|Source: Phillies currently not looking to deal Cole Hamels||07.18.14 at 1:16 am ET|
According a major league source, the Phillies are currently showing no inclination to trade Cole Hamels.
Hamels has been the subject of rumors involving the Red Sox recently, with the Boston Globe suggesting the Red Sox might be viewing the lefty as a top-of-the-rotation replacement for Jon Lester. The 30 year old will be owed $90 million over the next four years, with a team option for 2019 worth $20 million.
It is believed that while the Red Sox had checked in on Hamels availability earlier in the season, there hasn’t been any recent discussions between the Sox and Phillies regarding the starter.
Hamels has made 16 starts this season, going 3-5 with a 2.93 ERA. He has made at least 31 starts in each of his last six seasons, totaling a 3.30 ERA during that span.
The Phillies are currently 10 games out of first-place in the National League East and the wild card race, heading into the second half at 42-53.
|Jonathan Papelbon on Hot Stove Show: ‘Loved’ watching Red Sox win World Series||01.02.14 at 10:18 pm ET|
Former Red Sox and current Phillies closer Jonathan Papelbon, in a Thursday interview on WEEI’s Hot Stove show (listen to the audio here) with Rob Bradford and guest co-host John McDonald — who played with Papelbon in Philadelphia in 2013 before getting traded to the Red Sox in August — said that he followed his former team’s postseason run enthusiastically. He suggested that he was not surprised by his team’s ultimate success, both on the basis of the leadership provided by Dustin Pedroia and David Ortiz as well as the dominance of Koji Uehara.
“I watched every game of the World Series, every inning, every pitch. I loved it, man. I was calling pitches when Koji was in there — you know how you do when you’re watching games, ‘He’s going to go to this,’ or ‘He’s going to go to that.’ I tell you what, I was pulling for them,” Papelbon said. “I knew, I don’t want to say this now, but I knew they were going to win. I knew what that clubhouse was like. I knew what was probably going on before the games, how it was, I knew what kind of leadership they had over there with David and Dustin. I just knew, if I was a betting man, I would have bet on them. But I’m not a betting man. I was happy for them. Dustin’s one of my best friends in the game. I couldn’t have been happier.”
Papelbon now is connected in both Red Sox and baseball history with Uehara, as both pitchers have recorded the final out of the World Series for the Red Sox, with Papelbon and Uehara having accomplished the feat six years apart as the culmination of dominant postseasons. Papelbon described his colleague as having been a pivotal force in October. Read the rest of this entry »
|Closing Time: Red Sox done in by long ball in loss to Phillies||05.29.13 at 10:17 pm ET|
Small ball helped the Phillies top the Red Sox Tuesday night at Fenway Park. Wednesday night though, the Red Sox fell victim to the long ball as the team’s pitching surrendered four solo home runs in a 4-3 loss at Citizens Bank Park.
The four solo homers gave the Phillies just enough cushion to withstand a ninth-inning Sox rally against former Boston closer Jonathan Papelbon. The Philadelphia closer entered with a 4-2 advantage, but a one-out walk by Stephen Drew, two-out single by Jonny Gomes and two-out double by Jacoby Ellsbury trimmed the lead to 4-3 with the tying and go-ahead runs both in scoring position. However, Papelbon induced a first-pitch groundout from Daniel Nava to close the door.
Kyle Kendrick (5-3, 3.27 ERA) followed up Cliff Lee‘s dominant performance over the Red Sox with a strong one of his own, only allowing two runs and four hits while striking out three and walking three through six innings pitched.
With the loss, the Red Sox will look to split the four-game, two-city series with the Phillies Thursday night with Franklin Morales making his first start of the season.
Here is a look at what went right and what went wrong for the Red Sox in the loss.
WHAT WENT WRONG FOR THE RED SOX
– For the fourth time in his career and the first time since 2005, when he was still with the Angels, Lackey permitted three (or more) homers in a game. Indeed, the three homers matched a career high on a night where he was otherwise sharp.
– Ryan Howard got a second chance in the second inning when Mike Carp got a bad jump on a foul ball and watched it drop in front of the stands. The Phillies slugger certainly took advantage of it, as he pounded the next pitch over the wall in left field for his seventh home run of the season. Read the rest of this entry »
|Source: Red Sox on Jonathan Papelbon’s no-trade list; Closer open to return to Boston||05.28.13 at 5:27 am ET|
The fact Papelbon has included the Red Sox on his eight-team list shouldn’t come as a surprise considering most players pick big market clubs when identifying which teams they would need to give permission to be traded to. The reasoning often times is due to the notion that if they were dealt o one of those teams, the player could use the potential deal as leverage to enhance their current deal.
While Papelbon wouldn’t comment on his no-trade clause, the Philadelphia closer wouldn’t rule out one day pitching in Boston again. (Although it should be noted, he remains currently perfectly content with the Phillies.)
