|Red Sox-Orioles postponed, day-night DH set for Saturday||07.04.14 at 10:13 am ET|
The team announced that the game would be made up as part of a day-night doubleheader Saturday with games at 1:05 p.m. and 7:05 p.m.
|Near no-no before Fenway fans gave Jake Arrieta ‘goosebumps’||06.30.14 at 11:48 pm ET|
Jake Arrieta hasn’t always had great memories of pitching in Fenway but he’s always loved the fans and the environment. On Monday, he nearly made Fenway Park history.
Before giving up a clean single to right field to Stephen Drew on a misplaced 2-2 fastball, Arrieta was a mere four outs away from becoming just the fourth opposing pitcher to no-hit the Red Sox at Fenway since it opened in 1912 and the first since Detroit’s Jim Bunning in 1958.
“The tension kind of builds there as the fifth and sixth innings kind of approach and then it kind of subsides a little bit,” said Arrieta, who brought a perfect game into the seventh last week against the Reds at Wrigley Field. “The space around me [in the dugout] kind of increases, naturally. But yeah, another special night. It’s special to do it in this ballpark, to do something like this last week in Wrigley and then to do it here, in these two parks is pretty special.”
Arrieta finished with a career-high 120 pitches over 7 2/3 innings, picking up the win in a Cubs’ 2-0 blanking of the Red Sox Monday night.
“Most parks will have it somewhere on the board or on the Jumbotron so you sort of know,” Arrieta said. “During each inning, I might glance I have this many more to work with, and I knew the leash was going to be lengthened a little bit because of the situation. It felt like just any other day really as far as the body goes. I didn’t have to hit so I had a little more in the tank.
“We won and that’s obviously the biggest thing from tonight. We can all kind of enjoy. It was fun, a lot of fun.”
Arrieta was given a rousing standing ovation as he came off the mound immediately after losing his no-hitter in the eighth. There was still a game to be won. But that didn’t keep the fans from appreciating the effort of the right-hander.
“Something like that in Fenway is pretty rare for an opposing team so yeah, I got some goosebumps there and that’s kind of why you play this game, for moments like that. I’m just very thankful to be a part of something like that and to get another win feels good.”
|Red Sox pregame notes: Xander Bogaerts on off day: ‘Something I needed and my body needed,’ Clay Buchholz, Will Middlebrooks, Shane Victorino set to begin rehab assignments||06.12.14 at 6:08 pm ET|
While Xander Bogaerts does not know for sure that he has ever played in a span of games as strenuous as the Red Sox‘ current 38 games in 39 day stretch, the shortstop knows that the a string of rain delays, long games and tough travel schedule have put a toll on his body. For that reason exactly, Red Sox manager John Farrell decided to give Bogaerts a day off during Thursday’s series opener vs. the Indians.
Bogaerts, who has gone hitless in his last 16 at-bats, will take Thursday as an opportunity to refuel, both physically and mentally.
“Try to get my body some good rest and maybe depending on the situation, coming in late in the game, but I don’t know,” Bogaerts said. “It’s part of the game or else I’ll just be ready for tomorrow.”
Farrell has noticed some moments of frustration for the rookie shortstop in recent days.
“When things don’t go great, as evident the other night where he grounds into an inning ending double play with the bases loaded, there might have been a little bit of frustration at that moment because of what we’re living a little bit as a team,” Farrell said. “To say that there are certain situations that you can visibly see it or he comes out of his swing or out of his mechanics in some way, no that’s not fair.”
Bogaerts believes that his swing and approach have not been as sharp in the last couple of games as they were prior to the road trip. The 21-year-old hopes that the off day will allow him reset and get back into a groove at the plate.
|‘Frustrated’ Stephen Drew to undergo tests on right oblique strain, Sox eye weekend return if cleared||at 5:09 pm ET|
The daily saga of Stephen Drew took another twist Thursday with the news that the shortstop will be undergoing several tests before the weekend to determine the extent of his aggravated right oblique.
After Thursday’s 5-2 win over the Indians, manager John Farrell said there’s a chance Drew could return to action over the weekend against the Indians.
“At this point, there was an ultrasound done. An MRI is still a possibility if the increased baseball activities [Friday] warrant it. The plan is for him not to have it right now,” Farrell said. “He’ll ramp up the activities. If there’s any kind of reproducing of the symptoms, then it would be administered at that point. Hopefully, he gets through [Friday] and then we’re looking for game activity on the weekend.”
Thursday’s ultrasound was administered to determine if Drew did any further damage during a batting practice session before Wednesday’s series finale in Baltimore. Before Thursday’s game, Farrell said Drew, who signed a $10 million pro-rated deal on May 21, was day-to-day with the oblique strain.
“[Wednesday] in the second round of BP he felt the right oblique kind of grab him again,” Farrell said. “So, whether or not the MRI is needed [Friday] — and even if there’s any question — we’ll get it to get all the information possible.
“He’s frustrated by it, but at the same time we can’t risk any longer-term situation here.”
Since signing with the Red Sox, Drew has played in just four games, collecting just one hit in 14 at-bats (.071).
Farrell was asked if an MRI Friday could reveal further injury beyond the oblique.
“I don’t know where,” Farrell said. “I just think the MRI is going to indicate to what extent there’s inflammation. If the MRI is deemed necessary, then the information derived from it will have a better read on the prognosis going forward.”
|Joe Maddon on Friday’s tensions: ‘I thought it was handled great’||05.31.14 at 3:39 am ET|
Red Sox skipper John Farrell might have thought home plate umpire Dan Bellino and crew chief Jeff Kellogg let Friday night’s game get out of control. Naturally, his counterpart in the Tampa Bay dugout saw things much differently.
“That was obvious that you’re not trying to hit Carp right there,” Maddon said of Price drilling the Red Sox first baseman in the fourth inning. “I thought the umpires utilized really good baseball judgment regarding how they handled it after Ortiz, they handled the rest of that really well. Of course, the ball at somebody’s head is no fun to see that happened. Again, you have to get their side of the whole thing. I’m just saying from our side of things, it was not precipitated by what happened last week.
“You know what? You let the players play. I’m a big believer in the players do a great job of policing one another. I try not to interfere with that kind of stuff. We’ll see how it plays out [Saturday]. There’s going to be no animosity from us to their side. Beginning of the game, we’ll just see how it plays. Again, the umpires did a great job tonight.”
Maddon and Farrell were not warned formally before the game, to the surprise of some, including Price. But once the game start, Maddon had no issue with Price clearly hitting Ortiz in the middle of the back as retribution for Ortiz slow trot around the bases on two home runs off Price in last fall’s ALDS Game 2.
“For me, you let the players play, and you really try to not get involved in that, whether it’s me as the manager or the umpires, let the players play,” Maddon said. “I’m a big believer in the players’ ability to police the game on their own. I really am. I thought the players did well tonight. I thought the umpires did well tonight. I thought it went well and I thought everything was handled properly.”
|David Price predicts more tension between Red Sox and Rays: ‘I’m sure it will [continue]‘||at 1:19 am ET|
In the first inning, Price drilled David Ortiz square in the back, nearly throwing a fastball completely behind the Red Sox slugger. That resulted in Price and the Red Sox being issued warnings by home plate umpire and crew chief Jeff Kellogg. Both benches emptied and John Farrell was ejected.
Three innings later, Mike Carp, in just his 10th career plate appearance against Price, was drilled for the third time by the Rays lefty known for his routine pinpoint control.
That resulted in Carp being awarded first base and Ortiz nearly attacking Price. The Red Sox were clearly frustrated that two batters had been hit, one in Ortiz very clearly intentionally. Could Price sense the growing frustration of the Red Sox?
“Yeah, I absolutely get it, especially with Carp. I don’t know if I’ve hit anybody three times,” Price said. “I think I’ve hit him three times in probably less than 10 at-bats. I think one was when he was with Seattle. I feel like they’ve been all in the same region [of the body]. I’ve extended apologies to him both times before. That’s not something I’m trying to do. I had six lefties in the lineup today. I have to be able to throw my fastball in and wasn’t able to do it.”
But asked about his history with Ortiz, which included a Price Twitter rant about Ortiz pimping after two home runs off him in Game 2 of the playoffs last year, Price said, “I’m fine,” and that there was “no” reason for Ortiz to be upset with the apparent retaliation. Ortiz called Price a “girl” for the way he handled himself Friday night.
Does Price expect the bad blood to continue between the clubs going forward?
“I’m sure it will,” Price predicted.
|Jonny Gomes might be a ‘spark plug’ but he admits: ‘Tomorrow is not a guarantee for me’||05.29.14 at 7:51 am ET|
No one needs to remind Jonny Gomes of his value and role on the Red Sox.
The veteran outfielder proved his worth on the club again on Wednesday night, going 2-for-3 with a walk, an RBI and scoring twice in a 4-0 win over the Braves. After a 10-game skid, the Red Sox are suddenly on a three-game streak in the right direction.
“Obviously not ideal but I’ll tell you what, no one truly had their head in the sand,” Gomes said. “No one was ready to throw in the white towel on the season, by any means. It was just a rough patch but this team does a pretty good job of turning the page and cleaning the slate once we leave these double doors here. Likewise on a win, what we did tonight doesn’t matter tomorrow. So, we just have to clean the slate and get back to work tomorrow.”
Gomes’ numbers this year virtually mirror those for his career across the board – .248/.343/.425/.768 – in 39 games. Gomes is batting .308 with a mighty .950 OPS against lefties this year.
What makes Gomes so valuable is his attitude, given his uncertain role from game to game. Gomes has handled the platoon situation in the outfield flawlessly, understanding that he will not be playing every day as skipper John Farrell tries to maximize his ability to mash left-handed pitching. Wednesday night, however, Gomes got the left field nod against righty Gavin Floyd and Gomes was ready as always to answer the bell.
“Play here, sit here. Sit there, play there. I just go pitch to pitch, at-bat to at-bat,” Gomes said philosophically. “Tomorrow is not a guarantee for me so I just run it out there and any way I can generate a run on the board and take one off with my defense, that’s what I’ll try to do.
“Tomorrow is not a guarantee. It can be exhausting at times but I’ve done it for a while where every pitch, every at-bat is not so much pressure but I put a lot on it and I have a lot of pride in it. If I do play sparingly, I want to affect the game somehow. That’s what I try to do.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: PawSox fall late in Gildan Championship Game
- The Write-Up: Rusney Castillo
- Cup of Coffee: Couch leads PawSox to Series win
- Cup of Coffee: Owens struggles, pushing PawSox to the brink
- Cup of Coffee: Pawtucket drops game two in extras
- Cup of Coffee: Pawtucket takes game one of Governor's Cup
- Rusney Castillo flashes exciting potential in Triple-A debut
- Barnes promoted to Boston
- The Write-Up: Matt Barnes
- Weekly Notes: Playoff baseball begins for affiliates, Castillo continues ascent