|Shane Victorino discusses Manti Te’o situation, playing in World Baseball Classic||01.18.13 at 9:19 am ET|
Speaking on WEEI’s Hot Stove Show on Thursday night, Red Sox outfielder Shane Victorino offered some brief thoughts on the recent controversy surrounding Notre Dame linebacker (and fellow Hawaiian) Manti Te’o.
‘To be honest with you, I’m not going to have any comment on that situation. It’s an unfortunate situation. The truth is still to be told. ‘¦ I’m going to touch upon that when things are done. People are going to speculate,’ Victorino said. ‘For me, ultimately, people have to understand, and I look at it this way, it’s about the game of football. He’s still a great football player. Who knows the truth? I don’t know the truth. Again, my comment is I really have nothing to say about it until we figure it out and someone comes forward and really says what really happened.’
Victorino — who has formed a relationship with Te’o and attended the national championship game to watch the Notre Dame star — said he hasn’t spoken with Te’o since the story broke earlier this week regarding what is perceived to be a hoax involving what was thought to be the 21-year-old’s girlfriend.
Prior to commenting on Thursday night’s show, the only other mention Victorino had regarding the situation came via a tweet Wednesday:
I am beyond words and speechless about this situation…waiting to find out more! #Sad
‘ Shane Victorino (@ShaneVictorino) January 16, 2013
Victorino was upbeat when talking about his participation in the World Baseball Classic. The outfielder will be making his second straight appearance for Team USA, having been part of the 2009 club.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated