Full Count
A Furiously Updated Red Sox Blog
WEEI.com Blog Network
Posts related to ‘Cincinnati Reds’
Tuesday’s Red Sox-Reds matchups: Felix Doubront vs. Homer Bailey 05.06.14 at 9:08 am ET
By   |  Comments Off

The Red Sox look to move on from a tough 10-inning loss to the A’€™s on Sunday when they start a two-game home series against the Reds on Tuesday, sending lefty Felix Doubront to the mound to face off against Homer Bailey.

Doubront has struggled in 2014, posting a 1-3 record in six games, all starts, with a 5.70 ERA, up from his career average of 4.70. While Doubront is walking less batters than he ever has, an average of 3.6 walks per nine innings (4.0 average in his career), his strikeout numbers are also down, an average of 6.3 per nine innings, down from his career average of 8.2.

Doubront was solid in his last start, a game against the Rays on May 1, going six innings while giving up four runs (three earned) on five hits, two of them being home runs. He struck out five and walked one. The Red Sox eventually lost, 6-5, but Doubront did not factor in the decision.

While some fans have lost faith in Doubront, Red Sox manager John Farrell has not.

“He’€™s going to keep getting the ball,” Farrell said last week. “We’ve got to keep doing what we can to have those in-game adjustments happen a little more readily, because the work he’€™s following, the routine he’€™s following, all that remains is to be consistent start to start.”

The 26-year-old has not faced the Reds in his career.

Bailey, like Doubront, has gotten off to a rocky start in 2014. After back-to-back very good years, including a no-hitter in both 2012 and 2013, the 28-year-old Bailey has been mediocre, going 2-2 in six starts with a 5.50 ERA.

The Texas native was better in his last start, a May 1 game against Milwaukee, when he went eight innings and allowed three runs on eight hits, striking out four and walking one. The Reds won the game, 8-3, and Bailey picked up his second win on the year.

Read the rest of this entry »

Read More: Boston Red Sox, Cincinnati Reds, felix doubront, Homer Bailey
Friday notes: John Farrell says Grady Sizemore ‘likely’ as his every day center fielder when ‘durability’ is on his side 03.21.14 at 12:53 pm ET
By   |  Comments Off

CLEARWATER, Fla. — Grady Sizemore may or may not be the starting center fielder for the Red Sox when they take the field on March 31 at Camden Yards in Baltimore. But John Farrell made it clear that at some point, likely early in the season, when he does start to play, he’ll be the starting center fielder to stay.

“We have every reason to believe at this point that he is a likely candidate to become an every day player, with durability on his side at some point,” Farrell said of the veteran outfielder who is batting .360 in eight games this spring.

Recovering from chronic knee and back ailments over the past two seasons, Sizemore came into camp not having played a competitive game since Sept. 2011. Sizemore, who’s also had a sports hernia and a bad elbow, has impressed coaches and fans alike with athletic plays in the field and a compact, efficient swing at the plate.

“There’s a progression we’re following to get to everyday play but the most encouraging thing is he has not hit the proverbial wall where we’ve bumped up against the limits and have to pull back,” Farrell said before Friday’s game against Philadelphia at Bright House Field. “We haven’t reached that yet, which is all extremely positive.”

Sizemore played in all nine innings for the first time Thursday against the Yankees and Farrell said he came through it very well and is on schedule to return to the field in a minor league game Saturday. He’ll play for the Red Sox again on Sunday and Monday and be evaluated on Tuesday morning to see how he handled the three straight games and five in six days.

“The medical exam, the medical information is guiding us with a progression. But every piece of feedback from the medical staff has been positive with the end thought that he’ll become an every day player,” Farrell said. “”There’s no template. That why we have experts in [Sports Medical Director] Dan Dyrek and our medical staff that give us that guidance.”

Despite the encouraging tone, Farrell still would not commit to Sizemore even heading north with the team when they break camp on Saturday.

“I don’t know that I would go to that point yet,” Farrell said. “I think we need to get through this coming week first.”

If Sizemore does indeed start every day in center, he will likely be the leadoff hitter as well. Thursday night, he batted first, followed by Shane Victorino, Dustin Pedroia, David Ortiz and Mike Napoli. That is a scenario that could easily translate into the regular season.

“If we have Grady in the leadoff spot, it gives us another good player,” Farrell said. “The lineup we saw [Thursday] is one scenario, one version, right-handed, left-handed matchups that are there, rest requirements might be needed. I think you know who our guys are and roughly the spots they’re in the lineup. I think we showed early in the season and late in the season that we would make changes based on matchups or who’s swinging the bat a little bit better at a given time.”

