Full Count Hub International
A Furiously Updated Red Sox Blog
WEEI.com Blog Network
Posts related to ‘2013 Winter Meetings’
Source: Red Sox haven’t made formal offer to Stephen Drew 12.11.13 at 7:56 pm ET
By   |  26 Comments
Stephen Drew

Stephen Drew

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — According to a major league source — other than the one-year, $14.1 million qualifying offer extended earlier in the offseason — the Red Sox have not made a formal offer to Stephen Drew.

Per multiple sources, the Red Sox’ strategy continues to be to wait for Drew to find what his market might result in before looping back in with the free agent shortstop.

Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington met with Drew’s agent, Scott Boras, Wednesday at the Dolphin Resort to keep the conversation going.

“I’d rather not get into specifics of our conversation, but I don’t think we would ever — if a deal makes sense for us, we would do it today on any player,” Cherington said. “I don’t think there’s a need to wait on anything if the deal makes sense. It’s just a matter of whether or not it makes sense. We’re still working on that.

The GM added, “We had another good conversation, and we’ve been having conversations since the end of the season. Yeah, I think we have a sense of what’s important to him, and I think he has a sense of what’s important to us. See where it goes.”

Boras said while addressing the media at the winter meetings Wednesday that his client has multi-year offers from other teams. Boras did say, however, that some of the clubs around baseball want to see how the market unfolds before moving forward.

“He’s going to have numerous options to choose from,” Boras said of Drew. “Obviously there are a variety of teams that want a shortstop of his defensive acumen, capability.”

Read More: 2013 Winter Meetings,
Stephen Drew’s market still mystery at winter meetings at 8:29 am ET
By   |  37 Comments
Stephen Drew

Stephen Drew

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — Maybe Wednesday will be the day.

Ben Cherington is planning on meeting with Scott Boras, who also is slated to conduct his annual winter meetings media gathering somewhere in the Dolphin Resort and Hotel. Perhaps at the end of the pair of get-togethers we will have a better idea as to where Stephen Drew‘s market is coming from.

Right now, however, it remains a mystery.

It’s difficult to find any executives from any organizations within the hallways of these winter meetings who can offer insight as to which team — other than the Red Sox — might be willing to jump in and make a substantial offer to Drew.

The Red Sox, of course, remain in the catbird seat in regards to the Drew market, not having to surrender a draft pick if they were to sign the shortstop. It is why one executive from a team thought to have interest in Drew said he firmly believes the 31-year-old will end up back with the Sox.

Because any team other than the Red Sox will have to give up a pick for Drew, it makes the scenario for the shortstop to lock in on significant contract hard to fathom. The consensus is that in order for any team to be able to justify giving up a draft pick, the deal for the player would have to be for three years, and allocating a three-year deal along with the ultra-valuable draft pick for Drew (as solid a player as he is) is still a reach.

The Mets, for instance, don’t appear to be willing to take that leap of faith with Drew, especially now that they’ve already surrendered their second draft pick in the signing of Curtis Granderson (New York’s first-round pick is protected).

The Red Sox clearly like Drew, and seemingly would welcome him back. But a return would necessitate some payroll prioritizing. For instance, if they were able to acquire Rajai Davis (a player the Sox had interest in), that financial commitment have put more of a punctuation on bringing their starting shortstop back (barring a trade of one of their pitchers).

Now, while most everybody in at the meetings can’t offer a scenario where Drew lands anywhere but with the Red Sox, they are also usually quick to point out Boras’ propensity to find a market in such seemingly dire situations. It might just end up being a case of how long he and Drew are willing to wait.

When the agent got caught in qualifying offer hell last offseason with Kyle Lohse — a 34-year-old pitcher with a draft pick attached to him — it took until March 25 to get a three-year, $33 million deal done. The difference is, however, that the need for Drew’s position is much more limited than that of a starting pitcher, with no guarantee that a team will suddenly need a shortstop enough to give up a draft pick.

This could very well end up like the kind of scenario experienced by former Red Sox catcher Jason Varitek (a Boras guy), who turned down an arbitration offer of what would have ended up to be around $11 million only to end up with a one-year, $5 million deal.

But, then again …

Maybe Wednesday will be the day we uncover Drew’s market.

Read More: 2013 Winter Meetings,
Newest Met Curtis Granderson explains Red Sox’ interest in him 12.10.13 at 2:19 pm ET
By   |  20 Comments
Curtis Granderson

Curtis Granderson

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — Curtis Granderson is a New York Met. That was made perfectly clear Tuesday when the outfielder was introduced to the media at the Dolphin Hotel and Resort.

But, according to Granderson, there was at least a chance he could have become a member of the Red Sox.

“We did, early on, right after they ended up winning the World Series ironically. You’d think they’d celebrate for a little bit,” said Granderson when asked if the Red Sox had expressed interest in the 32-year-old. “There were some initial talks right there. Then as soon as Ellsbury ended up signing, there were more. They decided they wanted to go with Jackie Bradley, who’s obviously a great individual and is going to go out there and do some great things for them. They had some other moves they wanted to go ahead and take care of first.”

Granderson ended up signing a four-year, $60 million deal with New York.

Later Tuesday, Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington clarified his team’s interest in the outfielder.

“We contact a lot of free agents. There are probably we don’t contact than we do contact,” he said. “Because it’s important at the very least you’re exchanging information, it gives you a sense of how the market is shaping. We liked him. We like him as a player. But I wouldn’t say we were ever that close on it.”

Read More: 2013 Winter Meetings,
Ben Cherington on dealing starters: ‘We’re very comfortable not doing anything’ 12.09.13 at 7:02 pm ET
By   |  61 Comments

ORLANDO — Even with six starters — Jon Lester, Jake Peavy, Ryan Dempster, Clay Buchholz, Felix Doubront and John Lackey — on their roster, Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington said he is no rush to trade any of them.

“We’re very comfortable not doing anything,” Cherington said when asked about the surplus. “We’re very comfortable just holding everyone. We all know that starting pitching, a supposed surplus has a way of working itself out usually. We’re very comfortable not doing anything. If the movement with free agents or trades or whatever creates motivation on some teams’ part, or when that leads to something that makes sense for us, then we’ll certainly listen and consider it.”

Cherington noted that some of the teams which initially inquired about some of the Sox starters have filled their holes with free agents. Yet, there is still interest in the Red Sox hurlers, according to the GM.

“I wouldn’t say it’s changed much since the beginning of the offseason,” he said. “That doesn’t mean we’re close to doing anything; we’re not. We’re still hearing from teams.”

Read More: 2013 Winter Meetings,
Ben Cherington still can’t ‘handicap’ chances of Stephen Drew returning at 6:50 pm ET
By   |  9 Comments
Ben Cherington

Ben Cherington

ORLANDO — Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington wouldn’t “handicap” the chances of Stephen Drew returning to the team at the winter meetings Monday, but he did note that whatever solution the Sox get to fill out the left side of their infield will have to have the capability to play shortstop.

“We need two guys on the team that can play short no matter what the names are,” Cherington said. “The roster needs two guys that can play short. So obviously, [Xander] Bogaerts has a chance to be a part of the team and he can play short. One way or another we have to add to that. Brock Holt is a candidate for that and he’s done a good job for us. Obviously someone we still think highly of. But we may look to add somebody on that side of the field and more than likely that someone would have the ability to play short, at least in some role.”

As was reported by WEEI.com earlier Monday, the Red Sox are waiting out to see what kind of market Drew might get before looping back in with the shortstop.

“He’s someone that – we obviously like him,” Cherington said of Drew. “He’s a good player and did a really good job for us. If there’s a way to make it work, we’ll see if we can do that, but I can’t handicap it right now.”

Read More: 2013 Winter Meetings,
Sources: ‘Nothing to’ reports of Red Sox interest in Matt Kemp at 6:29 pm ET
By   |  38 Comments

ORLANDO — According to major league sources, there is “nothing to” the reported Red Sox interest in Matt Kemp. Two sources classified the contact regarding Kemp as “barely” touching base.

The Dodgers are believed to be shopping the 29-year-old, who has been battling ankle and shoulder injuries.

Check back from more from the winter meetings …

Read More: 2013 Winter Meetings,
John Farrell at winter meetings: No ‘physical discomfort’ for Clay Buchholz at 5:19 pm ET
By   |  12 Comments
Clay Buchholz

Clay Buchholz

ORLANDO — According to John Farrell, the concerns over Clay Buchholz’ health has subsided.

Speaking during his allotted time with the media at the winter meetings Monday afternoon, the Red Sox manager said that Buchholz has put his physical issues (shoulder, neck, lat) in the past and should undergo a typical offseason.

“Based on the most recent report, very comfortable,” Farrell said when asked about Buchholz’s progress. “No residual feeling of any kind of physical discomfort. He’s initiated his normal off‑season strengthening program. So all of that has calmed down from last year. So his durability and just innings capability is a huge — will be a huge benefit further going forward.”

Some other noteworthy items from Farrell’s media briefing:

Read the rest of this entry »

Read More: 2013 Winter Meetings,
Red Sox Box Score
Red Sox Schedule
Ace Ticket
Red Sox Headlines
Red Sox Minor League News
Red Sox Team Leaders
MLB Headlines
Tips & Feedback

Verify