Full Count Hub International
A Furiously Updated Red Sox Blog
WEEI.com Blog Network
Posts related to ‘Boston Red Sox’
Jon Lester says his contract talks are ‘headed in the right direction’ 03.21.14 at 4:51 pm ET
By   |  Comments Off

CLEARWATER, Fla. — While a new contract is not on the table yet, Jon Lester spoke like a man Friday that feels he definitely has reason to be optimistic he and the Red Sox will eventually work out a new deal.

Lester, after making his fifth start of the spring and lowering his ERA to 0.71, acknowledged that the Red Sox are busy right now. Not only are the Red Sox considering the future of their left-handed ace, they’re also trying to close in on a one-year extension for David Ortiz.

“I know they’ve been pretty busy with dealing with David’s stuff and all that,” Lester said Friday afternoon. “It’s a negotiation. No matter how optimistic people are about it, it’s a tough process. We’ll keep grinding it out and see where we get. I think we’re headed in the right direction.”

In the final year of a five-year, $30 million deal paying him $13 million this season, Lester also said he would be willing to have talks extend into the regular season if there’s a reasonable expectation that a new contract is imminent.

“If you’re at the 5-yard line and you’re kind of closing in on the thing then, yeah, you’ll just spill it over but if we’re so far apart and it still doesn’t matter, then I think we’ll sit down and talk about it and see what the best interests are for both sides on that,” Lester said. “But as of right now, things are progressing and we’ll just keep hashing it out and see where it goes.”

Does Lester feel he’s in the red zone of closing in on a new deal?

“Not in the red zone right now. No, no, definitely not there but I think it’s going in the right direction. We’ve had good dialogue so that’s good.”

Lester’s comments come on the heels of a report from WEEI’s Rob Bradford that a deal is not close to being finalized.

Read More: Boston Red Sox, David Ortiz, Jon Lester, spring training 2014
Jon Lester continues his dominant spring, A.J. Pierzynksi knocks in two as Red Sox tie Phils at 4:21 pm ET
By   |  Comments Off

CLEARWATER, Fla. — In many ways, it was the perfect outing for Jon Lester in what has been a nearly perfect spring training.

He retired the side in order in the first, worked out of jams in the third and fourth innings. And he batted twice without getting injured.

All in all, the lefty starter in line for the opening day nod in Baltimore accomplished what he wanted to in the next-to-last start before his March 31 assignment at Camden Yards in Baltimore.

Lester threw 5 2/3 scoreless innings, scattering four hits, allowing one walk while striking out five as the Red Sox tied the Phillies, 2-2, in a game called after 10 innings at Bright House Field. Lester lowered his spring ERA to 0.71 in five spring starts. Lester threw 81 pitches, 55 for strikes, right on pace with what manager John Farrell had hoped for entering Lester’s third start of the spring.

“I felt good,” Lester said. “I felt like I got into a rhythm a little bit earlier than I did last time. Still didn’t have too good of a feel for my breaking ball and my changeup but that’ll come. I was overthrowing a little bit on those pitches but all in all, I was happy with fastball command and threw some cutters to both sides so it was good.

“I don’t know what it says as far as velocity but I feel like it’s coming out pretty well right now, just continue to build the pitches up.”

Read the rest of this entry »

Read More: A.J. Pierzynski, Boston Red Sox, Jon Lester. Will Middlebrooks, MLB
Friday notes: John Farrell says Grady Sizemore ‘likely’ as his every day center fielder when ‘durability’ is on his side at 12:53 pm ET
By   |  Comments Off

CLEARWATER, Fla. — Grady Sizemore may or may not be the starting center fielder for the Red Sox when they take the field on March 31 at Camden Yards in Baltimore. But John Farrell made it clear that at some point, likely early in the season, when he does start to play, he’ll be the starting center fielder to stay.

“We have every reason to believe at this point that he is a likely candidate to become an every day player, with durability on his side at some point,” Farrell said of the veteran outfielder who is batting .360 in eight games this spring.

Recovering from chronic knee and back ailments over the past two seasons, Sizemore came into camp not having played a competitive game since Sept. 2011. Sizemore, who’s also had a sports hernia and a bad elbow, has impressed coaches and fans alike with athletic plays in the field and a compact, efficient swing at the plate.

“There’s a progression we’re following to get to everyday play but the most encouraging thing is he has not hit the proverbial wall where we’ve bumped up against the limits and have to pull back,” Farrell said before Friday’s game against Philadelphia at Bright House Field. “We haven’t reached that yet, which is all extremely positive.”

