|Curt Schilling announces he will run for United States Senate against Elizabeth Warren in 2018 … Sort of||10.18.16 at 12:11 pm ET|
Appearing on WPRO-AM in Providence Tuesday morning, Schilling offered the most definitive commitment to date when it came to his political future.
“I’ve made my decision. I’m going to run,” Schilling said during the interview. “But – but – I haven’t talked to Shonda, my wife. And ultimately it’s going to come down to how her and I feel this would affect our marriage and our kids.”
Two recent polls showed Warren with a substantial lead over Schilling, with the WBZ/UMass survey conducted last month coming in at 47 percent for the incumbent, and 28 percent for the Republican challenger. A WBUR poll from a few weeks earlier had it at 54 to 29 percent, in favor of Warren.
Schilling said in the interview that he looked forward to a debate with Warren.
“I’m not worried – it doesn’t scare me,” he said. “Listen, I was a part of the team that came back to beat the Indians from being down three games to one – I’ve beaten the real ones before. So I’m not worried about that.”
Schilling will appear on the Kirk & Callahan Show Wednesday morning.
|Pedro Martinez labels Andrew Miller’s performance best postseason run he’s ever seen||10.15.16 at 9:23 pm ET|
When you’re called the best by the pitcher many considered the best, you could say that’s the highest of praise.
Saturday night, after another dominating performance by Indians’ reliever Andrew Miller, Pedro Martinez took to Twitter to label the lefty’s current run through the best postseason as unlike anything the Hall of Famer has ever seen.
I have been in many postseasons and hadn't seen anybody dominate like Andrew Miller.
— Pedro Martinez (@45PedroMartinez) October 15, 2016
— Pedro Martinez (@45PedroMartinez) October 15, 2016
— Pedro Martinez (@45PedroMartinez) October 15, 2016
Miller has struck out 17 of the batters he faced throughout the playoffs, allowing two walks and three hits over 7 2/3 innings. His latest outing was a two-inning stint in the Indians’ 2-1 Game 2 win over the Blue Jays in the American League Championship Series, in which the lefty struck out five without allowing a baserunner.
|Don’t count on full-time designated hitter for Red Sox next season||10.11.16 at 4:32 pm ET|
Both manager John Farrell and president Dave Dombrowski were non-committal when it came to the Red Sox’ plan when it comes to finding another designated hitter for 2017.
The first clarification is really whether or not the Red Sox will continue to implement a full-time designated hitter instead of somebody who bounces back and forth from the field to the DH role.
Only five American League teams had players who appeared in more than 100 games at the designated hitter spot, with Ortiz leading the way with 140 games played at DH. And of that group, Nelson Cruz, who served as a DH in 107 contests, really should be lumped in with the others who rotated between positions, such as Edwin Encarnacion and Carlos Santana.
“If that one guy hits 38 home runs and drives in 130, you’ll take that full-time DH,” Farrell said. “I think anything that you talk roster-wise, these are all discussions that are yet to be had. You really have no idea who’s available in terms of adding to your roster at this point in time of the season. I don’t know that that hitter exists right now, to be honest with you.”
The closest potential option to finding something close to Ortiz’s production will be Encarnacion, who is slated to become a free agent this offseason after hitting 42 home runs with an .886 OPS in 160 games.
If the Red Sox did want to make a run at the 33-year-old, there could be a scenario where Hanley Ramirez and Encarnacion rotate between first base and designated hitter. There is also the possibility the Sox use Ramirez as their primary DH, with Travis Shaw, Pablo Sandoval, Yoan Moncada and Sam Travis all allowing for flexibility between first base and third base.
“He might be both. I don’t really know that answer,” said Dombrowski when asked about Ramirez, who hit .364 with a 1.167 OPS in 48 plate appearances at DH this season. “I think he’s capable of doing both. Actually, to me, he did a fine job at first base. Personally, I like the availability of the option of doing both, because I think that if you have that flexibility, it probably fits with us better with the personnel that we have going forward. But we also have to have conversations with Hanley, too, before we get to that point.
“He’s shown he can play first base. I know he can also DH. He had a tremendous year. Last night when I walked around the clubhouse and shook everybody’s hand and wished them well, I made a special point to tell him how proud I was of him, how the organization was of him, how hard he worked. He deserves a lot of credit starting last wintertime with the approach and attitude he took. We look forward to big things next year for him.”
|Here are 2 statistics you weren’t paying attention to that are dooming Red Sox||10.10.16 at 11:05 am ET|
Starting pitching? They have a combined 11.74 ERA. And the Red Sox hitters are batting just .200.
And then there is what has happened when the Red Sox get to two-strike counts, or when the Indians get runners into scoring position.
Forty-four of the Red Sox’ 69 plate appearances in the first two games has seen their hitters face two strikes. The results haven’t been good. Sox batters are hitting just .119 (5-for-42) when getting to the count, striking out a whopping 22 times.
Conversely, the Indians are batting .256 (10-for-39) when getting to two-strike counts
Making the stat even more frustrating is that the Red Sox were the best two-strike-hitting team in the majors during the regular season, hitting .209.
As for the runners in scoring position thing, the Indians have five hits in 10 at-bats in such scenarios. The Red Sox? They’re 2-for-14.
Along those lines, the Red Sox’ relievers have allowed three inherited runners to score in the two games at Progressive Field after letting just one of 24 come across in the first three weeks of September.
It would certainly behoove the Red Sox to start reversing these trends starting Monday night.
|Xander Bogaerts clarifies he’s not dealing with injury or exhaustion||10.09.16 at 6:48 pm ET|
The shortstop did manage a single in Game 2 of the American League Division Series, but he is still just 1-for-8 with four strikeouts in the two games against the Indians. Bogaerts simply hasn’t been the same kind of presence the Sox had become used.
With that in mind, it would be fair to at least inquire if Bogaerts was dealing with any kind of physical issue after playing 159 games this season. So?
“Now, I feel good,” Bogaerts told WEEI.com Sunday afternoon. “I don’t have any problems. We’ve had a lot of time off, in between games. So I feel rested. Physically, I feel really good.”
The only noticeable injury the shortstop has sustained this season came on April 23 in Houston when Bogaerts was hit in the right wrist by a Luke Gregerson pitch.
The 24-year-old did lead all major league shortstops with 719 plate appearances, finishing up hitting .294 with an .802 OPS.
During a late June series in Texas, Bogaerts did admit to being tired. Since that statement Bogaerts has managed just a .249 batting average with a .721 OPS. Yet, the shortstop insisted Sunday fatigue was also not an issue.
“I’ve been past it,” said Bogaerts of the midseason exhaustion. “Physically, I feel really good. I feel good. I feel fresh and ready to go.”
Bogaerts is optimistic the tide will turn when Game 3 rolls around, in part because of his, and his team’s, return to Fenway Park. At home this season, the righty hitter has been appreciably more effective, hitting .323 with an .889 OPS.
“I’m just trying to slow down the game. Timing is starting to come back slowly,” Bogaerts said. “Hopefully playing here will help a lot. This is our home. I feel good about it.”
|Closing Time: Red Sox 1 loss away from elimination after Game 2 horror show||10.07.16 at 7:58 pm ET|
CLEVELAND — This was a disaster.
The idea that the Red Sox’ American League Division Series Game 1 loss at Progressive Field was simply an opportunity for John Farrell’s team to get it’s postseason feet wet went out the window in a hurry in Friday afternoon. Instead the Sox ended up drowning, and are heading back to Fenway Park one loss away from elimination because of it.
Everything that could have gone wrong in the Red Sox’ 6-0 loss to the Indians pretty much did, starting with the performance of starting pitcher David Price.
Price lasted just 3 1/3 innings and 65 pitches, allowing five runs while watching postseason ERA as a starter climb to 5.74 in nine outings. He gave way to reliever Matt Barnes with two runners aboard.
The Red Sox’ lefty allowed six hits, none bigger than Lonnie Chisenhall’s three-run home run in the second inning. The line-drive over the right field wall gave the Indians a four-run lead after just two innings, which proved more than enough for Cleveland starter Corey Kluber.
That leads us to the other major problem for the Red Sox, their offense.
Kluber, who hadn’t thrown more than 60 pitches since Sept. 21 due to a hamstring issue, dominated the Sox bats. The former Cy Young Award winner gave up just three hits over seven innings, striking out seven. The righty left with two on and nobody out in the eighth inning.
|MLB announces start times for potential ALDS Game 4 and 5||10.07.16 at 3:58 pm ET|
CLEVELAND – Major League Baseball has announced that if there is a Game 4 in the American League Division Series between the Red Sox and Indians it will start at 6:08 pm at Fenway Park on Monday.
MLB released the possible start times for a potential Game 5, which would be slated for either 6:08 pm or 8:08 pm on Wednesday. That game would be in Cleveland.
|Red Sox lineup: Andrew Benintendi moved up to No. 7 spot||10.07.16 at 1:08 pm ET|
The rookie has been moved up to the Red Sox’ No. 7 spot in the batting order for Game 2, with Jackie Bradley Jr. sliding to No. 9. Besides that switch, the rest of the Red Sox’ lineup remains intact against Cleveland starter Corey Kluber.
Here is the Red Sox’ lineup with David Price on the mound for the visitors:
Dustin Pedroia 2B
Brock Holt 3B
Mookie Betts RF
David Ortiz DH
Hanley Ramirez 1B
Xander Bogaerts SS
Andrew Benintendi LF
Sandy Leon C
Jackie Bradley Jr. CF
|David Ortiz: ‘I’m going to bring my best [Friday]. That’s how I am’||10.07.16 at 3:35 am ET|
CLEVELAND — It was business as usual for David Ortiz following his team’s 5-4 loss to the Indians Thursday night. Talking on the phone. Some postgame treatment. A quick visit from physical therapist Dan Dyrek. And then off to the team bus.
You would have never known he might actually be two games away from the end of his career.
“Hey, listen, this is not over yet. We’ve got plenty of games to play,” Ortiz said after the first game of the American League Division Series against the Indians. “I’m going to bring my best [Friday]. That’s how I am. And I’m pretty sure my teammates will, too, so see you manana.”
For much of the night, Ortiz was left with frustration.
After his first two at-bats resulted in a foul out and a ground out, the designated hitter was put on the spot in the fifth inning. With runners on first and second, two outs and the Red Sox trailing by a run, Ortiz faced off with Andrew Miller. The result would be an inning-ending strikeout.
“It’s so frustrating facing Miller because it seems like every pitch is a strike,” said Ortiz, who came into the at-bat having gone 1-for-7 against the lefty. “I got two strikes – not one of those pitches was a strike. They were down in the zone. That’s the second time it happened to me with him. But anyway, he’s very filthy and you just pray to God for him to make a mistake.”
|Red Sox notes: John Farrell fires back at Opening Day job question; Marco Hernandez trending toward making roster||10.05.16 at 4:35 pm ET|
CLEVELAND — The question prior to the Red Sox’ workout at Progressive Field Wednesday seemed innocuous enough.
“You were snowed out here on Opening Day. Do you remember some of the questions maybe you had on that day about this team as you started that journey, and what has been answered the most?”
Before the query could be finished, Farrell had what was a more pointed answer than anyone anticipated.
“Yeah, I think Jonny’s first question was, ‘Hey, you going to get fired?’ Well, here we are,” the manager said, referencing WBZ’s Jonny Miller. (The question was actually asked on April 3 prior to the Red Sox’ workout day.)
Farrell went on to say, “We’ve answered a lot of challenges along the way, we’ve answered a lot of questions. How our rotation was going to build. How we were going to get past Eddie, who was injured in spring training. I think as you go through 162 games, the beauty of the journey is the potential distractions that are thrown at you, where the schedule have you going. I think our guys have done a great job of not only being prepared, but as I talked about in New York, this is a tough group, they’re smart, they care for one another and those traits are what has allowed us to get to this point, in addition to being a very talented team. I think we’ve come together with an offense that we’ve felt good about in spring training, but that has grown to a point of being maybe a unique one. I love the fact our rotation has answered some of the potential questions about them.”
– It sure looks like Marco Hernandez is going to make the roster for the Red Sox’ American League Division Series against the Indians.
There was some question if the Red Sox were going to go with 11 pitchers, which had been the case in all three rounds of their postseason run in 2013. With no designated pinch-runner, such as Quintin Berry, and the need to matchup against the Indians’ lefty batters, the idea that relievers Fernando Abad or Heath Hembree might be added as a 12th pitcher wasn’t far-fetched.
But listening to Farrell, it certainly seems the Red Sox are leaning toward once again going with the extra position player when rosters are turned in Thursday morning at 10.
“Given the potential need with two spots in our lineup where we’ve shown I think a pretty consistent approach to pinch-run. If the game situation dictates that, that will weight heavily if we go with a 14th position player, or not,” the manager said. “Then you look at the five-game series with an off-day in between. If there are no interruption with weather, you have some recovery time for relievers that you may use. Just looking at rosters in the past, we’ve typically stayed with 11 pitchers, as well. That will all shake out tomorrow morning.”
– In terms of in-game strategy, Farrell insinuated he had no plans to use a defensive replacement for first baseman Hanley Ramirez, or use Koji Uehara more than one inning (as was the case in 2013).
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Is Patriots' Day? Your Introduction to Boston's Greatest Holiday
- Stock Up, Stock Down for Boston Red Sox's Top 5 Prospects for Week 1
- Jackie Bradley Jr. to Be Placed on 10-Day DL with Knee Injury
- David Price's 1st Bullpen Session Since Elbow Injury Captured on Video
- Chris Sale Produces Dominant Debut Red Sox Needed to See
- 5 Bold Predictions for the Boston Red Sox's 2017 Season
- Boston Red Sox: Complete 2017 Season Preview, Predictions
- Minor Notes: Workman dominant in PawSox bullpen
- The Write-Up: Jalen Beeks
- Cup of Coffee: Olt leads Sea Dogs to walkoff win
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks tosses complete-game shutout
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Victor Garcia
- Cup of Coffee: Ockimey homers twice, Salem sweeps twin bill
- The Write-Up: Teddy Stankiewicz
- System Restart '17: Catcher
- Cup of Coffee: Mother nature delays Chavis; Moncada stomps PawSox
- Minor Notes: Chavis turns heads in three-homer game