|Hot Stove: Red Sox increasing dialogue with Francisco Cordero?||12.20.11 at 1:25 pm ET|
Crasnick tweeted Tuesday afternoon: “#RedSox have had increased dialogue with Francisco Cordero this week. #Reds still interested in bringing him back.”
According to WEEI.com’s Alex Speier, the Red Sox have been reluctant to give a reliever as old as the 36-year-old Cordero a multiple-year contract, as was evidenced in their negotiations with Texas closer Joe Nathan, whom the Sox never made an offer to.
Cordero is coming off a 37-save season with the Reds, finishing 2011 with a 2.45 ERA while appearing in 68 games. He has had at least 34 saves in each of his last five seasons. Cincinnati is thought to also have interest in the closer.
|Ron Johnson finds a job as manager for Orioles’ Triple-A affiliate||11.28.11 at 11:55 am ET|
According to the Baltimore Sun, former Red Sox first base coach Ron Johnson will become the manager for the Norfolk Tides, the Triple-A affiliate for the Baltimore Orioles. Johnson, who was let go by the Sox after the 2011 season, replaces former Red Sox catcher Gary Allenson, who had managed the Tides for the previous five seasons.
It is a return to the International League for the 55-year-old Johnson, who managed the Pawtucket Red Sox from 2005-09. He was originally brought into the Red Sox organization by current Orioles GM Dan Duquette in 2000.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Updating the scouting reports - stage two complete
- Fort Report: Moncada Madness
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster