|Hot Stove: Twins trade OF Denard Span to Nationals||11.30.12 at 11:03 am ET|
The Nationals acquired center fielder Denard Span from the Twins for minor league pitcher Alex Meyer on Thursday.
Span hit .284 with 90 steals and a .357 on-base percentage during five seasons with the Twins. Last season, he hit .284 with four home runs and 41 RBIs. He missed games late in the season due to a strained right collarbone, which let Ben Revere play some games and showcase his talent, likely leading the Twins to pull the trigger on dealing Span.
“He’s going to bring a dimension to the club that we haven’t had before,” Nationals’ general manager Mike Rizzo said, “a fast-moving, exciting guy that makes contact and moves the guy around and can fly around the field.”
Span tweeted that he was excited to be joining the Nationals.
The 22-year-old Meyer, a top prospect for the Nationals, played for the Potomac Nationals in the Carolina League and the Hagerstown Suns in the South Atlantic League this past season. Combined, he was 10-6 in 25 starts with a 2.86 ERA.
|Trade Deadline: Yankees reportedly ‘in on everybody’||07.22.12 at 9:52 am ET|
Philadelphia may shop Victorino or let him leave and collect a draft choice when the season ends. If the Phillies are willing to part with Victorino before July 31, Heyman reported the Yankees would be interested.
It seems unlikely Upton will land with the Yankees and a source told Heyman the Twins are asking for a lot in return for Span.
This season Victorino, who has played seven of his eight years with Philadelphia, is batting .253 with 38 RBI. Arizona’s Upton is batting .274 for 41 RBI while Span has a .276 batting average and 29 RBI.
|Trade Deadline: Twins reportedly to become sellers after 14-run loss||07.27.11 at 6:39 am ET|
In recent weeks, the Twins were reportedly torn between trading veterans at the deadline or hanging on to their talent for a playoff push. According to The Sporting News, Monday night’s 20-6 loss to the Rangers has made that decision much easier, and the Twins will now look to sell.
The blowout loss dropped the Twins to 15-16 over their past 31 games, and seven games behind the Tigers in the AL Central. At 47-55 entering Tuesday, the Twins are 14 games out of the AL wild card race.
The Twins reportedly have been asked about outfielder Michael Cuddyer (who pitched the eighth inning in Monday night’s loss), outfielder Denard Span and pitcher Kevin Slowey.
|Trade Deadline: Nationals and Twins reportedly have discussed Denard Span||07.25.11 at 4:26 pm ET|
The Nationals and Twins have reportedly discussed a trade involving center fielder Denard Span, according to Ken Rosenthal of FoxSports.com. Span, the Twins outfielder has been out since June 7 with a concussion, but is currently on a rehab assignment.
Closer Drew Storen and All-Star setup man Tyler Clippard are players the Twins will most likely seek, but according to Rosenthal’s sources the Nationals are unwilling to deal them. Rosenthal adds that the Twins might seek right-hander’s Todd Coffey or Henry Rodriguez.
Before suffering the concussion Span was hitting .294 with two home runs and 15 RBIs. Rosenthal also notes that the Nationals are reportedly interested in outfielders including the Rays’ B.J. Upton, the Cardinals’ Colby Rasmus and the Astros’ Michael Bourn.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory