|Red Sox Notes: Alfredo Aceves’ agent visits, Clay Buchholz gets back on mound||02.18.13 at 3:28 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — One day after Alfredo Aceves baffled players, coaches and front office members alike with a live batting practice session in which he lobbed 15-20 pitches to the plate rather than using a full mix at close to game intensity, the pitcher’s agent, Tom O’Connell, was in Fort Myers and talked both with Sox GM Ben Cherington and Aceves. Though the visit was part of O’Connell’s previously scheduled tour of spring training visits with clients throughout Florida, the timing on the heels of Sunday’s incident added intrigue to the conversations, which seemingly underscored the idea that the Sox value Aceves as a valuable, versatile contributor, but need him to continue to operate within a team framework.
— Clay Buchholz, who suffered a mild hamstring strain last week, returned to the mound on Monday for a bullpen session what “no restrictions,” according to manager John Farrell. While there are still some limits on his overall baseball activities in the short-term, he’s now in line to throw live batting practice in two days. Read the rest of this entry »
FORT MYERS, Fla. — In 2012, the All-Star Futures Game offered an opportunity to reminisce and, perhaps, a preview of a near-future as teammates for Xander Bogaerts and Jurickson Profar. The two grew up playing in youth international competitions against each other, with Profar representing Curacao and Bogaerts playing shortstop for Aruba. Their competition dates back to Little League.
So, in 2012, the opportunity for the two of them to be teammates, even if only for a day, was a thrilling departure, and offered an opportunity to look back on a shared history that spans more than a decade.
“When I first saw him, it was in Puerto Rico when we were nine. Nobody hit home runs when we were nine. So when he hit one, it was something special,” recalled Profar at the Futures Game. “We’ve played [against each other] since we were nine years old, 10 years old, 11, and then [in 2011] when he was in the same league as I was. He has great hands, a lot of power — he just needs to keep working hard and he’s going to be great.” Read the rest of this entry »
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates