|Tim Wakefield to teach knuckleball to Doug Flutie, other former QBs on MLB Network reality show||02.07.13 at 8:03 am ET|
Former Red Sox pitcher Tim Wakefield is the star of the MLB Network’s new reality show called “The Next Knuckler.” Wakefield will attempt to teach the pitch to five former college quarterbacks, including Boston College Heisman Trophy winner Doug Flutie, and the one who demonstrates the most ability will get to pitch in a spring training game with the Diamondbacks.
Flutie, 50, still plays in an amateur baseball league in his hometown of Natick. He’ll compete against Josh Booty, who played football and LSU and had a cup of coffee in the major leagues as a third baseman with the Marlins, former USC quarterback John David Booty (Josh’s brother), former Georgia signal-caller David Greene and ex-LSU QB Ryan Perrilloux.
Red Sox catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Blue Jays knuckleballer R.A. Dickey are scheduled to make goes appearances on the program. Former Red Sox first baseman Kevin Millar will help decide the winner.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Shaw Becoming Star After Being Thrown in Spotlight by Sandoval Benching
- Ortiz, Red Sox Look Headed for 1 More Exciting Run
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza ties Drive K record in dominant outing
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero powers PawSox past IronPigs
- April Players of the Month: Andrew Benintendi and Teddy Stankiewicz
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada hits grand slam to lead Salem sweep
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Nick Longhi
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas and Maxwell lead the PawSox
- Podcast Ep. 95: One month in, start it up again
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez, Smith begin rehab assignments
- Cup of Coffee: Rijo breaks out, rain washes Salem and Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts