|Shane Victorino discusses Manti Te’o situation, playing in World Baseball Classic||01.18.13 at 9:19 am ET|
Speaking on WEEI’s Hot Stove Show on Thursday night, Red Sox outfielder Shane Victorino offered some brief thoughts on the recent controversy surrounding Notre Dame linebacker (and fellow Hawaiian) Manti Te’o.
‘To be honest with you, I’m not going to have any comment on that situation. It’s an unfortunate situation. The truth is still to be told. ‘¦ I’m going to touch upon that when things are done. People are going to speculate,’ Victorino said. ‘For me, ultimately, people have to understand, and I look at it this way, it’s about the game of football. He’s still a great football player. Who knows the truth? I don’t know the truth. Again, my comment is I really have nothing to say about it until we figure it out and someone comes forward and really says what really happened.’
Victorino — who has formed a relationship with Te’o and attended the national championship game to watch the Notre Dame star — said he hasn’t spoken with Te’o since the story broke earlier this week regarding what is perceived to be a hoax involving what was thought to be the 21-year-old’s girlfriend.
Prior to commenting on Thursday night’s show, the only other mention Victorino had regarding the situation came via a tweet Wednesday:
I am beyond words and speechless about this situation…waiting to find out more! #Sad
‘ Shane Victorino (@ShaneVictorino) January 16, 2013
Victorino was upbeat when talking about his participation in the World Baseball Classic. The outfielder will be making his second straight appearance for Team USA, having been part of the 2009 club.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez continues to swing hot bat
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello