|Shane Victorino discusses Manti Te’o situation, playing in World Baseball Classic||01.18.13 at 9:19 am ET|
Speaking on WEEI’s Hot Stove Show on Thursday night, Red Sox outfielder Shane Victorino offered some brief thoughts on the recent controversy surrounding Notre Dame linebacker (and fellow Hawaiian) Manti Te’o.
‘To be honest with you, I’m not going to have any comment on that situation. It’s an unfortunate situation. The truth is still to be told. ‘¦ I’m going to touch upon that when things are done. People are going to speculate,’ Victorino said. ‘For me, ultimately, people have to understand, and I look at it this way, it’s about the game of football. He’s still a great football player. Who knows the truth? I don’t know the truth. Again, my comment is I really have nothing to say about it until we figure it out and someone comes forward and really says what really happened.’
Victorino — who has formed a relationship with Te’o and attended the national championship game to watch the Notre Dame star — said he hasn’t spoken with Te’o since the story broke earlier this week regarding what is perceived to be a hoax involving what was thought to be the 21-year-old’s girlfriend.
Prior to commenting on Thursday night’s show, the only other mention Victorino had regarding the situation came via a tweet Wednesday:
I am beyond words and speechless about this situation…waiting to find out more! #Sad
‘ Shane Victorino (@ShaneVictorino) January 16, 2013
Victorino was upbeat when talking about his participation in the World Baseball Classic. The outfielder will be making his second straight appearance for Team USA, having been part of the 2009 club.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Episode 113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies
- Fort Report: Benintendi to bat third in Boston?
- Fort Report: Owens struggles, Castillo seeks redemption
- Support SoxProspects in 2017