|Hot Stove: Royals manager Ned Yost on Wil Myers rumors and KC’s pursuit of a starter||12.03.12 at 5:45 pm ET|
Royals manager Ned Yost suggested that outfielder Wil Myers — Baseball America’s Minor League Player of the Year in 2012 after hitting 37 homers in Double-A and Triple-A as a 21-year-old — reminds him of a young Dale Murphy, the former Braves center fielder and two-time NL MVP. He suggested that like Murphy, Myers has 30-plus homer potential. Kansas City plans to let him compete for an everyday job in spring training.
That said, in the aftermath of reports (including from WEEI.com’s Rob Bradford) last week that had the Royals considering trade proposals that would send Myers elsewhere for a front-of-the-rotation starter such as Red Sox left-hander Jon Lester or Tampa Bay’s James Shields, Yost also acknowledged that the Royals are open to the possibility of trading top prospects for a pitcher who can anchor their starting staff.
“Absolutely,” Yost said of the possibility of trading a top prospect for a starter. “But I can give you like nine more scenarios. … We’re looking at all of our options. We feel like we’re really close to being able to compete, and we’re looking at every option that we can. [Royals GM Dayton Moore has] worked really hard over the last five years to fill our minor league system with tremendous prospects that we can use for situations like this. We’re looking at a bunch of different options. One may work out; none may work out. We’re just going to do what’s best for our organization.
“Starting pitching, can’t have enough of it,” he added. “I’d like to have as much as I can get. But at what cost? That’s important to me.”
For now, Yost said, he felt no need to talk to Myers about his spot in the rumor mill.
“We’re talking about stuff, just like all organizations are, we’ve been locked up in our room, going over 90 different scenarios with 40 different players,” said Yost. “They’re just rumors right now.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo
- Red Sox deal Anthony Ranaudo to Rangers for Robbie Ross Jr.
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Perth heads to the playoffs
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings
- Red Sox acquire Danny Rosenbaum from Nationals for Dan Butler