|Red Sox COO Sam Kennedy on D&C: ‘We all need a little bit of patience’ as team struggles through April||04.17.14 at 9:44 am ET|
Red Sox COO Sam Kennedy checked in with Dennis & Callahan on Thursday morning and said owner John Henry called manager John Farrell on Wednesday to offer his support during the team’s early season struggles. To hear the interview, go to the Dennis & Callahan audio on demand page.
“I think repeating [as champions] is probably one of the hardest things to do in professional sports, and we are off to an awful start. While there have been some positives, it’s been really bad,” Kennedy said. “April, you really like to get off to a good start, so it’s been disappointing. People say, ‘Is there a hangover, is there a letdown?’ Whatever it is, you can really point to the basics. We’re not hitting. I think we’re hitting about a buck-fifty with runners in scoring position. We were 1-4 going into last night’s game in one-run games. That’s not going to last. [Dustin] Pedroia, [Will] Middlebrooks, now [Mike] Napoli, [Shane] Victorino missing time, Koji [Uehara]. It’s a lot of factors to point to. I think we need to have some perspective.
“I know for a fact that John Henry reached out to John Farrell and Ben Cherington yesterday just to say, ‘Hey, guys, it’s early, hang in there, things are going to be OK.’ Because you could tell how frustrated those guys are. And we all are. But we do have to have a little bit of perspective. This is our 13th year here together in Boston. Things will get better. Guys will start to hit. Again, the pitching’s been there. So, we all need a little bit of patience. And I know that’s hard for most of us.”
The other big Red Sox news over the last week relates to the negotiations for a new contract with left-hander Jon Lester. A recent report indicated the Red Sox made a lowball offer of about $70 million for four years.
“You have to remember, we’re starting from a place where the Red Sox, from John Henry on down to Jon Lester, want to make a deal. That’s the starting place. I think everybody feels good about that,” Kennedy said. “The problem with negotiations and details from baseball negotiations getting into the public domain when you have a leak like we did this past week related to this deal is one data point gets into the media, gets out there, gets dissected. I can tell you there are lots of other data points related to this negotiation that are not in the public spotlight, in the media. All I’ll say is that Ben Cherington, Jon Lester, Larry Lucchino, our ownership group will continue to work on this. And it’s clearly best when baseball discussions are kept private, and then baseball decisions are made public. That’s been our philosophy.
“Do we want to see Jon Lester in a Red Sox uniform for a long, long time? Absolutely, yes. As a fan, I hope that he is with us for a long, long time. We’ll see where things go over the coming weeks and months. But I’m hopeful that we do end up getting something done there.”
|John Henry on M&M: 2013 not ‘that big of a factor’ thanks to early success||04.04.14 at 1:46 pm ET|
Red Sox owner John Henry joined Mut & Merloni on Friday to discuss the 2014 season and contract extensions. To hear the interview, go to the Mut & Merloni audio on demand page. For Henry’s comments on Jerry Remy, click here.
For Henry, Boston’s early success has allowed the team to turn the page on the World Series championship in 2013.
“Winning cures everything,” Henry said. “The fact that we have two wins under our belt, I don’t know if we feel like we haven’t already turned the page. If we were 1-2 or 0-3, we’d be thinking about it, but I don’t think it’s that big of a factor.”
Boston’s one loss came on the first day of the season when Jon Lester came away with the loss despite giving up just two runs on six hits in seven innings. During spring training, Lester and the team decided to put talks of a contract extension on hold.
“It’s not surprising that given where the market is right now, it’s just something we haven’t been chasing the market this way,” Henry said. “Some other teams have. Jon wants to come back. He really wants to be with this club. We’re going to do as we did with Dustin [Pedroia] last year — everything we can to bring him back. He’s an important part of this club, but we’re not going to do what some clubs might do.”
Lester has said that he will take a hometown discount to remain with the club.
“When someone says that, you need to treat them with respect,” Henry said. “I know Jon personally, so, no, you don’t try to take advantage. We didn’t try to take advantage of Dustin last year in his situation — I don’t feel we did.
“It won’t be easy to come to a deal, but we’re going to work very creatively, both sides, and hopefully there will be a deal.”
|John Henry: ‘I had no input whatsoever’ regarding Boston Globe editorial critical of Jerry Remy||at 12:56 pm ET|
Red Sox owner John Henry checked in with Mut & Merloni on Friday, shortly before the start of Opening Day at Fenway Park, and touched on the Jerry Remy controversy while clarifying his relationship with The Boston Globe staff after his purchase of the newspaper last year.
Henry has voiced support for the longtime NESN Red Sox broadcaster whose son sits in jail accused of murdering his girlfriend. Remy has acknowledged enabling his son, who has a long history of domestic abuse accusations.
A week after the Globe published a lengthy, detailed story about Jared Remy‘s sordid history and his father’s attempts to protect him, the paper posted an editorial calling for Remy to delay his return to the NESN booth. This created confusion among Red Sox Nation, as it was believed that Henry would have to approve of his paper’s editorial.
Henry explained that that was not the case, insisting: “I had no input whatsoever, and I disagreed with it.”
“If it’s my paper, they’re second-guessing me,” Henry said. “As far as I’m concerned, it’s not my paper with regard to the Red Sox. They asked me if I wanted to see that article. There’s no way that I’m going to tamper with or even see in advance an article on the Red Sox. There has to be a wall there.”
Added Henry: “They have to be independent of me. If they can’t act independently, then it’s not The Boston Globe that we’ve all known over these years.”
Henry declined to reiterate his support for Remy, noting that he has done so already. However, asked if he thinks Remy will make it through the season, Henry replied: “I do.”
|John Henry on Jerry Remy: ‘All of us in Red Sox Nation stand behind him’||03.26.14 at 9:41 am ET|
Red Sox owner John Henry voiced his support for NESN analyst Jerry Remy, two days after a Boston Globe report painted a picture of Remy as an enabling father of an oft-troubled son who now stands charged with murder.
“I’ve told him, all of us in Red Sox Nation stand behind him,” Henry told WCVB-TV on Tuesday. “It’s a terrible thing he’s been going through, but we’re really glad to have him back.”
Remy has been broadcasting Red Sox games for NESN at spring training, but he returned to Boston this week in order to participate in negotiations regarding custody of his 5-year-old granddaughter. Jared Remy stands accused of killing the girl’s mother, Jennifer Martel, at the Waltham apartment they shared. He has pleaded not guilty and will go on trial in the fall.
The Martel and Remy families came to an agreement Tuesday that gives the Martels custody but allows the Remys visitation rights.
|Red Sox owner John Henry: Marlins ‘should apologize for their regular season lineup’||03.08.14 at 5:21 pm ET|
“They should apologize for their regular season lineup,” Henry wrote on twitter.
They should apologize for their regular season lineup.
The timing of Henry’s dig was unexpected, given that Miami president of baseball operations Michael Hill had said on Friday that he’d received an email from Red Sox GM Ben Cherington in the middle of Thursday’s contest apologizing for the absence of Sox regulars. Hill had told reporters on Friday that the Marlins had no issue with the Red Sox.
|John Farrell speaks to his world champions and reminds them of ‘today’ message||02.20.14 at 5:03 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Chuck Noll had a motto he liked to tell his Pittsburgh Steelers after they won a Super Bowl in the 1970s – “be tomorrow people.” Don’t be content with past accomplishments. Push forward and be driven to succeed.
John Farrell, trying to get his Red Sox to similarly repeat as world champions, had a different take Thursday on a similar theme as he addressed the team before the first full-squad workout of 2014 spring training.
“It’s to get back to a mindset that was the first day of spring training last year, and not the most recent memory, which was a great one but to recognize that there was a lot of work, a journey that went into getting that final out recorded at Fenway,” Farrell said.
“I think as you’ve been around the guys since they’ve reported, the conversation, the is about what we do today and not what’s happened previous. In a nutshell, that was probably the overall message.”
Like Noll, Farrell says he doesn’t have to worry too much about complacency because of the makeup of his clubhouse.
“No, and we talked about that in the meeting because of what of them now as people in our uniform for a full year, they’re driven by what a team can accomplish, not by what a personal achievement might represent and they’re bonded together forever by an incredible year last year,” Farrell said. “And they’re hungry to do something similar to that this year.”
Ownership, led by John Henry and Tom Werner, was on hand for the meeting and they had a chance to speak.
“If you’re able to hear the number of people speak, there was some common thread to the messages,” Farrell relayed. “There was an overall sign of unity. I think in a word, there was a tremendous amount of trust from top to bottom.”
Did players speak?
“No, nope,” Farrell said. “They had some comments but they weren’t up speaking.”
With a World Series title under his belt, Farrell knows how different the backdrop might be 12 months removed from his first speech but what he noticed Thursday were the similarities, starting with friendly faces.
“That’s the probably the biggest thing, the familiarity,” Farrell said. “It’s knowing your picking up relationship with individuals that have had a timeout from the offseason but no less than important to continue to work to build their trust each and every day.”
As for the first full day of workouts, Farrell said he was pleased.
“More than anything, first full day, it was good to see everybody out on the field,” Farrell said. “Full compliment of the roster. Encouraged by the first bullpen of Jake Peavy today. Overall, a solid day.”
“It was really his first bullpen but the fact that he’s back in the flow of things. He was held out because of some discomfort in that hand, and that’s not there so that’s a good thing. He’ll probably need a couple of more bullpens before we get to BP. I can’t say that it’s going to have a real long delay for his first outing in camp. There’s still plenty of time to get him up to the appropriate number of pitches to start the season.”
|Mike Petraglia, Alex Speier talk David Ortiz and John Henry and whether a deal gets done||02.19.14 at 5:29 pm ET|
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Owens lifts Portland, Guzman's big day not enough for Greenville
- Justin Haley promoted to Portland; Jonathan Aro moved up to Salem
- Players of the Week, 7/21-27: Brian Johnson & Travis Shaw
- Cup of Coffee: Rain can't dampen Augliera, Swihart
- Weekly Notes: Trade deadline approaches
- Cup of Coffee: Light continues to shine, Portland mounts a comeback
- Red Sox acquire two pitching prospects in Peavy trade
- Cup of Coffee: Pawtucket pushes streak to 11 games
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson strikes out 12 in win, Betts leads PawSox in route
- The Write-Up: Henry Owens