Full Count
A Furiously Updated Red Sox Blog
WEEI.com Blog Network
Woman sues John Henry for negligence over 2014 foul ball injury at Fenway 08.28.15 at 1:55 pm ET
By   |  Comments Off on Woman sues John Henry for negligence over 2014 foul ball injury at Fenway

Injuries caused by foul balls and bats have become a major issue in baseball this year, especially after the Red Sox had two scary incidents earlier this season that led to fans being hospitalized.

Now a woman who was stuck by a ball last year at Fenway is suing owner John Henry for negligence.

Stephanie Taubin, a 46-year-old from Brookline, filed the lawsuit Wednesday in Suffolk Superior Court, The Boston Globe reported in Friday’s editions.

Citing court records, the Globe reports that Taubin said she was in the EMC Club in the area above home plate on June 17, 2014, and protective glass had been removed for renovations, leaving fans at greater risk. She was struck by a foul ball and suffered facial fractures and neurological damage, the complaint states.

She claims to have incurred medical expenses, lost wages and diminished earning capacity.

The Red Sox said in a statement to the Globe that the team “is unaware of the specifics [of the lawsuit] and generally does not comment on pending legal matters. But the safety of Red Sox fans and providing a quality ballpark experience are essential to the Red Sox, and to Mr. Henry, and are goals for which we strive as an organization to deliver.”

In an incident on June 5 of this season, a woman from Paxton seated near the visitors dugout was hit in the face by a piece of a bat that broke during a swing. Tonya Carpenter, 44, suffered sever injuries that required a week-long stay at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and additional treatment at a rehabilitation facility.

On July 10, a Connecticut woman seated on the third-base side was struck in the forehead by a hard-hit foul ball. Stephanie Wapenski, 36, received more than 30 stitches and spent the night in the hospital for examination.

Read More: John Henry,
Report: Pete Rose bet on baseball while playing 06.22.15 at 1:56 pm ET
By   |  Comments Off on Report: Pete Rose bet on baseball while playing
Pete Rose (Andy Lyons/Getty Images)

Pete Rose might have blown his chance for reinstatement with the news that he allegedly bet on baseball during his playing career, despite his previous denials. (Andy Lyons/Getty Images)

Reds legend Pete Rose, who remains banned from baseball for betting on games as a manager, also bet on games during his playing career, according to a report from ESPN’s Outside the Lines.

The program obtained copies of pages from notebook of Rose associate Michael Bertolini documenting Rose’s gambling form March through July of 1986, when Rose was player-manager of the Reds. It indicates that he regularly bet on baseball, including on the Reds on days he was playing — although there was no evidence he bet against his team.

Most of the bets were for $2,000. There also were notations of bets on college and pro basketball, including a $5,500 bet on the Celtics (which was a loser), the biggest bet of any sport.

The notebook was seized from Bertolini during a raid by the U.S. Postal Inspection Service in October 1989, about two months after Rose had been declared permanently ineligible by MLB.

Rose admitted in 2004 that he bet on games as a manager — after denying it for 15 years — but he has continued to insist he never bet on games as a player. During an April appearance on Michael Kay’s show on ESPN Radio in New York, Rose said: “Never bet as a player: That’s a fact.”

Rose, baseball’s all-time hits leader, has been pushing for reinstatement this year.

Rose’s lawyer, Raymond Genco, issued a statement to ESPN on behalf of Rose, reading: “Since we submitted the application earlier this year, we committed to MLB that we would not comment on specific matters relating to reinstatement. I need to maintain that. To be sure, I’m eager to sit down with [MLB commissioner Rob] Manfred to address my entire history — the good and the bad — and my long personal journey since baseball. That meeting likely will come sometime after the All-Star break. Therefore at this point, it’s not appropriate to comment on any specifics.”

Read More: Pete Rose,
MLB cancels 60 million-plus All-Star votes due to concerns about impropriety 06.19.15 at 9:45 am ET
By   |  Comments Off on MLB cancels 60 million-plus All-Star votes due to concerns about impropriety

Faced with the threat of having eight Royals players in the starting lineup for next month’s All-Star Game, MLB announced Thursday that up to 65 million ballots were canceled due to concerns of impropriety.

MLB Advanced Media CEO Bob Bowman told Yahoo! Sports that more than 300 million votes have been accepted, and the record of 390 million should soon be passed. Voting ends July 2.

Each fan is allowed to vote up to 35 times, but there have been cases of multiple voting accounts linked to the same IP address. Bowman said this is not the first year MLB has had to eliminate a large number of votes.

“I’m not saying we bat 1.000,” Bowman said. “But it’s between 60 [million] and 65 million votes that have been canceled. We don’t really trumpet it because if someone things they’re getting away with it, they’ll try to again.”

Royals fans have been stuffing the ballot box, putting even light-hitting second baseman Omar Infante in the lead at his position. Angels star Mike Trout was the only non-Royal in line to start.

“We scrubbed the first set[s] of numbers incredibly thoroughly,” Bowman said. “We said, ‘Can this possibly be right? Look at all these votes for Kansas City.’ It just didn’t turn out that way.”

Read More: MLB All-Star Game,
Curt Schilling on D&C regarding Wade Miley-John Farrell confrontation: ‘With guys that are dumb-asses, sometimes it happens in front of the camera’ 06.12.15 at 9:48 am ET
By   |  Comments Off on Curt Schilling on D&C regarding Wade Miley-John Farrell confrontation: ‘With guys that are dumb-asses, sometimes it happens in front of the camera’

ESPN analyst Curt Schilling checked in with Dennis & Callahan on Friday morning to offer his views on the John Farrell-Wade Miley confrontation from Thursday night. To hear the interview, go to the Dennis & Callahan audio on demand page.

During Thursday’s 6-5 loss to the Orioles, Miley — who allowed five runs in four innings — expressed his frustration to the manager in the Red Sox dugout after being told he would not return for the fifth inning. Farrell followed Miley down the tunnel to the locker room and later downplayed the confrontation rather than publicly admonishing the left-hander.

Schilling, who pitched for the Red Sox when Farrell was the team’s pitching coach, said Farrell might have been careful with his words to the media, but he’s sure the 6-foot-4 field general flexed his muscles in private.

“I promise you there was a conversation in which John said, ‘If this ever happens again I’ll break you in half,’ to some degree,” Schilling said. “John Farrell isn’t just a big dude and he doesn’t just have an intimidating presence. He’ll throw down.

“This happens all the time,” Schilling added. “It generally happens a lot of time behind the scenes. With guys that are dumb-asses, sometimes it happens in front of the camera.”

Asked if the postgame conversation would have happened in front of the team, Schilling said that’s not necessary.

“There’s no sound-proof door on the manager’s office, which is about 11 inches away from the clubhouse,” Schilling said. “You don’t need to do it in front of the team to make sure the team knows.”

Read the rest of this entry »

Read More: ben cherington, Curt Schilling, John Farrell, wade miley
Red Sox lineup: Brock Holt in for Pablo Sandoval 06.03.15 at 11:39 am ET
By   |  Comments Off on Red Sox lineup: Brock Holt in for Pablo Sandoval
Brock Holt

Brock Holt

The offensively challenged Red Sox look for another stellar outing from left-hander Eduardo Rodriguez on Wednesday afternoon when they play the first game of a day-night doubleheader against the Twins.

Coming off Tuesday’s 1-0 win, the Sox will insert Brock Holt into the lineup for Pablo Sandoval as they go up against Twins right-hander Phil Hughes. Sandy Leon, who caught Clay Buchholz‘s shutout on Tuesday, returns to the lineup to catch Rodriguez in his second career start.

Here is the Red Sox lineup. For a detailed analysis of the pitching matchup, click here.

Dustin Pedroia, 2B
Mookie Betts, CF
David Ortiz, DH
Hanley Ramirez, LF
Mike Napoli, 1B
Brock Holt, 3B
Xander Bogaerts, SS
Sandy Leon, C
Rusney Castillo, RF
Eduardo Rodriguez, P

Read More: Brock Holt, Pablo Sandoval,
Report: Red Sox trade for Orioles OF Alejandro De Aza 06.03.15 at 9:36 am ET
By   |  Comments Off on Report: Red Sox trade for Orioles OF Alejandro De Aza
Alejandro De Aza

Alejandro De Aza

The Red Sox have acquired lefty-hitting outfielder Alejandro De Aza, who had been designated for assignment by the Orioles last week, according to a report from Fox Sports’ Ken Rosenthal.

The speedy Dominican has played for three teams since debuting with the Marlins in 2007, posting a career line of .265/.328/.401 with 41 home runs, 196 RBIs and 81 stolen bases in 119 attempts over 596 games.

In 30 games with the O’s this season, the 31-year-old was hitting .214/.277/.359 with three home runs, seven RBIs and two steals in four attempts.

De Aza is the Sox’ latest attempt to find some production from the left side of the box. Last week the Sox acquired 28-year-old Carlos Peguero from the Rangers. Peguero had been DFA’d by Texas prior to the deal.

Read More: Alejandro De Aza,
Red Sox-Twins postponed to Wednesday afternoon 06.01.15 at 2:13 pm ET
By   |  Comments Off on Red Sox-Twins postponed to Wednesday afternoon

Monday night’s Red Sox-Twins game at Fenway Park has been postponed due to rain. It will be made up Wednesday afternoon (1:35) as part of a split-admission, day-night doubleheader.

Clay Buchholz, who was scheduled to pitch Monday, will start for the Red Sox Tuesday, with Eduardo Rodriguez pitching Game 1 Wednesday, and Rick Porcello going in Game 2. Steven Wright gets the start in the series finale Thursday afternoon.

The Red Sox are beginning June with a four-game series against the red-hot Twins. For a preview of the series, click here.

Former Red Sox OF Yoenis Cespedes unhappy about treatment in Boston 05.27.15 at 12:54 pm ET
By   |  Comments Off on Former Red Sox OF Yoenis Cespedes unhappy about treatment in Boston
Yoenis Cespedes

Yoenis Cespedes

Yoenis Cespedes’ time with the Red Sox was brief, and he said he knows why. Cespedes, now with the Tigers after an offseason trade, said he clashed with Sox first base coach Arnie Beyeler, and that led to what the outfielder implies was a smear campaign against him.

“There were some rumors in Boston, things that were said about me that I said were not true, so I knew they were going to trade me,” Cespedes told USA Today’s Jorge L. Ortiz. “The first base coach treated me like I was a rookie when I got there, wanted me to do things a rookie would do, and I told him I wasn’t going to, so he started talking.”

Cespedes was acquired by the Sox from the A’s at last year’s trade deadline. Right away there was speculation that he would not last in Boston, as he is due to become a free agent after the 2015 season.

The 29-year-old also questioned the decision-making of the A’s, who saw a drop-off in production after moving the Cuban slugger in a deal for Jon Lester. Oakland, which was in first place in the AL West at the time of the trade, went 22-33 the rest of the season. This season the A’s have the league’s worst record (17-31).

“[Fellow Cuban Ariel Prieto] would tell me Oakland is a school where they develop the players, then they let them go,” Cespedes said Monday before the Tigers opened a three-game series in Oakland. “I was a little surprised to see some of the main figures leave.”

Reminded that the A’s have a reputation for trading up-and-coming players rather than paying them, Cespedes replied: “Then why operate? Don’t they want to win a championship?”

A’s manager Bob Melvin said he’s not interested in discussing his former player.

“I think we have to move on,” Melvin said. “He’s with a new team and we have a new complement of guys. . . . Baseball’s a transient business. Guys move around from time to time. He’s just one of the guys who was here and had an impact, and he’s no longer here.”

Cespedes, who is hitting .285/.318/.469 with five home runs, 24 RBIs and a league-high 16 doubles in 47 games, is the two-time defending All-Star Home Run Derby champion, and he said he plans to defend his title this summer.

Read More: Arnie Beyeler, Yoenis Cespedes,
Bobby Valentine on MFB: ‘I wasn’t able to establish the trust that was needed’ from Red Sox coaching staff in 2012 05.20.15 at 12:34 pm ET
By   |  Comments Off on Bobby Valentine on MFB: ‘I wasn’t able to establish the trust that was needed’ from Red Sox coaching staff in 2012

Former Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine, who will return to Fenway Park on Wednesday night to make an appearance with ESPN’s broadcast team, checked in with Middays with MFB on Wednesday morning and discussed some of the controversies that ensued during his brief tenure in Boston. To hear the interview, go to the MFB audio on demand page.

Now the executive director of athletics at Sacred Heart University in Connecticut, Valentine said he has no hesitation about returning to Fenway despite his inglorious exit after a 2012 season that included poor play on the field and numerous controversies off it.

“I could give a darn about anxiety,” he said. “I have a lot of friends that I left in Boston. I’ve been in Boston 15 times in the last couple of years. I’m excited about getting back there.”

Valentine was fired one day after a disastrous season in which the Sox finished last in the American League East at 69-92, but he insists he doesn’t worry about any regrets.

“I don’t really look back much at any of my life,” he said. “All I know is that it’s all about sevens — there was seven years in Texas and seven years in New York and seven years in Japan and seven months in Boston. It was all kind of fun looking back at all those things. But I don’t do the microscope. I try to look forward and enjoy what I’m doing today.”

Much was made of the issues Valentine had with his coaching staff that season.

“I think you hit on the key word there: trust,” Valentine said. “That was my mistake, that I wasn’t able to establish the trust that was needed throughout that entire group that were in uniform together. Whether it’s my fault or someone else’s fault, who knows. I’m not a blame-thrower. I can just tell you that when you bring me back to that year that probably the biggest problem was that I delegated the people who were going to speak my gospel, that they didn’t know the language that the gospel was written in.”

Read the rest of this entry »

Read More: ben cherington, Bobby Valentine, John Farrell, John Henry
New PawSox owner Jim Skeffington dead at 73 05.18.15 at 11:22 am ET
By   |  Comments Off on New PawSox owner Jim Skeffington dead at 73
Jim Skeffington

Jim Skeffington

Providence attorney Jim Skeffington, who was part of the group that recently purchased the Pawtucket Red Sox with plans to move the team to Providence, died Sunday night, reportedly after suffering a heart attack while jogging.

“It is with profound sadness that I confirm the death of Jim Skeffington,” PawSox spokeswoman Patti Doyle said in a statement Monday morning. “His son, Jim Skeffington Jr., will issue a statement on behalf of his family later today.”

A Providence native, Skeffington graduated from Boston College and Georgetown Law School before returning to work with corporate and governmental clients in Rhode Island, according to the Providence Journal. He was involved in numerous public projects in the Providence area, including the Rhode Island Convention Center and the Providence Place mall.

“I am deeply saddened by the stunning news of the passing of Jim Skeffington,”
Rhode Island House Speaker Nicholas Mattiello said in a statement. “He was a true legend in the Rhode Island legal and business communities, having a hand in nearly every major project in our state for decades.

“Jim was a gentleman in every sense of the word and a real champion for all that is good about Rhode Island. It is tragic that he did not live long enough to see his vision for the Pawtucket Red Sox come to fruition, but he left a legacy that will live on for generations to come. He loved Rhode Island, and I will miss my friend.”

Skeffington and Red Sox president/CEO Larry Lucchino were the most visible partners in the new PawSox ownership group.

Read More: James Skeffington,
Red Sox Box Score
Red Sox Schedule
Mercedes Benz
Red Sox Headlines
Red Sox Minor League News
Red Sox Team Leaders
MLB Headlines
Tips & Feedback

Verify