|Don Mattingly on Shane Victorino: Red Sox fans will ‘love him there’||12.04.12 at 7:22 pm ET|
‘He’s a pain, man. I’m telling you. He’s one of those guys who has high-energy, plays hard every day, he’s a good defender,’ Mattingly said from the winter meetings. ‘I think he struggled with us because I think he tried too hard. I really think when he came over he really was trying to show what he could do. He didn’t need to do that. I like him a lot.’
Victorino played in 53 games with the Dodgers after being acquired from the Phillies at the non-waiver trade deadline. The switch-hitter managed just a .245 batting average and .667 OPS with 15 stolen bases for Los Angeles, playing primarily left field.
It was an adjustment for the 32-year-old, who had spent all but one of his nine big league seasons with the Phillies. In 101 games in Philadelphia leading up to the trade, Victorino hit .261 with a .724 OPS with nine homers and 24 stolen bases.
Now, Victorino has agreed to a three-year, $39 million deal with the Red Sox, where he is projected to play the majority of the time in right field.
‘He can play all three [outfield positions],’ said Mattingly. ‘He’s really good.’
Perhaps the biggest knock on Victorino stemming from his ‘12 season was an inability to hit right-handed pitching. He hit just .229 with a .629 OPS hitting left-handed, compared to his .323/.906 as a righty. Prior to ‘12, his average hitting left-handed was .272.
Again, Mattingly feels there was an explanation for the struggles.
‘He seems to be a little bit better right-handed, obviously. Still, I think last year the part we saw was just different than the years previous,’ said Mattingly. ‘I think part of that was trying too hard. But he’s a little rough. It’s not like Chipper Jones‘ swing. It’s a little rough, it’s athletic, but it’s high-energy and it’s a guy who plays hard. If he were to go there, they would love him there because he plays hard.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins