|Red Sox release Lyle Overbay||03.26.13 at 11:06 am ET|
The Red Sox on Tuesday released first baseman Lyle Overbay, who had been invited to spring training on a minor league contract.
The team has yet to reveal a decision regarding Ryan Sweeney, with whom they face a deadline this week as well.
Overbay, a 12-year major league veteran, played for the Diamondbacks and Braves last season, hitting .259/.331/.397/.727 in 65 games (131 plate appearances). The 36-year-old hit .220 in 19 spring training games this year.
Sweeney, acquired from the Athletics in the 2011 trade that also brought Andrew Bailey to Boston, signed a minor league deal to remain with the Sox in January.
|Lyle Overbay has a unique perspective of what Stephen Drew is going through||03.19.13 at 2:01 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. – Lyle Overbay is trying to pay it forward, just like Aaron Hill did for him. And, in some ways, the efforts might help Stephen Drew deal with his current lot in life.
Because of a few unique experiences, Overbay can relate to what Drew is going through in regards to his concussion.
“To have somebody who has gone through it … Everybody is different, but it’s weird how it has progressed,” the Red Sox first baseman said. “You never heard about this when I broke in the league.”
Overbay not only experienced a concussion – having run into pitcher Brian Tallet in 2010 – but he was also teammates with Hill when the former Blue Jays second baseman lived through one of baseball’s most memorable bouts in the issue in 2009.
Hill suffered his concussion on May 29, 2008, and was never quite right again until the following offseason.
“I remember like it was yesterday,” Overbay of the moment Hill ran into David Eckstein. “I had a little episode a couple of years later and kind of took his advice. As a baseball player, or anybody, you want to fight to get through it and concussions are the one thing you can’t do that with. You can’t fight to break through it. Time is the issue. … I would have been trying to fight through it, too, if I didn’t take Aaron’s advice.”
“Even when [Hill] would start jogging, he would feel dizzy. There was one time in the offseason and his dog got away from him and he started jogging after him and he didn’t get dizzy. It was the same thing with me. You don’t feel normal than all of a sudden you do.”
Overbay has talked to Drew about the ups and downs of the injury, including how a reintroduction to the clubhouse environment — with louder sounds and increased activity — can trigger the symptoms. Overbay also understands that looks can be deceiving when analyzing the origin of the condition. As was the case with the first baseman, Drew stayed in the game after suffering his ailment.
He also was playing when Justin Morneau experienced his concussion in 2010, when the Minnesota first baseman collided at second base while trying to break up a double play against the Blue Jays.
“Absolutely. [Hill] even said it that he just needed a day,” said Overbay when asked if looks can be deceiving regarding incidents leading to concussions. “Look at Morneau. I saw that. I was watching and you’re thinking, ‘He’s a hockey player. He’s tough. He’ll be fine.’ You have to give it time and you can’t push through it.”
|Mike Carp: ‘To put on a Red Sox uniform is definitely going to mean a lot’||02.22.13 at 9:39 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — In the middle of his physical Friday morning at JetBlue Park, Mike Carp spoke about what it would mean to actually make the Red Sox’ 25-man roster to open the season, one year after a shoulder injury he suffered in the MLB opener in Japan.
Carp dove for a fly ball in left field and injured his right shoulder in the opener against Oakland at the Tokyo Dome.
“You have 55,000 people over in Japan. I’m not coming out of that game,” Carp said Friday morning. “It’s the first game of the season. I’ve waited my whole life to make an opening day roster.”
He spent two stints on the disabled list trying to heal it while also battling a groin injury. One year after hitting .276 with 12 homers and 46 RBIs in 79 games for the Mariners in 2011, he fell to .213 in 59 games with just five home runs.
Now, following this week’s trade that sent him to Boston for a player to be named, he is competing for a big league roster spot on the Red Sox.
“I had a lot of expectations coming into last year,” Carp said. “Had a big 2011, finally getting an opportunity to play. Just one of those tough luck plays. It’s opening night. You can’t really write a better story than getting hurt opening night I guess. I think it’s going to make mentally tough and definitely kept me hungry for this year. I’m excited to be healthy for a full season.
“[Healing the shoulder] took some time because it was a pretty significant injury but towards the end of the season, that second stint on the DL really helped. We went through the whole rehab process and have been feeling normal ever since. Nothing crazy, just had to wait for it to heal. Just banged up more than anything. No surgery or anything like that.
“I’m excited to be healthy. Going to out and perform the best I can and we’ll see what happens at the end of spring.”
Carp said he spent the last two weeks staying in shape and trying to be ready for whatever deal might come after being designated for assignment. He was traded to Boston and immediately placed on Boston’s 40-man roster since he has no options remaining.
“Just hanging out and kind of limbo and don’t want to do too much,” Carp said. “Obviously, stay in shape, doing light baseball stuff but didn’t want to go too crazy out there. Heard some rumors. To put on a Red Sox uniform is definitely going to mean a lot.”
The 26-year-old Carp is convinced that Boston is a good fit for him.
“Rebuilding, getting back at it, and winning ballclub,” Carp said. “We’re here to win. It’s not like the Mariners how you start from the bottom and try to work our way up. I’m excited to help out any way I can, play first, left, DH maybe. Get some opportunities and hopefully, take advantage of them.”
He knows he’s been brought in to compete with 36-year-old Lyle Overbay and Daniel Nava as a left-handed batting first base/outfield option.
Read the rest of this entry »
|Lyle Overbay on Mike Carp competition: ‘It’s not that big of a deal’||02.20.13 at 3:14 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — From the moment he signed a minor league contract with the Red Sox on Jan. 31, Lyle Overbay knew this was coming. The Red Sox mentioned to him then that they would likely be bringing in others to compete for the job of a left-handed hitting first baseman/left fielder to provide more roster depth.
So when he was spoken to by John Farrell and general manager Ben Cherington Wednesday, he was hardly caught off guard when told the Red Sox acquired left-handed hitting first baseman/outfielder Mike Carp from Seattle for a player to be named.
“I think that’s big; that shows you how respectful they are,” Overbay said. “Ben was the same way. Those type things are just something you are very, very welcome and thankful they’re able to do that.”
What did Farrell and Cherington tell Overbay?
“Same thing. I knew coming in that they might make a trade,” Overbay said. “It’s the same thing. If I want to compete and compete and see. It’s early. It’s not like it’s a week from opening day. It’s early. It’s not that big of a deal.”
As reporters approached his locker Wednesday after workouts, he showed a sense of humor, asking very rhetorically, ‘What do you want to talk about?’”
The 36-year-old Overbay says he embraces the competition with the 26-year-old Carp.
“You bring guys in here to win games and to give options because you never know those unknowns. I think that was their biggest thing, was playing the outfield and first base [against right-handed pitching]. I think that’s why Nava is taking ground balls at first. I knew all that coming into it. It’s not that big of a surprise. I just do what I can and see if I fit. That’s all I can do.
“It’s got to all work out. I know some of the numbers [matter]. I know John has to feel comfortable with four outfielders if he goes with me, that kind of thing. Those are little things when it comes down to it. I have to show I can perform so it’s yes and no.”
Overbay says he’s not concerned that he signed a minor league deal with the Red Sox, making his potential release relatively painless for the team. Additionally, Carp comes into camp automatically on the 40-man roster (Ryan Kalish was moved to 60-day DL to make room) while Overbay is simply on a minor league invite to big league camp with no 40-man spot guaranteed.
“I haven’t even thought about that really,” Overbay said. “I think it might. It just depends. I don’t want to sit here and say that yeah, ‘that works out for him.’ He’s got to come in here and prove it, too. I think it is [about] how it all works out and make sure everything works out. Read the rest of this entry »
|Trade Deadline: Pirates reportedly interested in Athletics’ Conor Jackson, Josh Willingham||07.18.11 at 9:39 am ET|
Just a half-game behind the Brewers, the Pirates are looking to add offense to a pitching rotation that already leads the NL Central in lowest ERA. The Pirates may try to find that offense in Oakland, ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick tweeted Sunday. Specifically, they’ve asked about first baseman Conor Jackson and left fielder Josh Willingham.
Jackson is batting .249 with just 3 home runs and 27 RBIs, but the Pirates’ Lyle Overbay, their only healthy first baseman, is only performing slightly better, batting .240 with seven home runs and 35 RBIs. Jackson is tied for seventh among AL first basemen with 23 walks, with a .323 OBP that is better than Overbay’s.
