|After surviving Tommy John twice, Chris Capuano excited about ‘coming home’ to Red Sox||02.22.14 at 3:55 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — For someone who has survived two Tommy John surgeries and the disappointment of being passed over by his hometown team in high school, lefty Chris Capuano finally got to put on a Red Sox uniform Saturday and talk about the real chance he’ll be on the club to start the 2014 season.
“I just hope to be a positive part of the clubhouse,” Capuano said. “It’s already great clubhouse dynamic with the kind of professionals they have in there. These guys, the way they go about their business and they’re so focused. I just want to add to that and hopefully be a positive part.”
Capuano starred both athletically and academically at Cathedral High School in West Springfield, where he was the valedictorian. He played in high school all-star game at Fenway but that remains the only time he has ever pitched on the hallowed ground.
“I played in this Massachusetts-Connecticut all-star game at Fenway,” he recalled Saturday. “I thought I did well. I ended up getting drafted by the Pirates in the late rounds out of high school but not enough to not make me want to go to Duke and get my education. I didn’t have a lot of contact with the Red Sox out of high school.”
Capuano, 35, signed a major league deal this week for a reported $2.25 million, with incentives that could make it worth as much as $5 million. John Farrell sees Capuano as a lefty who could throw an inning out of the bullpen in long relief or face a single batter, lefty or righty.
“I think with my repertoire, four-seam, two-seam fastballs, my changeup is one of my better offspeed pitches, which has a little down and a away movement to righties,” Capuano said. “I think as a lefty that enables me to feel comfortable to pitch to righthanders as well.”
Capuano was a free agent after the Dodgers chose not to bring him back. But he left no doubt Saturday in speaking to reporters where his first choice would be.
|John Farrell notes on Day 5 of spring training: Chris Capuano provides pitching flexibility||02.21.14 at 2:42 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Chris Capuano can start making his case Saturday for a role on the Red Sox pitching staff.
“We don’t want to limit it,” Farrell said of Capuano’s versatility. “When he switched to the bullpen last year with the Dodgers there was very good performance, and that’s the one thing that attracted us to him, in addition to the experience as a starter.
“We don’t anticipate once he joins us that it would be too long before he jumps into the rotation of work here.”
Farrell added that Capuano has been throwing regular bullpen sessions in preparation for spring training, conditioning that made the 35-year-old lefty native of West Springfield, Mass. very attractive to the Red Sox. Farrell said Capuano is expected to join the team Saturday for workouts, despite the fact the team had yet (as of Farrell’s media session) to officially announcing his signing.
“By all accounts he’s traveling here and will join camp,” Farrell said after Friday’s workouts.
The team has reportedly agreed to a major league deal with the veteran for $2.25 million, pending a physical. He has spent the first nine seasons of his big league career in the National League, including the last two with the Dodgers.
“Experience of both starting and pitching out of the bullpen,” Farrell said of Capuano, who was 4-7 with a 4.26 ERA in 20 starts last season with the Dodgers. “He clearly gives us a depth starter if that need were to arise, but at the moment, all things considered, he would pitch out of the bullpen for us.”
The Red Sox had success last year stretching out Brandon Workman during the season to make several spot starts. He figures to be in the mix again for that same role should the need arise, along with righthander Allen Webster, who started seven games for the Red Sox in 2013.
|Hot Stove: RHP Zack Greinke meets with Dodgers||11.30.12 at 11:20 am ET|
Greinke, 29, was 15-5 with a 3.48 ERA last season. He played for the Brewers until July 27, when he was traded to the Angels. With the Angels, Greinke was 6-2 in 13 starts with a 3.53 ERA. Over the past two seasons, he is 31-11 with a 3.63 ERA.
Greinke’s best year by far was in 2005 with the Royals. He won the AL Cy Young and was named an All-Star. That season he had 16 wins with an amazingly low 2.16 ERA.
