|Buster Olney on MFB: Giants 3B Pablo Sandoval would be ‘really good fit’ with Red Sox||09.24.14 at 2:37 pm ET|
ESPN’s Buster Olney made his weekly appearance on Middays with MFB on Wednesday to discuss Derek Jeter‘s farewell tour and possible Red Sox offseason targets. To hear the interview, go to the MFB audio on demand page.
Asked about the future of promising rookie Mookie Betts, who has played center field and second base in the majors this season, Olney suggested that Giants third baseman Pablo Sandoval might be a good fit for the Red Sox, and the acquisition of a player like him would affect where Betts would end up.
“I saw the Giants the last couple of nights, and there’s a lot of anticipation within that organization that someone’s going to make a run at Pablo Sandoval. That team could turn out to be the Red Sox,” Olney said. “He would fit them in a lot of regards. When I talked to some people with the Giants about that, they were nodding their heads and said, ‘You know what? He’d be a really good fit.’ Because he could play third base, and he had a good year defensively. He’s regressed toward the end of the year. You guys now, he’s had conditioning issues, he’s put on some weight during the year. But he squares up a baseball. And if you sign him to a four- or five-year deal and the first couple of years he’s playing third base, and when David Ortiz moves on he could slide into DH. He’d be a nice fit.
“And if you had Sandoval then that obviously changes the equation with Betts. So we’ll just have to wait and see what other moves they make. I think the bottom line is wherever you put Mookie Betts, he’s going to be a good player. The number that really jumps out at me is pitches per plate appearance. It’s almost 4.5. Which means even as a guy in his first days in the big leagues, he’s demonstrating that ability to work the count, to get on base, to be an on-base percentage guy. And I do think we have to remember that after the postseason last year we all thought Xander Bogaerts would come in this year and be a major star, and he’s had some growing pains. And that may be what happens with Betts. But when you talk with people on other teams, they think he’s a legitimate, high-end player who is going to be with them for a long time.”
Another option at third base could be Pirates slugger Pedro Alvarez, who might be available via a trade after having some defensive issues this season before being diagnosed with a season-ending stress reaction in his left foot.
“He is a guy who this year really struggled with his confidence at third,” Olney said. “It seems like he’s got what’s referred to as ‘the thing’ in terms of throwing. And I don’t think if you were the Red Sox you would acquire him with confidence that he could play third base. Now, he is a big-time power hitter. … But I do wonder, when you’re talking about someone who is dealing with a confidence issue in terms of throwing, is Boston the best place for him? That would be one of the questions that I would ask.”
|John Farrell on MFB: ‘Probably likely’ Dustin Pedroia inactive for remainder of season||09.10.14 at 11:01 am ET|
Red Sox manager John Farrell, making his weekly WEEI appearance Wednesday, told Middays with MFB that Dustin Pedroia is “probably likely” to miss the rest of the season due to an injury to his left hand/wrist. To hear the interview, go to the MFB audio on demand page.
Pedroia, in the midst of a subpar offensive season (.278/.337/.376), had an MRI on Tuesday that revealed inflammation in the wrist. The 30-year-old was scheduled to meet with team representatives Wednesday to determine a course of action.
“Nothing has been arranged as far as surgery,” Farrell said. “Information is still being gathered. There’s not been a final, like I said, target date or decision in this way. It’s pointing towards him having the procedure done. So, whether or not he remains inactive — it’s probably likely he is inactive the rest of the way.
This injury is the latest in a series of issues with Pedroia’s hands. He had surgery on his left thumb last offseason.
“Let’s face it, he’s had a number of collisions, headfirst slides, a number of things that have affected the hands, and he’s dealing with it in the left hand right now,” Farrell said. “We look at it like, if this procedure is needed, which, the initial reports — and let’s face it, surgery is always something you have to be concerned with, but … the severity of it is not like a high-risk situation with him.
“So, we look at it like if there’s a chance to get an additional two weeks of recovery time so he can get into some strength training throughout the winter and go through a normal offseason workout program as he gets into later November and beyond, that’s probably the avenue chosen here.
“What Dustin means to us is obvious. This is the heartbeat of our team, and we’ve got to get him back to 100 percent as soon as we can.”
|Dustin Pedroia: Surgery possible for thumb/wrist inflammation he’s been managing all year||09.09.14 at 11:39 pm ET|
Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia, who underwent an MRI on Tuesday that revealed inflammation in his left wrist (near the same thumb on which he had surgery last offseason), acknowledged that season-ending surgery is a possibility for the issue. The 30-year-old said that he will meet with club officials and medical personnel on Wednesday to decide the proper course of action.
