|Red Sox-Rays in delay||07.25.13 at 7:01 pm ET|
Thursday’s series finale between the Red Sox and Rays is officially in delay.
The lights came on at Fenway Park at 6 p.m., about one hour before first pitch the tarp remains on the field as steady showers, which began around 4 p.m., continued in the immediate area of Fenway Park.
John Lackey is scheduled to oppose Jeremy Hellickson in the series wrap-up. The game is a critical one in the AL East, as the Rays have taken two of the first three to close Boston’s lead in the division to a half-game.
If the game is postponed, the likely make-up date will be on Monday as both teams have a mutual day off. The Rays are in New York to take on the Yankees this weekend while the Red Sox will be in Baltimore before returning home for a homestand that originally set to begin on Tuesday against Seattle.
|David Price is ready for Red Sox if he sees them in playoffs||at 10:26 am ET|
David Price knows the reputation of the Red Sox.
The reigning 2012 American League Cy Young winner needed just 97 pitches to dispatch of the Red Sox, 5-1, at Fenway Park on Wednesday night.
“Our plate approach is going to go in with a specific game plan, and that’s to try to grind out at-bats,” Red Sox manager John Farrell said. “But we’ve got to adjust to the pitcher on the mound, and he forced us to swing the bat earlier in the count. A lot of ground balls. A lot of balls at people. That’s what can happen.”
“If they want to keep taking, that’s fine. They’ll be 0-2 pretty quick,” Price said, talking like a pitcher who was very confident with his command. “They’re a tough team. They are. One through nine is extremely good. They have a guy [Jose Iglesias] hitting in the nine hole who’s hitting .350, so that’s pretty good.”
While Iglesias has slipped to .343, Price’s point is still well taken.
“He threw some pitches we could’ve hit, but we just didn’t do it,” Jarrod Saltalamacchia said of Price’s control in the strike zone.
Coming back from a triceps injury, Price has looked like the anchor of the staff that Tampa Bay needs him to be.
|Clay Buchholz: ‘I’m going to go as quick as I can’||07.23.13 at 6:18 pm ET|
Clay Buchholz wants Red Sox fans to know he’s doing his best to come back from a strained right shoulder. The right-handed Red Sox starter opened the season 9-0 with a 1.71 ERA and was in the midst of his best season to date.
Now, he disclosed on Tuesday, he’ll be lucky to make four or five more starts before the end of the season.
“There’s no timeline on it,” Buchholz said of his rehab progress. “I’m going to go as quick as I can at the comfort level they told me to go at.”
Buchholz met with renown orthopedic specialist James Andrews on Monday in Pensacola, Fla.
“His one thing was when I’m at 90 feet and I can throw hard, let a ball go and throw as hard as I want to and be OK with it, that’s when the light comes on and we can start going off the mound easy, and then get back into flat-ground, sim game and rehab,” Buchholz said.
“He said you can either make four or five starts in the last half of the season and hopefully, if we’re lucky enough to go to the playoffs, pitch in the playoffs or do it wrong and not pitch at all.”
Red Sox manager John Farrell said the team won’t do anything to rush Buchholz back if he’s not comfortable.
“The one that has been consistent throughout this is we’ve to progress as Clay has tolerated,” Farrell said before Tuesday’s game. “That won’t change. What we’re looking to achieve first is that he throws aggressively off flat ground and at 90 feet before we would incorporate the angle of the mound. That’s why when questions were asked [Monday after Dr. Andrews visit], it’s kind of hard to pinpoint that. So, we look at this in phases. The re-conditioning and the strength gains from a throwing standpoint to then incorporating the mound to incorporating ups and downs through a simulated game and then ultimately rehab starts. But this will all be determined on Clay’s tolerance and the increase in intensity.
“I think that’s just another way of saying we don’t have an exact date. We have to keep Clay’s health first and foremost, which has been the case all throughout this. That won’t change. Whatever time is needed, Clay is going to return to us when he’s ready.”
|Clay Buchholz to seek ‘peace of mind’ in visit with Dr. James Andrews on Monday||07.21.13 at 6:42 pm ET|
Clay Buchholz will travel to Pensacola, Fla., for an appointment with renowned surgeon Dr. James Andrews Monday in an effort to give him “peace of mind” about the health of his neck and shoulder, according to Red Sox manager John Farrell.
Andrews has already taken a look at MRI images of Buchholz’s shoulder, but will get a chance to evaluate him in person Monday.
“As I’ve said many times, [Buchholz] is extremely frustrated with it. As it seemed like he was turning the corner on the trip when we went through Seattle and the throwing that he was doing, it hasn’t,” Farrell said. “So more than anything, to get some verification and clarification through Dr. Andrews to put his mind at ease is as important as anything that he’s dealing with from a physical standpoint.”
Buchholz (9-0, 1.71 ERA) has had no trouble throwing long toss on flat ground, according to Farrell. However, the discomfort returns when he tries pitching from the mound. Buchholz has been told by team physicians that he’s not at risk of worsening the condition by pitching. The Sox are hoping that Andrews can confirm that outlook so that Buchholz can move forward in a rehab that has been traveling sideways for some time.
“When he has gotten on the mound, there has been some freedom in some of those bullpens,” Farrell said. “It has been repetitive and cumulative throwing where he has felt some of the discomfort start to return, and that is when he stopped. If it can be confirmed that he is not going to put himself at further risk, then OK. Let’s continue on.
“[The visit is] to confirm what the findings have been to date and more than anything for Clay to have that peace of mind,” added Farrell.
With Jon Lester’s first start after the All-Star break being pushed back and Ryan Dempster being slotted into Sunday’s game, Brandon Workman will take the mound in Monday’s series opener between the Red Sox and Rays at Fenway Park.
Workman (0-0, 5.40 ERA) got a no-decision in his first career start in Oakland on July 14, when he allowed two runs after holding the Athletics hitless through six innings. The 24-year-old was called up on July 9 and made his first appearance in a Boston uniform the next day, when he allowed three runs on four hits through two innings of relief.
While Workman was hit hard in his first inning against Seattle — he allowed three doubles and a home run in the frame — manager John Farrell said that his ability to return to the mound for a clean second inning that day allowed the right-hander to start showing some of the traits that had been evident for three years to the Red Sox player development staff and front office.
“The one thing he does is he throws a lot of strikes,” said Farrell. “Even in the first inning against Seattle — he got squared up, but he didn’t fear the strike zone. He didn’t start to walk people just because there was a lot of contact. He went out and had a very good second inning and I think that second inning set him up with the ability to walk off the mound knowing he put up a zero and carried it into the game against Oakland.”
Workman’s start will be a crucial one, as it will be against a Rays team that is creeping up on the Red Sox in the division. They are only 1 1/2 games back of Boston in the standings, have won 16 of their last 18 games and will send Matt Moore to the mound, who has won each of his last five starts. Yet Farrell did not have concerns about exposing a rookie to such a meaningful contest.
“I think the one thing that we’re learning, at least at the major league staff, is that this is a guy who has kind of quiet confidence about him and doesn’t fear the setting in which he’s performing in,” said Farrell.
|Andrew Bailey to have shoulder surgery, season done||at 5:49 pm ET|
As he indicated on Friday when he spoke to reporters about his ailing right shoulder, Andrew Bailey will require surgery to fully fix the injury.
On Sunday, the Red Sox announced that the former closer will have surgery in New York on Wednesday and his season is over.
Renown orthopedic surgeon David Altchek will perform the surgery in New York.
“I think until the procedure is done, it’s just speculation at this point [about his timeline] but we’ll get a full report after Wednesday,” Red Sox manager John Farrell said before Sunday’s series finale with the Yankees.
“There were no guarantees [that] he would able to get back to the mound to a normal level through a conservative path. As Andrew weighed all the information that he got from the multiple doctors seen, it was pretty clear cut. The decision was pretty much made for him.”
|Daniel Nava on his base-running blunder: ‘I just stopped thinking’||07.20.13 at 10:13 pm ET|
Daniel Nava knows better. He knows it. John Farrell knows it and everyone who has watched him play over the course of the last three seasons knows it.
But Saturday was one of those rare moments where a highly unusual play caught him off guard mentally at the very worst time. With one out and the Red Sox down just 4-2 in the bottom of the eighth, Nava stood at first base when Dustin Pedroia popped a foul behind home plate. Yankee catcher Chris Stewart made a lunging play into the stands and caught the ball.
Nava, who had seconds earlier been reminded by first base coach Arnie Beyeler to stay put with David Ortiz on deck, decided to take off for second on the most unusual of tag plays. Stewart caught the ball then caught himself before firing a one-hop strike to second to nail Nava and end the inning and Boston’s hopes on the day.
“Hindsight, I wouldn’t have done, just based off the situation and based off we had Papi on deck,” Nava said, falling on the proverbial sword. “You see a guy go into the stands, you think you can take the base. That’s a time when even if you can take a base, I shouldn’t have taken the base because it just changes the dynamic of his [Oritz] at-bat and he would’ve still come up. Looking back, I wouldn’t have done it, and he made a good play, and obviously, that exposes it all the more.
“Right before the play happened, I was actually told, ‘don’t go anywhere.’ And then I just stopped thinking when the ball was hit in the air and that’s unfortunate because late in the games, you need to be on top of stuff. That was one of those times that I wasn’t on top of what I need to be on top of, which is just those little things. It happens but it’s unfortunate that it happened then.”
Nava made a point to say that Beyeler was doing his job by reminding him.
The pitch before, he said, ‘you’re not going anywhere, you’re not going anywhere, understand the situation.’ I said, ‘Yeah, totally.’ Then that was a play that doesn’t happen,” Nava said. “I should’ve applied it to that and I just didn’t, and that was my fault.
“Of course, it’s easier [in hindsight] but the coaches were doing their job and letting me know. As soon as the ball was hit and popped up, I turned things off and reacted. He made a good play, no doubt. Good play on the catch, good play on the throw but you have to have a little more awareness than that. It was something to learn from. I would go back and I would change it if I could.”
That was the second base-running boo-boo to end an inning on the day for Nava. He tripped around third base in the bottom of the first trying to score on a two-out Ortiz single to left.
“I don’t know,” Nava said. “I just came around third and didn’t have firm footing that I wanted to and it would’ve still been a closer play but who knows what would’ve happened if that didn’t happen.
“I knew that I was going based on two outs. The play happened right in front of me. I was surprised to see where Vernon was playing, it was right there but you have to send someone in that situation with two outs. He made a good play, a good throw. But unfortunately, it was a rough one for me on the bases but I’ll learn from it. It happens.”
Nava, always a stand-up guy, tried to be as philosophical as possible afterward.
“I think it’s the game of baseball. You play so many games, you have to let them go or else you’re not going to be able to get to the next one. I talked to some of the coaches because I wanted to know what they had to say. I knew pretty much what they would have to say but still you want them to echo thoughts and ideas. You move on because you know were going to get another situation like that and be in another spot like that.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- The Write-Up: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Owens falters in Futures rematch; Shaw leads PawSox
- Cup of Coffee: Martinez, Heller, Weems lead Salem bats in win
- Cup of Coffee: Light shines bright for Salem
- Players of the Week, 7/14-20: Michael Almanzar & Trey Ball
- Cup of Coffee: Acosta scores four in GCL Sox sweep
- Weekly Notes: Betts returns to Pawtucket, Owens wins ninth straight
- 2014 Draft recap: Sox sign 31 players, with impact potential at the top
- Cup of Coffee: Ranaudo, Johnson impress, Stankiewicz fans nine
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #61: Wild Turkeys, July 2, and the Draft