Read the rest of this entry »

Read More: aroldis chapman, Boston Red Sox, Cincinnati Reds, grady sizemore
Jonny Gomes is not a platoon player: ‘I came into camp ready to play 162′ 02.13.13 at 10:13 am ET
By   |  24 Comments

FORT MYERS, Fla. — Jonny Gomes made it very clear Wednesday that he does not consider himself a platoon player. He considers himself an everyday major league outfielder, ready to contribute to another winner.

“Platooning isn’t a position,” Gomes began. “There’s not platooning in high school, there’s not platooning in 12-year-old all-stars. We’re baseball players. Baseball players, there’s two ‘L’s. There’s leather, lumber and you play every single day. Have I platooned in the past? Yeah, and it’s helped us win. I figure, if you succeed at platooning, you should have the opportunity to have more on your plate. If you succeed at a task, you should be able to have more on your plate.

“Am I putting my foot down, asking for more time? No, absolutely not. I do whatever helps the team. Last year, I platooned with a couple of guys, no one ran their mouth, no one did anything [disruptive] and that all leads to success and that all leads to winning. As soon as you have guys butting heads for playing time, it all starts to go downhill a little bit. I came into camp to play 162. It’s not my choice, I don’t make the lineup but when my name is call, count on that I’ll be ready.”

Gomes was signed to a two-year deal in the offseason for $10 million to help fill a void in left field. He is a .284 hitter with a .894 OPS against left-handed pitching. He is .223 and .732 against righties. He helped Oakland to a wild and crazy ride to the AL West title in 2012, something he reminded everyone Wednesday at JetBlue Park.

[Click here to listen to the baseball stylings of Jonny Gomes]

“What can I add? Hopefully, some right-handed sock,” Gomes said. “I’ve got some speed as well. Just continue to play the game right. I’m open to batting anywhere in the lineup so up, down, move around, protect some guys, help some guys touch the plate.

“Obviously, I’m a little biased to the chemistry [factor]. I have three division titles in the last five years with three different teams. Last year with Oakland, $41 million payroll in the AL West. You can’t really say we did it with a bunch of Ferraris. I wouldn’t recommend building that team again and running it out there but what does it all go to, what does it all go to?

Everyone looks back into the clubhouse, it’s got to be the clubhouse, it’s got to be everyone being friends. Again, I did it in 2010 with the Reds and 2008 with the Rays, and what does it all have in common? It’s different for everybody but once you get inside that clubhouse, you figure some things out, it really does all add up. I definitely biased to it. I haven’t done it once, I haven’t done it twice, I’ve done it three times in the last five years. Granted, I don’t have a ring but division titles are pretty hard to come by these days and hopefully get some more.”

One more thing, don’t ask Gomes about the 2012 Red Sox.

“I think what’s different about me and some of the guys that came in here, we weren’t miserable last year,” he said. “I wasn’t. Do I know what happened here last year? Absolutely. But I’m not going to let that bring me down. I wasn’t a part of it. I won a division title last year. We had a great year. I don’t know about [being] miserable and butting heads with everyone in the clubhouse. I can’t respond to that because I didn’t do it. I’m not going to change the person I am by any means. I’m just going to come in here and do what I do.

“I’ve played the game long enough, been in the game for a while. I’ve seen it work, I know it works. At the same time, I’ve seen this place rock and roll. I was against these guys in 2004 and 2007. I’ve seen Sox Nation, Fenway, Boston just being at the highest level it could possibly be. We’re not too far removed from that. There are still some core pieces in here that have rings, that have Red Sox [World Series] rings. It’s not like were bringing the 70s or 80s [Red Sox teams] back. We don’t have to go too far back in the history books to find winning in a Red Sox uniform. These guys are still here.

“Time will tell, right?,” he said.

Read More: 2013 spring training, Boston Red Sox, Cincinnati Reds, Jonny Gomes
Red Sox among four teams interested in closer Francisco Cordero 12.20.11 at 5:36 pm ET
By   |  9 Comments

When the pistol fired on the free-agent shopping season, it was the market for closer’s that got off to the earliest jump. Jonathan Papelbon became the first prominent game-ender to move, signing a four-year, $50 million with the Phillies, and since his contract, Joe Nathan got $14.5 million over two years from the Rangers,  Heath Bell (3 years, $27 million) has signed as a free agent, Matt Capps got $4.75 million for one more year with the Twins and the Mets signed both Frank Francisco (two years, $12 million) and Jon Rauch (one year, $3.5 million). Meanwhile, there were three notable trades involving late-innings relievers, with Huston Street being sent by the Rockies to the Padres, Sergio Santos going from the White Sox to the Blue Jays and Mark Melancon heading from Houston to the Red Sox.

All of that movement has significantly narrowed the field of potential destinations for those remaining on the market. That undoubtedly has been the case for Francisco Cordero, the most established closer on the free-agent market this offseason.

At season’s end, Cordero — who had a 2.45 ERA and 37 saves for the Reds in 2011, in a year when his strikeout rate fell to a career-low 5.4 per nine innings — received contact from eight to 10 teams, according to his agent, Bean Stringfellow. Since then, that number has been whittled to four.

The Red Sox, according to multiple industry sources, have shown interest in the 36-year-old closer. The Angels and another team have also been in dialogue with the pitcher, as have the Reds, who have said on multiple occasions that they were interested in bringing back the pitcher who averaged 71 appearances per year for them over the course of the four-year, $45 million deal that ran from 2008-11. Read the rest of this entry »

Read More: bean stringfellow, Cincinnati Reds, francisco cordero, Hot Stove 2011
Trade Deadline: Reds reportedly out of running for Carlos Beltran 07.26.11 at 11:24 am ET
By   |  22 Comments

Depending on which you report you read, Carlos Beltran may or may not wish to stay in the National League, but the Reds, one of the senior-circuit teams who could be interested in the Mets outfielder, aren’t talking to New York about any deal, according to a tweet from ESPN’s Buster Olney.

The Reds appear to be all set in right field with Jay Bruce, who owns an .844 OPS to go with 21 HR and 57 RBI. They would have a bigger need in left, where Jonny Gomes doesn’t inspire too much confidence with his .211 average and .735 OPS. But it has been widely reported that Beltran would rather stay in right field than move to another position, thus probably negating any interest that the Reds may have had.

Read More: 2011 Trade Deadline, carlos beltran, Cincinnati Reds,
Trade Deadline: Eight teams, including Yankees, send scouts to see Rockies’ Ubaldo Jimenez 07.15.11 at 12:27 pm ET
By   |  8 Comments

Seventeen scouts from eight MLB teams ‘€” including the Yankees ‘€” were at Coors Field Thursday to watch Rockies starter Ubaldo Jimenez pitch against the Brewers, Tracy Ringolsby of FoxSports.com reported. Not every team has expressed specific interest in Jimenez, but the Reds ‘€” another team with scouts present Thursday ‘€” have done so.

The Tigers, Braves, Phillies, Cardinals, White Sox and Indians also sent scouts to Thursday’s game.

Jimenez went six innings vs. Milwaukee, allowing two runs on six hits, with two walks and four strikeouts. He is 4-8 with a 4.14 ERA and a .241 BAA this season.

Red Sox fans may best remember Jimenez as the starting pitcher for Game 2 of the 2007 World Series. Jimenez pitched 4 2/3 innings against the Red Sox, giving up two earned runs on three hits and five walks with two strikeouts in a losing effort.

Read More: 2011 Trade Deadline, Cincinnati Reds, New York Yankees, ubaldo jimenez
Trade Deadline: Reds, Rockies not jumping ship yet 07.07.11 at 1:54 pm ET
By   |  12 Comments

With the two teams just eight and 10 1/2 games back of the National League Wild Card-leading Braves respectively with less than half a season left to go, neither the Reds nor the Rockies are expected be testing the selling waters of the trade market in the immediate lead-up to the July 31 trade deadline.

Reds GM Walt Jocketty said that despite his team’s even 44-44 record, he will not add or subtract a player or two just to mix things up in the hopes of livening up his squad, according to the Cincinnati Enquirer.

“I don’t normally react that way,” Jocketty said. “If I make a move, I do so not to shake things up but to make the club better.”

The Rockies, on the other hand, seem to be in more dire straits as they stand below .500 at 41-46.  According to The Denver Post, if anything Colorado will look to make additions to its pitching as well as one to its outfield. The Post only mentions former All-Star starting pitcher Aaron Cook and third baseman Ian Stewart, both of whom have struggled on the field with injuries in 2011, as pieces that the Rockies would be willing to let go. Meanwhile, they are expected to hold onto closer Huston Street and utilityman Ty Wigginton, who are expected to be more attractive trade pieces for contenders come the end of the month.

Colorado has already inquired about Twins starters, including Francisco Liriano, but Minnesota is similarly looking to hold out until it knows it is absolutely out of the running in both the AL Central and the Wild Card races.

Read More: 2011 Trade Deadline, Cincinnati Reds, colorado rockies,
Red Sox Box Score
Red Sox Schedule
Ace Ticket
Red Sox Headlines
Red Sox Minor League News
Red Sox Team Leaders
MLB Headlines
Tips & Feedback

Verify