Full Count
A Furiously Updated Red Sox Blog
WEEI.com Blog Network
Posts related to ‘John Farrell’
Red Sox reaction to Michael Pineda: ‘Something has to be said’ 04.24.14 at 12:06 am ET
By   |  No Comments

John Farrell had no choice Wednesday night at Fenway Park. There was no room for looking the other way from the greasy skin of Michael Pineda this time.

After watching the Yankees right-hander Michael Pineda blatantly used pine tar on his hand in a 4-1 win on April 10 at Yankee Stadium, the Red Sox manager said he had no choice but to call for home plate umpire Gerry Davis to inspect the right side of Pineda’s neck in the second inning Wednesday at Fenway Park.

What Davis found was an obvious streak of pine tar used by the pitcher to gain an advantage on the grip of the baseball. The blatant use of pine tar represented an obvious violation of rule 8.02 (4) of applying a foreign substance to the ball and Pineda was immediately ejected. After being warned by MLB after his previous violation in New York, Pineda faces an almost certain suspension of at least eight games from Major League Baseball for the latest infraction.

John Farrell explained his case in detail after Boston’s 5-1 win Wednesday night:

“In the second inning it looked from the dugout that there was a substance on his neck,” Farrell said. “You could see it, I could see it from the dugout. It was confirmed by a number of camera angles in the ballpark, and given the last time we faced him, I felt like it was a necessity to say something.

“I fully respect on a cold night you’re trying to get a little bit of a grip. But when it’s that obvious, something has got to be said.”

Farrell continued: “I can say our awareness was heightened, given what we’ve seen in the past, and it was confirmed today.”

Farrell was asked if he fears the Yankees retaliating and asking umpires to check Red Sox pitchers on the mound. Clay Buchholz was accused by Toronto broadcasters early in the 2013 season of using suntan lotion for the same purpose.

“We’ll see what tomorrow brings,” Farrell said. “I don’t know that. As obvious as this was, I felt like he needed to be checked at the time.”

Read the rest of this entry »

Read More: Boston Red Sox, John Farrell, Michael Pineda, New York Yankees
John Farrell on Dale & Holley: Red Sox’ search for lineup stability may subside with return of Shane Victorino 04.23.14 at 3:25 pm ET
By   |  No Comments

Red Sox manager John Farrell , in his weekly interview on WEEI’s Dale & Holley show, confirmed that the Sox informed Nava last night that he was being optioned to Triple-A Pawtucket. To listen to the interview, visit the Dale & Holley audio on demand page.

After hitting .303 with a .385 OBP last year, Nava has struggled to a .149 average and .240 OBP.

“That’s never a fun conversation. I think he was certainly disappointed by the news he was going to be optioned back. He was a big part of this offense last year, particularly as a left-handed hitter. But we’ve got to get him back on track. The at-bats and the consistency of at-bats is not there right now as it was a year ago. There’s a need for a little bit more of a consistent two-strike approach, and he needs to go back and continue to get reps as a right-handed hitter,” said Farrell. “We feel like he’s going to contribute to this offense before the year is out. We’ve just got to get him back hitting with confidence and just the overall game played with more confidence.”

Nava will be replaced on the roster by right-hander Alex Wilson on Wednesday, but Shane Victorino is expected to return as soon as Thursday. While the 33-year-old has struggled during his minor league rehab assignment (1-for-11, an infield hit), Farrell believes that Victorino will immediately change the team’s dynamic.

“He will have an impact I think the day he walks onto the field for us. One, physically, he feels good. That’s the biggest question that we had to answer, just the ability to go back-to-back days. The durability, that is there,” said Farrell. “His defense impacts every game he plays in right field. So, first and foremost, where we’ve had some balls that have come back to bite us a little bit in right field, that will be the impact on the defensive side.

“Timing-wise at the plate, we know that will continue as he gets at-bats here at the big league level,” he added. “Saying that he’s going to step back in and he’ll be a .400 on-base guy, that’s not the expectation. But I think we miss the defense. We miss the energy that he brings, and the overall attitude he adds to the edge of this club once we take the field.”

Victorino’s return could help bring the Sox a measure of lineup stability that has been absent. The loss of Victorino — the primary occupant of the second spot in the Red Sox batting order last year — and the departure of leadoff constant Jacoby Ellsbury in free agency has left the Sox in a state of some lineup disorientation, with five different leadoff hitters and 19 different lineups — none of which has been featured more than twice.  (The lineup featured by Farrell on Wednesday will be the Sox’ 20th of the year.) Read the rest of this entry »

Read More: Clay Buchholz, daniel nava, Dustin Pedroia, John Farrell
Red Sox COO Sam Kennedy on D&C: ‘We all need a little bit of patience’ as team struggles through April 04.17.14 at 9:44 am ET
By   |  No Comments
Sam Kennedy

Sam Kennedy

Red Sox COO Sam Kennedy checked in with Dennis & Callahan on Thursday morning and said owner John Henry called manager John Farrell on Wednesday to offer his support during the team’s early season struggles. To hear the interview, go to the Dennis & Callahan audio on demand page.