Brown reports that the Rangers, Nationals and Angels also have interest in Greinke. Greinke reportedly has enjoyed his time in the Los Angeles area and might want to stay in the region, but he could opt for the Dodgers.
|James Loney: ‘I know they’re always trying to build a championship team here’||08.26.12 at 2:58 pm ET|
James Loney knows full well what he’s getting into.
The 28-year-old veteran first baseman arrived in Boston Sunday as the only major league-ready player to come from the Dodgers in exchange for Adrian Gonzalez, Josh Beckett, Carl Crawford and Nick Punto. He knows what kind of year it’s been in Boston.
‘I knew a bunch of those guys that got traded,” Loney said in the Sunday press conference before going out and making his Red Sox debut at first base. “I know a bunch of guys here still but I know they’re always trying to build a championship team here. I know it didn’t work out and this year I guess there were some things going on.’
He’s heard all about playing in the intense baseball market of Boston from the outside. Now, he gets to experience it first hand.
‘I’ve heard that,” Loney said. “You hear that. I think a lot of big-market, big city teams are like that. You don’t think about it when you’re out there. You just go out and play.’ Read the rest of this entry »
|Red Sox, Dodgers appear close to blockbuster sending Adrian Gonzalez, Josh Beckett and Carl Crawford to LA for prospects||08.25.12 at 7:38 am ET|
The incentive for the Red Sox to steam forward in a sweeping roster overhaul — a potential blockbuster sending first baseman Adrian Gonzalez, right-hander Josh Beckett and outfielder Carl Crawford along with utility infielder Nick Punto to the Dodgers in exchange for first baseman James Loney and multiple prospects — is fairly evident. While a major league source said that a deal is not expected on Friday night, it does appear to be gaining momentum to the point where the two teams have exchanged medical records to review as a prelude to a potential deal, whose logic makes all the sense in the world for a Red Sox team that has fallen out of contention.
It’s no secret: In a 12-month span from Dec. 2009 to Dec. 2010, the Red Sox made a series of calculated, high-risk gambles meant to secure a championship core for the long haul, only to see their bets blow up in spectacular fashion. It started in Dec. 2009, when the team signed John Lackey to a five-year, $82.5 million deal through 2014. That was followed by a four-year, $68 million extension in April 2010 that secured the services of Josh Beckett through 2014. The following offseason, after the Sox missed the playoffs, the team traded for first baseman Adrian Gonzalez and agreed to the parameters of a seven-year, $154 million extension (on top of his $6.3 million salary in 2011) that would keep him in Boston through 2018. And, finally, the Sox signed free agent Carl Crawford to a seven-year, $142 million contract at the Dec. 2010 winter meetings, with the deal running from 2011-17.
For a time, it appeared that the Sox had set themselves up for the long haul. But when the team fell apart last September, missing the playoffs by a game — following a 2011 season in which Crawford and Lackey (who required Tommy John surgery) had performed poorly, and in which Beckett had been viewed as a central culprit in a clubhouse that fell apart, those deals started to look ominous, particularly given all that followed in 2012.
The Sox had little to no flexibility to pursue roster upgrades last offeason, at least in the absence of deals to move salary (such as the one that sent Marco Scutaro to the Rockies so that the team would have money to sign Cody Ross). And so, at a time when pitchers such as Hiroki Kuroda, Edwin Jackson and Roy Oswalt were there for the taking on appealing one-year deals, the Sox did not have the available cash reserves within their payroll to make competitive bids for them. Read the rest of this entry »
|Trade Deadline: Dodgers said to be interested in Brewers 3B Aramis Ramirez||07.23.12 at 10:10 am ET|
After three straight losses over the weekend pushed them 10½ games off the pace in the NL Central, the Brewers are likely to be sellers as the trade deadline approaches.
With rumors already circling about Zack Greinke and Francisco Rodriguez being trade bait, Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that third baseman Aramis Ramirez is entering the discussion as well.
Ramirez is said to have drawn considerable attention from the Dodgers, who would like an upgrade over Juan Uribe. Hardicourt says trading Ramirez, who is in the first of a three-year, $36 million deal, would be a surprise because the Brewers have no obvious candidate to replace him.
The 34-year-old is hitting .277 with 10 home runs and 55 RBIs and is second in the NL with 31 doubles, trailing only Joey Votto (36). Ramirez doesn’t have no-trade protection in his contract.
|Trade Deadline: Yankees reportedly sign ex-Dodger Marcus Thames||07.22.11 at 10:33 am ET|
The Yankees signed former Dodgers outfielder Marcus Thames to a minor league deal, the New York Post’s George A. King III reported Friday.
Thames was designated for assignment after 36 games with the Dodgers in which he hit just .197 with two home runs and seven RBIs. Thames enjoyed one of the best seasons of his career in 2010 with the Yankees, batting a career-best .288 with a .350 OPS, also a career best. He hit 12 home runs and drove in 33.
The 34-year-old righty hitter brings versatility to the Yankees, having played left field, right field, first base and DH in his career.
King wrote that Thames will work at the Yankees’ minor league complex in Tampa, then be assigned to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
|Trade Deadline: Red Sox interested in Dodgers’ Hiroki Kuroda, but he won’t play for East Coast team||07.17.11 at 8:15 pm ET|
FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal said in a video Saturday that the Red Sox may be looking for pitching rotation help from the Dodgers’ Hiroki Kuroda. However, after speaking with two East Coast team executives, MLB.com’s Peter Gammons wrote Sunday that Kuroda would not waive his full no-trade clause to play for an East Coast team.
A 36-year-old right-handed pitcher from Japan, Kuroda is 6-11 with a 3.13 ERA this year with the Dodgers. He has held opponent batters to a .249 average and .298 OBP.
Kuroda has played in only three games ever against the American League, going 1-2 with a .306 ERA. He has never faced an AL East team or played at an AL East park.
|Report: Sox expressed interest in Kuroda||07.15.11 at 3:18 pm ET|
According to Jon Heyman of SI.com, the Red Sox “have called on” Dodgers starting pitcher Hiroki Kuroda, suggesting that while the Sox are confident in their depth even in the face of injuries to Daisuke Matsuzaka, Jon Lester, Clay Buchholz and Josh Beckett, the team is exploring potential alternatives.
Kuroda is 6-10 with a 3.06 ERA this year in 18 starts for the Dodgers. The right-hander is in his fourth season with L.A., compiling a 34-40 record, 3.50 ERA and 6.5 strikeouts against 2.1 walks per nine innings in his career.
Kuroda is pitching for the Dodgers on a one-year, $12 million deal he signed last offseason. That deal also includes a no-trade clause, and according to FoxSports.com, the right-hander will require some sort of compensation to waive the clause.
|Trade Deadline: Dodgers could stand pat||07.07.11 at 2:15 pm ET|
With a 37-51 record and ownership of last place in the NL West, the Dodgers would appear to be the prototypical seller this trading season. But they may actually decide to keep all of their pieces in place as one MLB general manager tells FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal.
Los Angeles’ NL team is expected to keep its best players in All-Stars Matt Kemp and Clayton Kershaw as well as Andre Ethier and Chad Billingsley to make itself look more attractive to both fans and even potential new owners.
Still outside of those four, there are still potentially valuable tradechips that the Dodgers possess, but the boys in blue may even keep those. Hiroki Kuroda (6-9, 2.90 ERA) has a no-trade clause and would need some sort of compensation, whether it be a contract extension or financial bonus of some sort, to waive such a clause. The lefty starter already makes $12 million on his current one-year deal. The team could also retain the services of Jamey Carroll because of the low price other teams would pay for a guy who would only serve as a solid utilityman on their rosters.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo
- Red Sox deal Anthony Ranaudo to Rangers for Robbie Ross Jr.
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Perth heads to the playoffs
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings
- Red Sox acquire Danny Rosenbaum from Nationals for Dan Butler