|David Ortiz might join Red Sox broadcast team this season||02.21.17 at 12:12 pm ET|
There are two ways to interpret David Ortiz’s beach selfie from over the weekend: Either the slugger is enjoying his retirement, or he misses baseball dearly and wants affirmation that he made the right decision to walk away. Regardless, Ortiz will be around Fenway Park this season –– and may announce some of the action on the field as well.
In an interview with Boston Herald Radio Tuesday, Red Sox president Sam Kennedy said there’s a chance Ortiz will show up in the broadcast booth sometime in 2017.
“It’ll be fun to watch the next stage of his career,” Kennedy said. “He’s got a lot of different interests. Broadcasting is certainly one. It’d be interesting to see if he goes into national broadcasting. We’d certainly love to have him part of our local broadcast team on a limited basis. He wanted to dip his toe into that water.”
Ortiz has been a part of Fox’s postseason broadcasts in the past, most recently during the 2014 World Series. His former teammates, Pedro Martinez and Kevin Millar, have carved out lucrative television careers with the MLB Network and TBS, respectively. Earlier this year, Ortiz reportedly met with the Red Sox to discuss joining the NESN team.
The Red Sox will retire Ortiz’s No. 34 on June 23.
|David Ortiz bids a tearful, emotional farewell on Fenway Park mound after Game 3||10.10.16 at 10:52 pm ET|
With the crowd calling for one final encore after the Red Sox were eliminated by the Indians, 4-3, in Game 3 Monday night at Fenway Park, David Ortiz made his way up the dugout steps and spent two minutes waving goodbye to his adoring fans.
Most fans who turned out on the chilly October night at Fenway chanted “Papi, Papi, Papi” in an effort to get him to come out after Travis Shaw flew out to end the game and the career of the legendary Red Sox slugger.
Ortiz didn’t disappoint as he waved and eventually became teary-eyed, doffing his cap to the crowd. He had the chance to speak to the crowd but instead allowed his appearance and his gesture speak for itself.
David Ortiz leaves the game with three World Series titles and one World Series MVP (2013).
|Report: MLB investigating whether Padres shared all medicals with Red Sox during Drew Pomeranz trade||08.05.16 at 7:29 pm ET|
Major League Baseball is investigating whether the San Diego Padres shared all relevant medical information on Drew Pomeranz with the Red Sox before dealing him to Boston for top pitching prospect Anderson Espinoza, according to a report on ESPN.com.
The story says MLB is taking a look at that deal, as well as another made with the Marlins that resulted in injured starter Colin Rea being returned to San Diego after just four innings in Miami because of an injury.
The story goes on to say the Red Sox do not plan to seek any reparations from the Padres, nor do they plan to try to reverse the deal for Pomeranz, who is winless in four starts with Boston. On Thursday, he took a no-decision in a 3-2 win over the Mariners, walking a career-high six batters.
The report also says the Red Sox have become aware of “medical information with Pomeranz” that was not properly disclosed before the trade.
|Trade deadline roundup: Reds OF Jay Bruce appears likely to be traded; Brewers C Jonathan Lucroy remains on market||08.01.16 at 9:57 am ET|
Here are some of the top rumors around MLB as Monday afternoon’s trade deadline approaches.
— It looks like Reds outfielder Jay Bruce will be moved before the deadline. According to Bob Nightengale of USA Today, the Reds have made an agreement with a National League team to trade the three-time All-Star. The Giants and Mets seem to be the top teams making a push for Bruce, with the Indians, Dodgers and Rangers showing interest as well. Nightengale, however, says the Dodgers are not the team that the Reds have an agreement with.
— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) August 1, 2016
Bruce, 29, has spent all nine of his major league seasons with the Reds. He is slashing .265/.316/.559 in 97 games this season.
— Besides pushing for Bruce, the Giants also have expressed interest in Tampa Bay pitcher Matt Moore, according to several reports. Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports indicated that it is unknown whether San Francisco has the right prospects to make a deal. Moore, 27, is 7-7 with a 4.08 ERA in 21 starts.
— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) August 1, 2016
— After vetoing a trade to the Indians, Brewers All-Star catcher Jonathan Lucroy remains on the market. He likely will be traded before the deadline, most probably to the Rangers, according to Rosenthal. Texas infielder Joey Gallo could be part of a package to acquire Lucroy, who is batting .299 with the Brewers.
|American League wins All-Star Game, David Ortiz goes hitless in final appearance||07.12.16 at 11:27 pm ET|
The Red Sox made their impact on the All-Star Game, but there were no final fireworks for David Ortiz.
The retiring Red Sox legend went 0-for-1 with a walk in his final All-Star appearance, with the real heroics reserved for a pair of Kansas City Royals.
Eric Hosmer and Salvador Perez ripped homers three batters apart in the second inning to account for three of the American League’s runs in a 4-2 victory over the NL that ensures home field advantage for the AL in the World Series.
Red Sox outfielder Mookie Betts scored ahead of Perez’s homer after singling in the second. Teammate Xander Bogaerts went 1-for-2 with a double in the third off of NL reliever Jose Fernandez, while Jackie Bradley Jr. recorded a pair of hits without making overwhelming contact — he beat out a swinging bunt in the second and rolled a broken-bat single to left in the fourth.
The NL jumped to a 1-0 lead on a homer by Cubs third baseman Kris Bryant in the first. The AL took the lead in the second on Hosmer’s solo homer and Perez’s two-run shot, and scored another in the third on a Hosmer single after Bogaerts had doubled Edwin Encarnacion to third. The AL had a chance for more, but Betts grounded into an inning-ending double play.
The NL got a run back in the fourth on an RBI single by Miami’s Marcell Ozuna. Its best chance to take the lead came in the eighth, when it loaded the bases on two singles and a walk against Yankees reliever Andrew Miller, but Houston’s Will Harris came on to strike out Cardinals infielder Aledmys Diaz looking on a full count to escape the threat.
The Ted Williams MVP Award was given to Hosmer.
|John Farrell excited to see David Price ‘beginning his career here in Boston’||04.11.16 at 1:36 pm ET|
Red Sox manager John Farrell says he’s excited for David Price to make his Fenway debut and to see the team back in Boston after a 3-2 start.
“We’re looking forward to David beginning his career here in Boston in our uniform,” Farrell said. “We’re hopeful that he’s got the same type of performance [in him] that he had in Cleveland last week.
“Our guys are excited to be back off this road trip, which I think we swung the bats very well. We did a number of things very well as a team. And to get things kicked off here in Fenway in front of our fans is a special day.”
|Mookie Betts looks to join early-season Red Sox bash||at 1:09 pm ET|
The irony of the situation is not lost on John Farrell.
In the first four games, the Red Sox scored at least six runs before being shut out 3-0 Sunday in Toronto.
One of the few players not off to a great start is Mookie Betts, the player expected to be one of the most consistent table-setters at the top of the Red Sox order and one of the most trusted batters in the lineup.
Since going 2-for-5 in the season opener with a homer in the 6-2 win in Cleveland, Betts has just one hit in his next 18 at-bats with seven strikeouts. Betts is 3-for-23 (.130) with eight strikeouts, and has just one walk in 24 plate appearances.
It’s just five games into the season, so it’s hardly time for wholesale changes to one’s plate approach but what makes Farrell comfortable in leaving the team’s table-setter at the top of the order is Betts’ attitude.
“He’s not looking to change,” Farrell said. “He gets off to a good start and then he’s getting pitched to a little bit. Might have been expanding the zone on some at-bats.”
And a good home opener can always change one’s perspective. It was last year at Fenway against the Nationals that Betts exploded on the scene after experiencing a nearly identical start to this season. After five games, he was batting just .192 with seven strikeouts.
In that game against the Nationals, he homered, drove in four runs, stole two bases and robbed Bryce Harper of a home run in right-center. He finished the ’15 season batting .291 with 18 homers and 77 RBIs with an OPS of .820.
“He’s in the leadoff spot again here today,” Farrell said before Monday’s game with the Orioles, hoping perhaps for a repeat of the ’15 home opener.
|As Mike Napoli faces do-or-die Game 5, he thinks of 2013 Red Sox: ‘I’m reminded of it all the time’||10.12.15 at 9:05 pm ET|
The 33-year-old slugger traded Aug. 7 from the Red Sox to the Rangers for a player to be named will spend the next 48 hours reminding his Texas teammates that now is not a time to panic after blowing a 2-0 lead in the best-of-five ALDS series against Toronto.
What will Napoli be thinking of in the hours leading up to the winner-take-all Game 5 Wednesday afternoon at Rogers Centre in Toronto? Winning it all in 2013 with the Red Sox, naturally.
“Yeah, I’ve talked about it with them, what it was like and how much fun it can be,” Napoli told WEEI.com Monday after Toronto’s 8-4 win at Globe Life Park in Game 4. “I’m telling the young guys this is where you can get noticed and put yourself on the map.”
Napoli had his chance again Monday to put himself on the map like he did with a huge solo homer off Justin Verlander in Game 3 of the 2013 ALCS in Detroit. But this time, as a pinch-hitter for Josh Hamilton in the seventh inning, he grounded into a 4-6-3 double play against reliever David Price.
“Everyone’s watching so you just have to have fun with it,” Napoli added. “I told them there’s nothing like spraying champagne on each other after you win something. We got a little taste of it [with AL West title]. I think we’ll be ready for this game. It’s going to be a crazy atmosphere but we’ll be on the road and we’ll go out there and have a game plan and try to execute it.”
How much does he look back on 2013 at a moment like this and draw upon it?
“Always. I’m reminded of it all the time,” Napoli said. “I’ve got a replica trophy of it. It’s something that you can never forget and there are stories you can share with people about it is just something I like to do.”
|1B Sam Travis wraps up another Player of the Year-caliber season in Red Sox minors||09.08.15 at 9:46 am ET|
In 2011, Sam Travis was named Illinois Player of the Year as a senior at Providence Catholic High School on the south side of Chicago. In 2012, at Indiana University, he was named Big Ten Conference Freshman of the Year. Two years later, as a junior, Travis grabbed Big Ten Conference Player of the Year.
Later this month, it’s a good bet that Travis will add Red Sox Minor League Offensive Player of the Year to his growing list of accolades. Travis’ 2015 season is in the books, and he led all Boston minor leaguers with a .307 average (150-for-489) and 78 RBIs.
“It’s obviously a great honor,” Travis said of the team-leading categories. “But I know I can be better.”
If Travis is right, Triple-A Pawtucket is in for a treat in 2016.
Over the first half of this year (66 games) with High-A Salem, Travis slashed .313/.378/.467 with five homers, four triples, 15 doubles, 40 RBIs, 35 runs scored and 10 steals. Over the second half of the year (65 games) with Double-A Portland, the 22-year-old slashed .300/.384/.436 with four homers, two triples, 17 doubles, 38 RBIs, 35 runs and nine steals.
Portland Sea Dogs manager Billy McMillon caught the second act, and to nobody’s surprise came away impressed with his first baseman.
“He’s a baseball player,” McMillon said. “He’s a throwback to players from yesteryear. He doesn’t wear batting gloves, he just steps in the batter’s box and gives us a great at-bat. He’s a guy that I haven’t really seen give away at-bats. For me, that’s one of the hallmarks of a good hitter, they minimize the number of at-bats that they give away. He’s done a really good job of competing, hitting the ball hard, and he’s just done a tremendous job for us.”
|Johnny Cueto tips his cap to Red Sox after allowing career-high 13 hits in loss: ‘They just beat me’||08.21.15 at 10:52 pm ET|
If that was an audition, Johnny Cueto may want to petition for a do-over.
The Royals ace acquired from Cincinnati on the Sunday before the trade deadline was racked for a career-high 13 hits and seven runs – six earned – over six innings in a 7-2 Red Sox win Friday night at Fenway Park. For some perspective, Cueto hadn’t allowed double figure hits in a single outing since June 21, 2013, when he was tagged for 11 hits and seven runs in a loss to the Diamondbacks. One outing later, Cueto headed to the disabled list for two months with a lat strain, derailing Cincinnati’s hopes of a division title.
Both Cueto and his manager Ned Yost insisted afterward this was a one-game blip and not a warning flag.
“[He looked] completely comfortable,” Yost said. “He kept competing his tail but just wasn’t really sharp. He never stopped competing but he just wasn’t exceptionally sharp. He was competing through it. He just got some pitches up and got slapped the other way. Pitches hit up the middle. It was one of those nights.”
Cueto, who appeared to be stretching his side occasionally on the mound, said the outing was more about the Red Sox batters than his ineffectiveness.
“First of all, they made adjustments to me,” Cueto said. “I didn’t leave too many [pitches] up. But the ones I did leave up, they put good swings on them. They just beat me today. Those guys are major league baseball players and they’re in a major league lineup and they just beat me.”
To Cueto’s point, Mookie Betts set the tone by taking a Cueto slider the other way to right-center for a double to open the Boston first inning. He didn’t score but it was one of three hits for Betts on the night off Cueto. Blake Swihart went the other way in his first two at-bats against Cueto for base hits. The big adjustment? Look for Cueto’s nasty off-speed stuff and go to the opposite field and up the middle. It worked all night for the Red Sox, who made Cueto sweat on a humid night in Boston.
The capper was Josh Rutledge crushing a pitch from Cueto over the Green Monster in the sixth for a two-run homer that salted the game away. It was the fifth hit in six career at-bats for Rutledge off Cueto.
“It just a bad outing. I’m going to keep my head up and get ready for the next start,” Cueto said.
Just on Thursday, Cueto, who turns 30 in February, said he would want to come to Boston in 2016 as a free agent because the Red Sox are a championship-caliber contender. Maybe Cueto is also aware of just how much the Red Sox have hammered other “aces” this season, with the likes of Sonny Gray, Justin Verlander, Felix Hernandez (2x), Chris Sale and Cole Hamels all going down to defeat to Boston.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Is Patriots' Day? Your Introduction to Boston's Greatest Holiday
- Stock Up, Stock Down for Boston Red Sox's Top 5 Prospects for Week 1
- Jackie Bradley Jr. to Be Placed on 10-Day DL with Knee Injury
- David Price's 1st Bullpen Session Since Elbow Injury Captured on Video
- Chris Sale Produces Dominant Debut Red Sox Needed to See
- 5 Bold Predictions for the Boston Red Sox's 2017 Season
- Boston Red Sox: Complete 2017 Season Preview, Predictions
- System Restart '17: Upper-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Shawaryn strikes out nine as Drive cruise
- Minor Notes: Workman dominant in PawSox bullpen
- The Write-Up: Jalen Beeks
- Cup of Coffee: Olt leads Sea Dogs to walkoff win
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks tosses complete-game shutout
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Victor Garcia
- Cup of Coffee: Ockimey homers twice, Salem sweeps twin bill
- The Write-Up: Teddy Stankiewicz
- System Restart '17: Catcher