better. That’s the reason why they look at it, going back to last year he played really well at third.
“It’s not that he can’t play short, I just think it makes the club better. We’re fine. I talked to him. I know what it felt like when I was that age and I was the same thing coming up with Counsell. I gave him my advice there and we’re on the same page.’’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo
- Red Sox deal Anthony Ranaudo to Rangers for Robbie Ross Jr.
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Perth heads to the playoffs
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings