|Hot Stove: Red Sox increasing dialogue with Francisco Cordero?||12.20.11 at 1:25 pm ET|
Crasnick tweeted Tuesday afternoon: “#RedSox have had increased dialogue with Francisco Cordero this week. #Reds still interested in bringing him back.”
According to WEEI.com’s Alex Speier, the Red Sox have been reluctant to give a reliever as old as the 36-year-old Cordero a multiple-year contract, as was evidenced in their negotiations with Texas closer Joe Nathan, whom the Sox never made an offer to.
Cordero is coming off a 37-save season with the Reds, finishing 2011 with a 2.45 ERA while appearing in 68 games. He has had at least 34 saves in each of his last five seasons. Cincinnati is thought to also have interest in the closer.
|Ron Johnson finds a job as manager for Orioles’ Triple-A affiliate||11.28.11 at 11:55 am ET|
According to the Baltimore Sun, former Red Sox first base coach Ron Johnson will become the manager for the Norfolk Tides, the Triple-A affiliate for the Baltimore Orioles. Johnson, who was let go by the Sox after the 2011 season, replaces former Red Sox catcher Gary Allenson, who had managed the Tides for the previous five seasons.
It is a return to the International League for the 55-year-old Johnson, who managed the Pawtucket Red Sox from 2005-09. He was originally brought into the Red Sox organization by current Orioles GM Dan Duquette in 2000.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox sign two as international signing period opens
- Cup of Coffee: Devers hits clutch homer, GCL Sox remain unbeaten
- Podcast Ep. 79: Promotions, Signings, Rankings, Fireworks?
- Five Sea Dogs chosen for Eastern League All-Star team
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza and Owens pitch well, Basabe leads Lowell
- Red Sox sign five more draftees, including first-round pick Benintendi
- 2015 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free! (close to goal)
- Cup of Coffee: Margot helps Portland earn split as part of crazy Monday schedule
- Weekly Notes: Top prospects on the move
- Cup of Coffee: Salem, Greenville bullpens fall apart, Pawtucket wins in extras