“There’s getting rest, continue to play, or surgery. There’s three things we could do,” Pedroia said after the Sox’ 4-1 loss. “We’ll come up with a plan the best we can that’s best for the team.”
Pedroia said that he’s been dealing with discomfort for much of the year. His surgery to repair a torn ulnar collateral ligament in his left thumb last offseason required ongoing rehab that stretched into the start of the season. But when he was wiped out at second base on a double play early in the year (though he didn’t identify a date, Pedroia was wrecked at second base by Brewers outfielder Carlos Gomez in the first home series of the year), he experienced discomfort that has lingered throughout the season and that has gotten worse recently.
“Obviously I’ve been kind of dealing with it for most of the year, but I mean, that’s the part of the job. The training staff and everyone’s done a great job getting me out there. Obviously, dealing with little injuries and things like that, it’s a part of it. You try to find a way to play through it,” said Pedroia. “I fell early in the year, I got taken out at second, and you know, it’s pretty inflamed. We tried to manage it the best we can, and it just gets to a point where obviously it hurts. It’s tough going out there and trying to do what you’re accustomed to doing and you can’t. But I will soon.” Read the rest of this entry »
|Kevin Millar on MFB: ‘I don’t think you give up on a Will Middlebrooks’||09.05.14 at 12:29 pm ET|
MLB Network’s Kevin Millar made his weekly appearance on Middays with MFB on Friday to discuss the Red Sox following Thursday’s disappointing loss to the Yankees. To hear the interview, go to the MFB audio on demand page.
In Thursday’s game, Sox closer Koji Uehara continued to struggle, allowing a pair of solo home runs in the ninth inning as New York walked off with a 5-4 decision. There has been discussion that the team might shut down Uehara and let him rest up for next season.
“There’s nothing to lose now,” Millar said. “It’s kind of an odd season, guys, let’s get it straight. From last place, first place, last place. You’ve got things to address, go ahead and address them. He’s given up big-time home runs this year; last year he was invincible. It’s pretty funny how the years are different. Everything went right last year and now he’s in the scuffle mode. I’m a big fan of Koji, but he’s had a tough time getting some outs late in the game.”
The Red Sox have expressed an interested in having Will Middlebrooks play winter league in order to be better prepared for next season. It’s not clear that Middlebrooks is on board with that idea, but Millar supports it.
“He’s still got to look in the mirror and say, ‘Listen, I’ve got to get something done. I’ve got to get something right.’ Whether that’s your swing, whether that’s your defense, whatever you’ve got to work on,” Millar said. “I think winter ball’s great. I played it a lot. I played it everywhere but Venezuela. It gives you the chance to basically get that confidence back. Because you see the talent, you see the ceiling. This is a guy, if he hits 25-30 home runs at some point in his career it wouldn’t shock you. But he hasn’t produced. He produced his first three, four months up in the big leagues, and got everybody fired up. But it’s been a struggle-bunny since. So I think winter ball’s a great call.”
Added Millar: “I don’t think you give up on a Will Middlebrooks. I like the size, I like the talent I see. ‘¦ I don’t think you give up on a kid, because corner guys, right-handed power right now, aren’t out there. Will hasn’t shown a whole lot of consistency at this level, but you also understand if something clicks he can become a guy that’s above average to a star. And it wouldn’t shock you, would it? We’ve seen a little bit of it.”
There has been some speculation that the Red Sox might considering trading Dustin Pedroia as part of their move to a younger lineup.
“No, you don’t trade Dustin Pedroia. You don’t even mention trading Dustin Pedroia,” Millar said, adding: “I’m not saying he’s untouchable, but he’s your makeup of the club. So if he has an off year this year, yeah, OK, now we’re going to trade Dustin Pedroia? He’s the only makeup and the grit and everything about the Red Sox.”
For more Red Sox news, visit the team page at weei.com/redsox.
|Red Sox assistant GM Mike Hazen on D&C: ‘We know we have some redundancies in some areas,’ including crowded outfield||09.04.14 at 9:47 am ET|
Red Sox assistant general manager Mike Hazen checked in with Dennis & Callahan on Thursday morning to discuss the future of the team and other news. To hear the interview, go to the Dennis & Callahan audio on demand page.
The Red Sox recently signed Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo, but Mookie Betts has shown promise with his play in center field of late. That’s led to questions about what the outfield will look like next season.
“We have a long offseason to go. ‘¦ I think both Castillo and Betts, I see them on the team. What position they’re playing, who’s in the lineup, how it all shakes out, we have a long way to go in this offseason,” Hazen said.
