|Source: Red Sox haven’t re-engaged in talks with Stephen Drew at any point this season||04.28.14 at 2:14 pm ET|
There would have appeared to be some windows throughout April where some interest in Drew might seem plausible, with third baseman Will Middlebrooks missing three weeks due to a Grade 1 calf strain and Xander Bogaerts experiencing some early-season defensive missteps (along with a few calf issues of his own).
Following the the Middlebrooks injury, the Red Sox did sign Ryan Roberts (who has since been designated for assignment, cleared waivers and is playing with Triple-A Pawtucket) to fill in at third base.
But at no time throughout the ups and down of April, according to the source, did the Red Sox deviate from their long-term plan of committing to a starting left side of the infield consisting of Bogaerts and Middlebrooks.
The Red Sox remain the one team who would not have to surrender a draft pick in order to sign Drew, who also reportedly isn’t drawing significant interest from the Mets, either. It has been believed that New York might be the best fit for Drew, with Terry Collins’ team leaning on Ruben Tejada at shortstop. Thus far this season, Tejada is hitting just .200 with a .531 OPS.
It should be noted that teams would not have to surrender a draft pick if they sign free agents linked to qualifying offers (like Drew and Kendrys Morales) if they wait until after the June amateur draft, which stretches from June 5- 7.
|Former Red Sox reliever Scott Atchison signs with Mets||01.29.13 at 11:28 am ET|
The New York Mets announced that they’ve agreed on a minor league deal with the right-hander that includes an invitation to big league spring training. While Atchison, 36, was an outstanding performer for the Red Sox in 2012, forging a 1.58 ERA in 51 1/3 innings (the fourth-best ERA among pitchers with at least 50 innings pitched last year) while striking out 6.3 batters per nine innings and walking just 1.6 per nine, an ulnar collateral ligament strain that sidelined him for two months in the second half dampened his free agent market.
Atchison was told by Dr. James Andrews that he could pitch again with a course of rest and rehab, rather than surgery. He did, in fact, end up pitching in five games at the end of the season, logging 5 1/3 scoreless innings while striking out two and walking none.
The reliever told MLB.com on Monday that the Red Sox — after declining to tender him a contract in December, thus making him a free agent — had offered him only a minor league deal. Given that the team added right-handers Joel Hanrahan and Koji Uehara to an already deep bullpen mix, Atchison felt that he was better served to sign a minor league deal with a different club that presented a greater opportunity to make the Opening Day roster. Read the rest of this entry »
|Trade Deadline: Red Sox out on Carlos Beltran?||07.24.11 at 9:18 am ET|
Beltran is owed roughly $6 million for the rest of the season, the last of his seven-year, $119 million deal. The right fielder is having his best season since 2006, ranking among the National League’s top 1o in doubles, RBI, extra-base hits, on-base percentage, runs created and walks.
|Trade Deadline: Giants’ pursuit of Carlos Beltran slowing down?||07.21.11 at 12:35 pm ET|
According to a report from Andy Martino of the New York Daily News, the Giants have a hit a sang in their pursuit of Carlos Beltran. The Giants, according to Martino, are now willing to assume most of the $6 million owed to Beltran for the rest of the season but will not give up a top prospect in exchange for the outfielder. The Mets are willing to pay the remainder of Beltran’s salary but want an elite prospect in return.
Beltran leads the National League with 30 doubles and 47 extra-base hits. He also ranks in the top 10 in walks, OBP, RBI and OPS.
|Trade Deadline: Carlos Beltran reportedly gets a list of potential trade destinations, including Philadelphia||07.20.11 at 1:52 pm ET|
Philadelphia’s starting rotation has been terrific this season, but the team’s offense has struggled to keep up, ranking 14th in runs and 20th in batting average. The switch-hitting Beltran ranks ninth in the National League with 59 RBIs and is hitting .287 entering Wednesday.
The Giants and Red Sox have shown interest in Beltran as well, and Yahoo! reports that the Mets slugger would prefer to stay close to his New York home, making Boston a more likely destination than San Francisco.
|Trade Deadline: Yankees not interested in Carlos Beltran||07.13.11 at 2:48 pm ET|
According to ESPN’s Buster Olney, the Yankees will not pursue Carlos Beltran before the July 31 trade deadline. The Mets outfielder has said he’d waive his no-trade clause to a play for a contender, and the Giants have emerged as a potential suitor.
The Yankees currently have Nick Swisher in right field, who’s hitting .249 with 10 home runs and 49 RBI.
Olney also reports the Tigers could be in the hunt for Beltran, because of their willingness to absorb big money contracts.
|Trade Deadline: Mets willing to trade K-Rod, Yankees ‘marginally interested’||07.05.11 at 1:23 pm ET|
According to Bob Klapisch of Fox Sports, the Mets are open to dealing closer Francisco Rodriguez, even if it means shipping him to their crosstown rival. Rodriguez’ contract has a no-trade clause, but he said he would wave it for a trade to “good teams” like the Yankees and Rays. The Yankees could use another reliever, but their set up role could be filled when Rafael Soriano makes his return from the disabled list after the All-Star break.
Rodriguez has expressed a desire to stay with the Mets. He leads the team with 21 saves and has a 3.32 ERA.
|What Zack Greinke thinks about pitching in New York||10.26.10 at 1:19 pm ET|
According to several reports, the Kansas City Royals will entertain pitches for 2009 Cy Young winner Zack Greinke. It is expected that it would take an enormous prospect package to acquire the Royals ace, who is young (he just turned 27 last week), affordable (he is under contract in 2011 and 2012 for $13.5 million, relatively short money for a pitcher of his talents) and armed with stuff that is comparable to just about any pitcher in baseball.
Greinke, one year removed from his dazzling Cy Young campaign, struggled in 2010. He was 10-14 with a 4.17 ERA, more than two runs higher than his 2009 mark. Even so, many observers thought that the right-hander might have been disinterested while pitching for a Royals club that was once again a last place club. Greinke himself suggested as much towards the end of the year, telling MLB.com that he had indeed struggled with motivation, and that he would consider changing his medication for a social anxiety disorder in order to help deal with the issue.
With many teams feeling that Greinke’s 2010 performance was something of an aberration, his appeal this offseason will be tremendous. His talent makes him a lower-cost alternative to Cliff Lee, with few other pitchers able to match his stature.
But, a question looms over where Greinke might be willing to pitch. The topic is somewhat delicate, given the social anxiety disorder that had him on the brink of quitting the game in 2006, and had Royals officials fearing more for his health and well-being than his pitching future. If, for instance, the Yankees prove unable to land Lee in free agency, Greinke would appear the only top-of-the-rotation alternative who would be available this winter.
But the question exists as to whether Greinke would be a fit for a team in New York with a press corps and fan base several times the size of that to which the right-hander has become accustomed in Kansas City. Indeed, Greinke himself suggested in 2009 that part of the reason he signed a four-year, $38 million deal with the Royals was his comfort with the environment. And while he said that he has progressed sufficiently in his treatment that he could imagine pitching somewhere else, he admitted that he found it hard to imagine pitching in New York.
‘[The environment] had a lot to do with [signing the extension], for sure,’ Greinke said at the 2009 All-Star Game. ‘Now, maybe New York would bother me, but I don’t think anywhere else would bother me anymore. Even though I’m in Kansas City, I’ve gotten used to it a lot more. New York, I still might have trouble in New York. I probably would. But I think almost everyone does.’
Greinke, FoxSports.com reported earlier this offseason, will have the right to veto trades to 15 teams in 2011. This past season, when he had the right to veto deals to 20 clubs, the report stated, both the Yankees and Red Sox were on the list of teams to whom he had the right to veto a deal. And while that is sometimes merely a negotiating ploy to extract more money from potentially interested clubs, in Greinke’s case, the issue could be more delicate than that.
“I can’t believe [the Yankees would] ever trade for Greinke and try to have him pitch in New York. I think he’s better off pitching in Greenland.”
|Source: Ramirez to Mets ‘probably not going to happen’||07.26.10 at 10:03 pm ET|
A major league source confirmed a report by Ken Rosenthal of FoxSports.com that the Red Sox and Mets discussed a potential deal that would have sent Sox reliever Ramon Ramirez to New York. One of several possibilities discussed, the source said, included sending catcher Rod Barajas (who landed on the disabled list on Monday with a mild left oblique strain) to Boston.