Sizemore played in all nine innings for the first time Thursday against the Yankees and Farrell said he came through it very well and is on schedule to return to the field in a minor league game Saturday. He’ll play for the Red Sox again on Sunday and Monday and be evaluated on Tuesday morning to see how he handled the three straight games and five in six days.

“The medical exam, the medical information is guiding us with a progression. But every piece of feedback from the medical staff has been positive with the end thought that he’ll become an every day player,” Farrell said. “”There’s no template. That why we have experts in [Sports Medical Director] Dan Dyrek and our medical staff that give us that guidance.”

Despite the encouraging tone, Farrell still would not commit to Sizemore even heading north with the team when they break camp on Saturday.

“I don’t know that I would go to that point yet,” Farrell said. “I think we need to get through this coming week first.”

If Sizemore does indeed start every day in center, he will likely be the leadoff hitter as well. Thursday night, he batted first, followed by Shane Victorino, Dustin Pedroia, David Ortiz and Mike Napoli. That is a scenario that could easily translate into the regular season.

“If we have Grady in the leadoff spot, it gives us another good player,” Farrell said. “The lineup we saw [Thursday] is one scenario, one version, right-handed, left-handed matchups that are there, rest requirements might be needed. I think you know who our guys are and roughly the spots they’re in the lineup. I think we showed early in the season and late in the season that we would make changes based on matchups or who’s swinging the bat a little bit better at a given time.”

Read the rest of this entry »

Read More: aroldis chapman, Boston Red Sox, Cincinnati Reds, grady sizemore
Clay Buchholz sharp early, tires late against Yankees, but shoulder ‘feels fine’ 03.20.14 at 8:36 pm ET
By   |  Comments Off

FORT MYERS, Fla. — A new approach to getting ready for the regular season seems to be agreeing with Clay Buchholz.

The right-hander, slotted into the No. 5 spot in the starting rotation, looked sharp for most of his five innings Thursday night in a 3-2 loss to the Yankees at JetBlue Park.

Buchholz said early in spring training that with a spot assured in the rotation he would look to slowly increase his intensity during games and not start full throttle. On Thursday, he mixed in all of his pitches, working his curveball and two-seam fastball to generate a multitude of ground outs.

“It was mostly two-seam and cutters,” Buchholz said. “The two-seam, that’s the reason I throw it, to get ground balls. Whenever I’m staying on top of it and smooth through the delivery, that’s most of the times what happens.

“I was down in the zone for pretty much the first four innings. In the fifth inning, [the wind] started blowing a little bit, tried to get my legs back underneath me and started overthrowing. I left some balls up in hitters counts and gave up a couple of hits. But I needed to be in that 70 to 75-pitch range.”

Buchholz allowed five hits and three runs in his five innings, throwing 73 pitches (49 strikes). He walked one and struck out three. Buchholz is now 2-2 with a 2.77 ERA. He’s allowed 10 hits and walked three in 13 innings, striking out eight while allowing four runs.

“It’s different than the last couple of times out but I felt good with just about everything,” he said. “I battled a little bit with the changeup but other than that, threw every other pitch pretty well.”

Buchholz added that his right shoulder through four starts feels strong and nearly ready to start the season.

“It feels fine,” Buchholz said. “I think fatigue was the only thing that set in today. I thought like the ball was coming out of my hand better today than it has, with less effort. Felt good in the bullpen and felt good in the first four innings. It’s just getting that pitch count to where we need it to be before the season starts.

Read the rest of this entry »

Read More: Boston Red Sox, Clay Buchholz, David Ortiz, MLB
Mike Petraglia, Rob Bradford have latest on David Ortiz and starting rotation at 7:53 pm ET
By   |  Comments Off

FORT MYERS, Fla. — WEEI.com’s Mike Petraglia and Rob Bradford have the latest on the David Ortiz contract situation and his struggles in spring training and why the Red Sox aren’t overly concerned about either. Trags and Bradford also assess the Red Sox starting rotation heading into the season, which will be led by Jon Lester on opening day on March 31 in Baltimore. The pair also discuss the latest on Grady Sizemore, a long two-day trip to central Florida and the merits of Jonathan Herrera.

Read More: Boston Red Sox, David Ortiz, grady sizemore, Mike Petraglia
Thursday notes: Jonathan Herrera wins utility job, Brock Holt, Rubby De La Rosa sent to minors, Brandon Snyder reassigned at 4:54 pm ET
By   |  Comments Off

FORT MYERS, Fla. — Jonathan Herrera will be the Red Sox utility infielder to start the 2014 season.

In a move that was expected, the Red Sox optioned infielder Brock Holt and pitcher Rubby De La Rosa to their minor league camp Thursday while reassigning infielder Brandon Snyder, who was in camp on a minor league deal and doesn’t have to be designated off the 40-man roster.

With Thursday’s moves, the Red Sox now have 40 players in big league camp, including 31 players from the 40-man roster, and nine non-roster invitees.

The decision to award Herrera the job was based on the solid and versatile play he displayed while playing shortstop, third base and second base through camp. But it was Herrera’s advanced play at short that was the key determining factor.

“Prioritizing shortstop play, and while Brock has made strides on the left side of the infield, particularly from the start of last year, we felt with the acquisition of Jonathan there was more middle-of-the-field experience and that’s the choice made,” manager John Farrell said in making the announcement before the game with the Yankees.

The 29-year-old Herrera was acquired on Dec. 18 for pitcher Franklin Morales and minor-league pitcher Chris Martin as the Red Sox eyed a veteran insurance policy in the middle of their infield with Stephen Drew‘s uncertain future hanging over their offseason plans.

“His instincts inside the game,” Farrell said of Herrera, who played his first six seasons with the Rockies. “You get a two-to-three game glimpse across the field. But when you’re in camp with someone in camp for a month and a half, you get more of a sense of their instincts and how they react and respond to game situations and the energy he brings. It’s a good fit.”

The Venezuelan was 8-for-29 (.276) in 13 games entering Thursday’s contest against the Yankees at JetBlue Park. Herrera was penciled in as the starting third baseman against the Bombers.

Read the rest of this entry »

Read More: 2014 spring training, Boston Red Sox, Brock Holt, Jonathan Herrera
Jake Peavy pitches into fifth, Xander Bogaerts collects two hits as Pirates beat Red Sox 03.19.14 at 10:01 pm ET
By   |  Comments Off

Jake Peavy looked strong, if not pinpoint sharp, in his second start of the spring. Through four scoreless innings, the right-hander struck out four, walking one and allowing just two first-inning hits in facing 16 batters.

Peavy was throwing hard from the start Wednesday night in a 4-2 loss to the Pittsburgh Pirates at JetBlue Park. He retired the first two batters of the game before allowing two hard-hit balls, a single by Travis Snider and a ground-rule double to right. Peavy bounced back to strike out Tony Sanchez to work out of trouble.

“I felt good,” Peavy said. “In spring training you’re trying to figure out your body. Maybe it was going a little bit fast there early but things fell into place and I was able to calm down and get some good work in. I still have a lot of work to do. Late [in the outing], we tried to work on some offspeed pitches that weren’t even close really to where they need to be. We have a lot of work to do but another step in the right direction.”

Peavy was touching 93 MPH on the radar gun with his fastball several times on the night. The Red Sox starter said he was throwing a tad too hard all night and was fighting to find command on the corners with his secondary pitches, especially his changeup.

“I really don’t want to be there at this point in time,” Peavy said of the velocity. “I was just excited. First night game, you just get excited. It’s fun to compete and it’s fun when you don’t have a team you’re worried about facing or showing too much. You can let it all hang out there, and I was excited to do that really for the first time and just a little too amped up. But I feel fine. It’s going to be fine.

“My breaking ball feels really good, cutter same way but the changeup, I’m in between the split and the changeup. I hadn’t used my changeup because of the right [ring] finger issue. I haven’t been able to develop that pitch any where close to what I need.”

As for his left index finger, sliced in a fish carving accident early in camp, Peavy said he was back to wearing his pitcher’s glove and felt comfortable.

“Everything’s good,” he said. “We wrapped it up and other than being a little bit swollen it’s almost completely healed. It’s not an issue.”

But on the third pitch of the fifth, Peavy left a 2-0 changeup in the middle of the plate to Travis Ishikawa and the Pirates designated hitter crushed the pitch over the retired numbers in right for his second homer of the spring.

“I was pretty stubborn in throwing it and throwing some bad ones and finally threw one for a strike and it got hit a long way,” Peavy said.

Peavy bounced back with a strike out of Clint Barmes before Jaff Decker drilled a Peavy pitch off the scoreboard in left, above the leaping Jonny Gomes, who crashed back-first into the Monster. Peavy got Jose Tabata to fly out to Shane Victorino in right for the second out before manager John Farrell came out to replace him with Andrew Miller. The lefty fanned Travis Snider to strand Decker at second to end the fifth.

Read the rest of this entry »

Read More: Boston Red Sox, jake peavy, Pittsburgh Pirates, spring training 2014
Red Sox Box Score
Red Sox Schedule
Ace Ticket
Red Sox Headlines
Red Sox Minor League News
Red Sox Team Leaders
MLB Headlines
Tips & Feedback

Verify