|Tim Wakefield to teach knuckleball to Doug Flutie, other former QBs on MLB Network reality show||02.07.13 at 8:03 am ET|
Former Red Sox pitcher Tim Wakefield is the star of the MLB Network’s new reality show called “The Next Knuckler.” Wakefield will attempt to teach the pitch to five former college quarterbacks, including Boston College Heisman Trophy winner Doug Flutie, and the one who demonstrates the most ability will get to pitch in a spring training game with the Diamondbacks.
Flutie, 50, still plays in an amateur baseball league in his hometown of Natick. He’ll compete against Josh Booty, who played football and LSU and had a cup of coffee in the major leagues as a third baseman with the Marlins, former USC quarterback John David Booty (Josh’s brother), former Georgia signal-caller David Greene and ex-LSU QB Ryan Perrilloux.
Red Sox catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Blue Jays knuckleballer R.A. Dickey are scheduled to make goes appearances on the program. Former Red Sox first baseman Kevin Millar will help decide the winner.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Help Wanted: Database Coordinator
- January Notes: Red Sox extend contract with Greenville
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Champions crowned as play concludes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Championship series underway
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Blake Swihart
- Help Wanted: Writers, Editors
- Red Sox bring back Dan Butler on minor league deal
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramos and Castillo combine for 16 hits
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Henry Owens