The source said that the two sides had discussed different scenarios (some including Barajas, some not) in a potential swap, but indicated that a deal sending Ramirez to the Mets was ‘probably not going to happen at this point.’
The talks, which fizzled late last week, were driven chiefly by the Mets’ interest in Ramirez, who is 0-3 with a 4.69 ERA in 42 appearances for the Sox this year, but whose stuff has some clubs believing that he could become more effective with a change of scenery.
Barajas is hitting .228 with a .266 OBP, .419 slugging mark, .685 OPS and 12 homers in 73 games this year.
|What’s New with the Red Sox: Thursday||03.12.10 at 9:11 am ET|
Sometimes fancy, sometimes facts.
It was a day when the Red Sox and Mets got to compare shiny new baubles in Port St. Lucie. Jason Bay, who signed a four-year, $66 million deal with New York that included a fifth-year vesting option this offseason, shared pleasantries with his old teammates while donning his new uniform. John Lackey, the man whose five-year, $82.5 million deal with the Sox effectively ended Bay’s career in Boston, was on the mound for his new club against the Mets, a team that considered signing him before turning to Bay.
But while Bay largely declined to delve back into the details of the negotiations that led to his departure from the Sox, he did endorse his former team’s move to acquire the Angels ace.
“It’s genius,” he said of the addition of Lackey.
For more on the crossing paths of Bay and Lackey, click here.
— Bay also expressed complete comfort in his new surroundings. The outfielder said that, more than any time in his career, he has a sense of security about his future thanks to a deal that includes a no-trade clause. He also described how seamlessly he’s been able to mix into the Mets clubhouse as part of the reason for that sentiment.
— According to a major league source, the Mets considered signing Bay for four years (with a vesting option) to carry less medical risk than a five-year deal for Lackey. The Sox, of course, thought otherwise, with concerns about Bay’s knees having unraveled a four-year, $60 million deal to which the two sides agreed in principle last July. The Mets also felt that concerns about Bay’s defense were exaggerated.
— In the exhibition game itself, Bay went 0-for-2, and is now hitting .143 this spring. He was booed by the contingent of Red Sox fans on Florida’s Atlantic Coast, a treatment that seemed to amuse Bay. New teammate David Wright seemed to take umbrage at the response of Boston fans to their former outfielder.
‘For everything you brought to that city, they should cheer for you,’ Wright told Bay.
For more, click here.
— Lackey had an opportunity to sneak in his work before the weather turned sour, with storms prompting a rain delay. The right-hander tossed three scoreless innings in which he pronounced his two-seam fastball to be working well, and he also pronounced his enjoyment of the opportunity to work for the first time with Victor Martinez behind the plate. For more, click here.
— While Lackey enjoyed his first pairing with Martinez, another Red Sox battery proved diabolical. On Wednesday, Daniel Bard worked with Luis Exposito, the Double-A catcher who also worked with the right-hander in Greenville at the start of the 2008 season. Bard’s fastball exploded in the catcher’s mitt, with the pop of his pitches resembling a sonic boom. “That,” said Bard, “was awesome.”
— With poor weather in the forecast for the contest against the Cardinals in Jupiter on Friday, manager Terry Francona told Jason Varitek, Mike Lowell and Adrian Beltre not to make the cross-state journey. Varitek is still waiting to get into his first Grapefruit League action of the spring after spending time away from the club to tend to his sick father. Lowell is likely to play his first spring game on Monday.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball stymies Mudcats, Brentz leads Pawtucket past Rochester
- Swihart learning to catch the knuckler in Pawtucket
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 7: Low Minors Pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Brentz walks off for PawSox home opener
- Cup of Coffee: Jackie Bradley Jr. continues hot start, Pawtucket falls in doubleheader
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 6: Mid-Minors Pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Margot, Longhi, and Cecchini provide the power
- Podcast Ep. 73: Scout Talk and Season's Start
- Cup of Coffee: Abbreviated 2015 debuts for Kopech, Barnes
- Weekly Notes: Let the games begin