The Red Sox, bringing up the rear in the American League East, improved to 6-9 with Wednesday’s 6-4, 14-inning victory over the White Sox.

“I think repeating [as champions] is probably one of the hardest things to do in professional sports, and we are off to an awful start. While there have been some positives, it’s been really bad,” Kennedy said. “April, you really like to get off to a good start, so it’s been disappointing. People say, ‘Is there a hangover, is there a letdown?’ Whatever it is, you can really point to the basics. We’re not hitting. I think we’re hitting about a buck-fifty with runners in scoring position. We were 1-4 going into last night’s game in one-run games. That’s not going to last. [Dustin] Pedroia, [Will] Middlebrooks, now [Mike] Napoli, [Shane] Victorino missing time, Koji [Uehara]. It’s a lot of factors to point to. I think we need to have some perspective.

“I know for a fact that John Henry reached out to John Farrell and Ben Cherington yesterday just to say, ‘Hey, guys, it’s early, hang in there, things are going to be OK.’ Because you could tell how frustrated those guys are. And we all are. But we do have to have a little bit of perspective. This is our 13th year here together in Boston. Things will get better. Guys will start to hit. Again, the pitching’s been there. So, we all need a little bit of patience. And I know that’s hard for most of us.”

The other big Red Sox news over the last week relates to the negotiations for a new contract with left-hander Jon Lester. A recent report indicated the Red Sox made a lowball offer of about $70 million for four years.

“You have to remember, we’re starting from a place where the Red Sox, from John Henry on down to Jon Lester, want to make a deal. That’s the starting place. I think everybody feels good about that,” Kennedy said. “The problem with negotiations and details from baseball negotiations getting into the public domain when you have a leak like we did this past week related to this deal is one data point gets into the media, gets out there, gets dissected. I can tell you there are lots of other data points related to this negotiation that are not in the public spotlight, in the media. All I’ll say is that Ben Cherington, Jon Lester, Larry Lucchino, our ownership group will continue to work on this. And it’s clearly best when baseball discussions are kept private, and then baseball decisions are made public. That’s been our philosophy.

“Do we want to see Jon Lester in a Red Sox uniform for a long, long time? Absolutely, yes. As a fan, I hope that he is with us for a long, long time. We’ll see where things go over the coming weeks and months. But I’m hopeful that we do end up getting something done there.”

Read the rest of this entry »

Read More: ben cherington, John Farrell, John Henry, Jon Lester
John Farrell: ‘It’s hard to have any faith in the [replay] system’ 04.14.14 at 12:23 am ET
By   |  No Comments
John Farrell was ejected after arguing a decision reversed by replay. (AP)

John Farrell was ejected after arguing a decision reversed by replay. (AP)

Red Sox manager John Farrell felt that the replays were inconclusive. His feelings about the replay system are anything but.

On Sunday night, the Red Sox saw a video review go against them for the second straight day. On Saturday, the ruling both on the field and by replay officials — who failed to uphold Farrell’s challenge that Dean Anna had overslid the bag and was thus out — proved an immediate embarrassment when decisive still shots proved that the Yankees shortstop had been out. On Sunday night, the replay ruling – an overrule of a call on the field, with Francisco Cervelli deemed to have beaten out what would have been an inning-ending double play and instead having legged out what proved to be a decisive run-scoring fielder’s choice in New York’s 3-2 win — was less egregious.

Nonetheless, Farrell insisted that the replays did not offer decisive evidence to support the reversal of the on-field call. He said that the ball was in first baseman Mike Napoli‘s glove by the time Cervelli’s foot landed on the bag, and that the Sox had been told that a player need not squeeze the ball with his glove for the out to be called. And given his discomfort with the decisions of the two consecutive games, the Sox manager used the opportunity to unload on the replay system that Major League Baseball has introduced this year.

“We felt that it was clear that the replay was inconclusive,” Farrell told reporters in New York. “The frustrating part is when this was rolled out and explained to us, particularly on the throw received by the first baseman, we were instructed that when the ball enters the glove, not that it has to hit the back of the glove, is where the out is deemed complete. At the same time, any angle that we looked at, you couldn’t tell if the foot was on the bag behind Mike Napoli‘s leg. Where this became conclusive is a hard pill to swallow. On the heels of yesterday, it’s hard to have any faith in the system, to be honest with you.” Read the rest of this entry »

Read More: John Farrell, replay,
Red Sox notes: John Farrell explains switch for Grady Sizemore 04.10.14 at 7:37 pm ET
By   |  No Comments
Jackie Bradley Jr.

Jackie Bradley Jr.

NEW YORK — Prior to his team’€™s series-opening game against the Yankees Thursday night, John Farrell explained why Grady Sizemore had been pushed over to left field, with Jackie Bradley Jr. manning center.

Farrell said the move had more to do with the venue then anything else.

“With the ground that’s going to be covered here in Yankee Stadium is almost the reverse of what we deal with at Fenway,” he said. “To keep Jackie in center field and Grady over in left is for that particular reason — to cover the vast space that’s on the left side of the field.”

The manager then added, “As we sat down and talked with Grady about this, well aware that he has defensively only played center field at the big-league level, he’s played a number of games at the minor league level in left field. The alignment being here at Yankee Stadium, that’s what we’re looking to cover.

“It’s an alignment we’ve talked about internally. It’s best fitting here with the ground to cover. Whether or not this is something we do, I’m not going to say on a permanent basis because we’ve shown we’re going to rotate Jonny Gomes through there and he’s going to get ample time in left field as well. This is the way we’re going at it tonight. This isn’t something that we’re looking to pencil in every day going forward.”

Then there was the matter of where Sizemore was hitting in the lineup.

For just the second time this season, the outfielder found himself at the top of the batting order, with Farrell moving Daniel Nava — who had gotten the majority of time at the top of the order against right-handed starters — down to fifth.

“It’s as much trying to get Daniel going,” Farrell said. “We still value the on-base, which Daniel has a strong track record of that, and yet right now we feel like we’ve got to give him an opportunity to get his feet on the ground offensively. Once he does, we feel like he’ll be in that spot. Just trying to make the most of the current streaks or the way guys are swinging the bat right now.”

Read the rest of this entry »

Read More: daniel nava, grady sizemore, jackie bradley jr., Jacoby Ellsbury
Red Sox pregame notes: David Ortiz’s night off ‘planned down day’ 04.05.14 at 5:19 pm ET
By   |  No Comments

Prior to Saturday night’s game at Fenway Park against the Brewers, Red Sox manager John Farrell said sitting David Ortiz was planned. Ortiz has experienced some calf tightness, but, according to Farrell, the physical issue wasn’t the primary reason for the day off.

“He deals with a little bit of tightness from time to time,” said Farrell of the calf. “As much as anything, this was more of a planned down day.”

With Ortiz out, the Red Sox have put Grady Sizemore in the lead off spot, with Daniel Nava hitting third, Mike Napoli serving as the designated hitter and Mike Carp playing first.

“Looking at the schedule, the late-night travel, yesterday’s situation — we’ve got to, with all of our players, just rotate guys through, but Grady in the leadoff spot, he’s obviously gotten on base here with some regularity, in a spot he’s been familiar with his entire career,” said Farrell, referencing Sizemore, who will likely get Sunday off. “He’ll give us a spark at the top of the lineup.”

Sizemore, who hadn’t hit leadoff in any of the previous four games, has hit leadoff 705 games in career.

- Shane Victorino continues to battle flu-like situations while coming back from a right hamstring issue.

“He was here for a brief time yesterday,” Farrell said. “He’s not around the team. We’ll likely bring him in here during game time to continue to get treatment but not be around the majority of the players for the flu-like symptoms, the flu that he’s dealing with. He’s still in that phase. I don’t have an update on how long his separation from the team will be. That’ll be dependent upon how quickly he gets through the flu.”

- Craig Breslow, who was eligible to come off the 15-day disabled list, may get some more work with Triple-A Pawtucket.

“Continues to improve. He’s getting closer,” Farrell said. “Yesterday was his fifth overall appearance. We’ll sit down and talk with Craig a little bit more specifically on what the next step is. … All of it is a possibility.”

Read More: David Ortiz, John Farrell, Red Sox, Shane Victorino
Four key Red Sox decisions explained from Friday’s loss 04.04.14 at 7:43 pm ET
By   |  No Comments
Edward Mujica took the loss, allowing four runs in the ninth inning. (AP)

Edward Mujica took the loss, allowing four runs in the ninth inning. (AP)

Truth be told, the Red Sox‘ inability to sustain any kind of significant offensive attack against Marco Estrada and the Brewers bullpen gave Boston little likelihood of securing a victory to cap off the day in which the team’s 2013 championship was commemorated. Nonetheless, there were four key decisions in the game that played a meaningful role in the outcome.

Here’s a brief breakdown of each:

– Bottom of the second inning: Grady Sizemore tags up on a fly out to shallow right and gets thrown out at the plate for the third out of the inning.

Sizemore had reached third on his first steal of the season (indeed, his first steal since May 11, 2010) with one out, and Xander Bogaerts followed with a fly ball to shallow right. Brewers right fielder Logan Schafer — who had cost his team a run earlier in the second inning with a stray throw to third base when Mike Napoli advanced from first to third on Sizemore’s single — made a perfect throw to cut down Sizemore and end one of the Sox’ only threats of the game. But manager John Farrell had no issue with the decision by third base coach Brian Butterfield to send the runner and force the Brewers to make a perfect throw.

“[Schafer has] got a good throwing arm,” said Farrell. “Felt like his feet [were] pretty much in a standstill position, [so] even though it was a relatively shallow fly ball, we’€™re challenging it. No second guessing the decision to send him there one bit. He threw a strike from a couple hundred feet away.”

– Top of the ninth inning: Edward Mujica enters the game. Read the rest of this entry »

Read More: Edward Mujica, John Farrell, video replay,
Red Sox Box Score
Red Sox Schedule
Ace Ticket
Baseball Analytics Blog
Red Sox Headlines
Red Sox Minor League News
Red Sox Team Leaders
MLB Headlines
Tips & Feedback

Verify