|Shane Victorino discusses Manti Te’o situation, playing in World Baseball Classic||01.18.13 at 9:19 am ET|
Speaking on WEEI’s Hot Stove Show on Thursday night, Red Sox outfielder Shane Victorino offered some brief thoughts on the recent controversy surrounding Notre Dame linebacker (and fellow Hawaiian) Manti Te’o.
‘To be honest with you, I’m not going to have any comment on that situation. It’s an unfortunate situation. The truth is still to be told. ‘¦ I’m going to touch upon that when things are done. People are going to speculate,’ Victorino said. ‘For me, ultimately, people have to understand, and I look at it this way, it’s about the game of football. He’s still a great football player. Who knows the truth? I don’t know the truth. Again, my comment is I really have nothing to say about it until we figure it out and someone comes forward and really says what really happened.’
Victorino — who has formed a relationship with Te’o and attended the national championship game to watch the Notre Dame star — said he hasn’t spoken with Te’o since the story broke earlier this week regarding what is perceived to be a hoax involving what was thought to be the 21-year-old’s girlfriend.
Prior to commenting on Thursday night’s show, the only other mention Victorino had regarding the situation came via a tweet Wednesday:
I am beyond words and speechless about this situation…waiting to find out more! #Sad
‘ Shane Victorino (@ShaneVictorino) January 16, 2013
Victorino was upbeat when talking about his participation in the World Baseball Classic. The outfielder will be making his second straight appearance for Team USA, having been part of the 2009 club.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- How Concerned Should Red Sox Be over Price's Roller-Coaster 2016?
- Latest Updates on Chris Young's Hamstring Injury
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Reports: Red Sox receive 1-year IFA ban, 5 players made free agents
- Scouting Scratch: Aaron Wilkerson
- Cup of Coffee: Monge carries Salem, Butler lifts Pawtucket
- Jerez and Romanski selected to Eastern League All-Star Game
- Cup of Coffee: Castillo powers PawSox
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Team
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game