Willingham would provide the Pirates with some power, batting .244 with 12 home runs, and 46 RBIs. He ranks second among AL left fielders in home runs with a minimum of 250 plate appearances, is third in RBIs and third in slugging at .434.
Left field is another position where the Pirates only have one healthy player: Alex Presley. While Presley is an on-base machine, batting .343 with a .400 OBP in 16 games, he’s hit just one home run this season and driven in nine.
|Closing Time: Blue Jays 16, Red Sox 2||08.20.10 at 10:17 pm ET|
Well, that might be finally it for the 2010 Red Sox.
So many times this season, observers have written the team off when they suffered injury after debilitating injury and had bullpen meltdowns that left everyone scratching their heads.
But Friday, like when the outcome of a court case becomes obvious because of overwhelming evidence, Friday night’s 16-2 debacle at the hands of the Blue Jays is exhibit A as to why these Red Sox are pretty much toast as far as a playoff contender.
True, there’s five weeks left and stranger things have happened but with Dustin Pedroia going back on the disabled list before Friday’s nightmare with the Blue Jays with a foot that he admits is still hurting him badly, there seems to be little energy left to give.
And then there’s the troubling case of Jon Lester. He came out Friday and had the worst outing of his career, allowing eight hits and a career-worst nine runs and couldn’t get an out in the third before being yanked for Scott Atchison. He allowed two homers to Lyle Overbay, walked three and struck out just one.
[Click here to listen to Jon Lester talk about his rough night.]
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE RED SOX:
Jon Lester continues to look alarmingly hittable. Never before had the left-hander looked so ordinary. The only other start that compares to Friday came on May 9, 2009 against Tampa Bay when the Rays beat Lester and the Red Sox, 14-5. That night he allowed 10 hits and eight runs. But he recovered the rest of the season to post a 15-8 record with a 3.41 ERA. After 14 1/3 innings of shutout pitching against the Yankees and Rangers, two great-hitting teams, Lester seemed to be back on track since losing his first four starts after the All-Star break.
But when Fred Lewis walked and Yunel Escobar reached on a bunt single, even the outs were loud, that is when Lester could record them.
And maybe worst of all, Lester couldn’t stabilize himself after giving up five in the first. Normally, Lester is capable of settling down and giving the team innings. He couldn’t even do that Friday as he lasted just 51 pitches before the Red Sox bullpen was called upon.
Lyle Overbay. Goes without saying that if an opponent has two home 3-run homers and drives in a career-high seven, you’re probably into the bullpen earlier than you want.
John McDonald and John Buck: McDonald, the pride of Providence College, went 3-for-5 with with a 3-run homer off Michael Bowden in the sixth. Buck picked the right night to come off the disabled list. He, like Overbay, had four hits and scored four times.
The Red Sox didn’t show Dustin Pedroia much of a reason to hurry back. It was announced before the game that the gritty second baseman was going back on the DL because his broken left foot hadn’t healed completely and was hurting too much.
WHAT WENT RIGHT FOR THE RED SOX:
The kids are alright. Starting with Yamaico Navarro, a lot of back-ups and call-ups got their chance to give the vets a night off and showed they cared. Navarro, taking Pedroia’s roster spot, borrowed a page from Daniel Nava, swinging at the first pitch he saw in the majors. While it wasn’t a grand slam or even a homer, it was a sharp single to left, joining Nava and Ryan Kalish as Red Sox rookies to produce a hit in their first MLB at-bats this season.
Terry Francona got one wish. The Red Sox manager said before the game he’d like to get a look at Jed Lowrie at first base to see if he might be able to provide some versatility to a roster that could use some with Pedroia joining Kevin Youkilis and Jacoby Ellsbury on the disabled list. Beginning with the fifth inning, Lowrie moved to first base and handled every chance smoothly.
- Red Sox sign 1st-round pick Trey Ball (UPDATED)
- Cup of Coffee: Shaw, Haeger help Sea Dogs earn split
- Players of the Week, June 10-16: Keury De La Cruz and Anthony Ranaudo
- Red Sox reportedly sign 12th-rounder Jake Drehoff
- Wendelken added to South Atlantic League All-Stars
- Red Sox reportedly sign Bryan Hudson, Jantzen Witte
- Cup of Coffee: Spinners open season with 15-strikeout gem
- SoxProspects Video of the Week: A-Ball hitters
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #39.1: Mellen's Excellent Adventure
- 2013 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!