|Day 2: Catching market update||12.09.08 at 3:35 pm ET|
The market for Jason Varitek may have further narrowed on Tuesday, with the news that the Orioles had traded Ramon Hernandez to the Reds for Ryan Freel. The Reds were one of the teams interested in a veteran catcher; that market is now dry. The Orioles, according to a baseball source, are looking for a short-term place-holder/tutor for superprospect Matt Wieters, whom Baltimore believes could play in the majors sometime this year. While Varitek could offer a theoretical fit on a short-term, short-dollar contract, the more likely scenario would appear to be the Orioles pursuing someone like Gregg Zaun.
WEEI.com’s Lou Merloni talked with American League East officials who confirmed that the Orioles view Wieters as ready to assume a starting role sometime in 2009, and that Baltimore does not view Varitek as a fit.
The Reds, like the Red Sox, had been exploring the trade market for catchers. With both Detroit and Cincinnati now out of that picture, the teams with catching to deal (Arizona, Cleveland, Texas) would appear to have a more limited field of potential partners.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Witte walks off for Portland, Buttrey goes seven strong for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech drives Greenville past Charleston
- Cup of Coffee: Gunkel grabs first Double-A win, Craig reaches five times
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada breaks out, PawSox lose heartbreaker
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson goes six strong, Moncada picks up first hit
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada era begins; phenom scores twice in slugfest
- Weekly Notes: Moncada set to debut, Brian Johnson keeps producing
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech and Haley solid, Tejeda swinging a hot bat
- Yoan Moncada to debut with Greenville on Monday
- Cup of Coffee: Witte nearly hits for the cycle, Devers strong for Greenville