|What are the Red Sox’ options with Alfredo Aceves?||02.18.13 at 6:38 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — It’s no secret. The Red Sox are watching pitcher Alfredo Aceves carefully this spring to figure out whether the pitcher’s tremendous individual talent can fit within the overall team concept.
The fact that manager John Farrell and pitching coach Juan Nieves had to talk to him on Sunday, after the pitcher spent what was intended to be a live batting practice session lobbing pitches gently towards home plate, suggested at least a yellow flag for the pitcher’s relationship with the team, if not yet a red one — particularly given his growing history of suspect behavior with the Red Sox.
For now, it would appear that the team will try to work with Aceves and see if the rubber-armed right-hander, who avoided arbitration last month by agreeing to a $2.65 million non-guaranteed salary for the 2013 season, can move in the same direction as his teammates. But if he doesn’t, and if the team decides it does not want him on its big league roster this year, what options does it have?
— Obviously, the team could trade Aceves. In doing so, the team would likely get little return given the makeup questions that surround him, but perhaps another team would absorb some or all of his salary.
— The team could waive Aceves; if another team claimed him, the Sox could simply cut ties and let the other club assume his contract. Read the rest of this entry »
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Jackie Bradley, Jr.