“I think what we’ve tried to do as we’ve moved through the trading deadline and into the rest of the regular season was to acquire or amass as many really good major league players as we could. We know we have some redundancies in some areas, we have some holes in other areas that need to be plugged. And there’s two ways we’re going to plug those holes. We’re going to do it with money in the free agent market, and we’re going to be able to do it via trade, having good major league players, not just minor league players to trade. We may trade some minor league guys as well, but having those good, established major league hitters — a lot of these guys that have power, which is a commodity in the game, set us up fairly well in a strong position at least.
“I know trades are tough to pull off no matter what you’re dealing with because you need two to tango on this. But we’re going to be in a pretty good position we think going into the offseason given the assets and the players that we have both on the roster and in the minor leagues, and the financial resources that we have coming off the books currently to be able to fill the holes that we need to fill.”
|Red Sox being cautious with Dustin Pedroia after hit to head||09.01.14 at 1:29 pm ET|
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — Dustin Pedroia, sidelined since displaying concussion-like symptoms after taking an elbow to the head during Saturday’s game, remained out of the lineup for Monday’s series finale with the Rays at Tropicana Field.
“A little bit better, and yet he still has some of the symptoms. So this is clearly a day-to-day thing,” manager John Farrell said of Pedroia, who was was hit by Rays baserunner Logan Forsythe on a play at second base. “We’re probably at least another day from any kind of exertion test or any kind of ramping up of the heart rate to see if there’s still some residual … but he’s sore where the impact took place on the side of the head. As I mentioned the other day, we’ll be cautious with this.”
“I think if he returns at some point during the Yankees series, that’s optimistic,” Farrell said. “Not ruling it out. Dustin may have a different view of that right now. We still have to go through all the required steps, regardless of DL or not, and that’s documentation, that’s testing, that’s examination by medical people, doctors included. We’re in the midst of that.”
Brock Holt started a second base Monday for the second straight day. Mookie Betts was primarily a second baseman in the minors before transitioning to center field this year, but Farrell said the team has no plans to return the rookie to the infield now.
“No, because it’s been quite a while since Mookie has had any reps at second,” Farrell said. “He’s had a lot on his plate this year with defensive positioning and changes to it and don’t want to take him back and forth.”
|Dustin Pedroia experiences concussion-like symptoms after leaving game||08.30.14 at 8:04 pm ET|
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia left Saturday night’s game against the Rays in the second inning after being hit in the left side of the head by a swinging elbow from Tampa Bay baserunner Logan Forsythe.
Pedroia had just gathered in the throw from center fielder Mookie Betts when he lunged to tag Forsythe, who was tagging up from first on a fly ball to deep center field. The Rays baserunner slid head first, swinging his right arm around and striking Pedroia just below his cap.
After calling time, Pedroia immediately slumped face down on the ground, leading to Red Sox manager John Farrell and trainer Brad Pearson sprinting onto the field. After a consultation with Pearson, the second baseman was led off the field.
Following the Red Sox‘ 7-0 loss to the Rays, Farrell said that Pedroia was experiencing concussion-like symptoms.
“The head-first slide, Pedey’s coming in to try to put a quick tag on him,” Farrell said. “Momentum looked like Forsythe’s slide, he struck him with his elbow. That was clear. It looked like the momentum took him across the bag. He’s reaching out ahead of him to try to brace himself and not slide past the bag, and as he’s reaching forward he caught him with a good elbow to the left side of the head.
“He’s got some symptoms that are consistent with a concussion. He’s improved as the game has gone on … Not as dizzy as he was when he first came off. But we’ll take every precaution necessary with Dustin.”
After the game, Forsythe was adamant there was nothing intentional about the blow to the head.
“Absolutely not,” he said. “I’m definitely not that kind of player, and the only move that I made was to try to swim-move the tag to get out of the way. It was a bang-bang play, and you know the way he came down, too. It was just a hard play.”
Brock Holt moved over from third base, replacing Pedroia at second, with Will Middlebrooks coming in to play third.
The Red Sox trailed 3-0 at the time of Pedroia’s departure.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Top 40 Season in Review: Anderson Espinoza and Alex Hassan
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rivero, Castillo make early impressions
- Top 40 Season in Review: Noe Ramirez and Luis Diaz
- Top 40 Season in Review: Bryce Brentz and Christopher Acosta
- Top 40 Season in Review: Justin Haley and Jake Cosart
- Top 40 Season in Review: Drake Britton and Dalier Hinojosa
- Top 40 Season in Review: Cody Kukuk and Jamie Callahan
- Top 40 Season in Review: Dan Butler and Mauricio Dubon
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Coyle impress early
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three