|Day 2: Catching market update||12.09.08 at 3:35 pm ET|
The market for Jason Varitek may have further narrowed on Tuesday, with the news that the Orioles had traded Ramon Hernandez to the Reds for Ryan Freel. The Reds were one of the teams interested in a veteran catcher; that market is now dry. The Orioles, according to a baseball source, are looking for a short-term place-holder/tutor for superprospect Matt Wieters, whom Baltimore believes could play in the majors sometime this year. While Varitek could offer a theoretical fit on a short-term, short-dollar contract, the more likely scenario would appear to be the Orioles pursuing someone like Gregg Zaun.
WEEI.com’s Lou Merloni talked with American League East officials who confirmed that the Orioles view Wieters as ready to assume a starting role sometime in 2009, and that Baltimore does not view Varitek as a fit.
The Reds, like the Red Sox, had been exploring the trade market for catchers. With both Detroit and Cincinnati now out of that picture, the teams with catching to deal (Arizona, Cleveland, Texas) would appear to have a more limited field of potential partners.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, O'Sullivan impress on the mound
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Sam Travis
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash
- Scouting Scratch: Kevin Steen, Enmanuel De Jesus and more Lowell pitchers