‘Yeah, I could see myself in Boston,’ he told WEEI.com. ‘I could see myself pitching in New York. You know me. I’ve always been the kind of guy who ‘¦ I don’t really just settle, or accept things. Whatever happens in my future is going to happen. I’m not blind to that fact.’
After the 2011 season, Papelbon signed a four-year, $50 million deal with the Phillies (with a $13 option for ‘16 that vests with 55 games finished in ‘15, or 100 games finished in ‘14-15).
In the last two seasons, Papelbon is fifth in the majors in save percentage (92.2 percent), saving 47 of his 51 opportunities. This season he is 9-for-9, having gone 17 2/3 innings without giving up a run.
‘Hopefully I’ll be received well, but I will also accept the fact that I might not,’ Papelbon said prior to Monday night’s game. ‘But hopefully the fans understand that what I did here was come here and help win. That’s the only thing I really wanted to do here and hopefully they’ll understand when I was here that’s all I really wanted to do was help the ballclub win. And we won, and hopefully they’ll recognize that. If they don’t, I understand and I get it and I’ll welcome them with open arms.’
|Curt Schilling on D&C: Hall of Fame shutout ‘one of the prices’ all players paid for failure to address steroids||01.10.13 at 10:16 am ET|
Retired Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling, in an interview on Dennis & Callahan on Thursday morning, said that the collective decision by Hall of Fame voters to not elect a single player to Cooperstown this year was a clear consequence of the failure by players in the era in which he played to police the use of performance-enhancing drugs in the game. (To listen to the complete interview, click here.)
“I think, with a few exceptions, nobody knows [who used performance-enhancing drugs], so the whole lot of us are lumped in together. Nobody knows,” said Schilling. “We didn’t do anything about it. At the end of the day, we didn’t do anything about it. We knew about it. I think we all had an idea, a really strong suspicion, but we didn’t do anything about it. And we sat by, and we turned a blind eye, and I think this is one of the prices that we ended up paying.”
Asked what he would have done differently if he could have had the opportunity to revisit the era when steroid use was rampant, Schilling did not hesitate.
“I think I would have reacted to the first time [former pitcher and leading Players' Association member] Rick Helling stood up in a player’s union meeting and said what are we going to do about testing? And I think there were a lot of players who wanted to react,” said Schilling. “But I think it was one of those things, like everything else that comes from being in a game mentality, you’re afraid to go against the stream. And I think that’s one of the last times in my life that I didn’t.”
Schilling said that, if he were entrusted with a vote, he wouldn’t vote for players who cheated by using performance-enhancing drugs. At the same time, he acknowledged that, from the vantage point of history, it’s problematic that players such as Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens (as well as Pete Rose, who is banned from baseball — and hence, from Hall of Fame consideration — after gambling on the sport) do not have places in Cooperstown. Read the rest of this entry »
|Trade Deadline: Phillies continue to sell, deal Hunter Pence to Giants||07.31.12 at 2:50 pm ET|
Hunter Pence was traded to the Giants on Tuesday, becoming the second Phillies outfielder to be dealt to the NL West on the same day. Philadelphia had already sent Shane Victorino to the Dodgers before Tuesday’s non-waiver trade deadline.
Pence is batting .271 with 17 home runs with the Phillies this season, a number that would lead the power-starved Giants. The 29-year-old two-time All-Star was acquired by the Phillies at the trade deadline last season from the Astros.
The Giants dealt outfielder Nate Schierholtz, minor league catcher Tommy Joseph and minor league pitcher Seth Rosin in exchange for Pence.
Schierholtz, who is batting .257 with five home runs this season, has spent all six years in the majors with the Giants.
With Carlos Ruiz turning 34 this offseason, Joseph could be the catcher of the future for the Phillies. The 21-year-old is batting .260 with eight home runs in 80 games this season with Double-A Richmond. The Giants selected Joseph in the second round of the 2009 draft.
Rosin, 23, is 2-1 with a 4.31 ERA in 34 games with High-A San Jose this season. The former fourth-round pick made has made five starts in those 34 appearances.
The Giants, who are tied with the Dodgers atop the NL West, are using the acquisition of Pence to keep pace with a very active Los Angeles front office at the trade deadline.
Victorino, a two-time All-Star center fielder, is batting .261 with nine home runs, 40 RBIs and 24 steals this season for the last-place Phillies. The 31-year-old has been a big part of Philadelphia’s five consecutive NL East titles and the 2008 World Series title.
He will now join the Dodgers, who are trying to edge out the first-place spot in the NL West over the Giants and Diamondbacks. Los Angeles’ outfield also includes Andre Ethier and Matt Kemp, who both also are two-time All-Stars.
Martin, the prospect sent to Philadelphia in the deal, was the team’s 2008 first-round pick (15th overall). The right-hander is 8-6 with a 3.58 ERA in 20 starts with Double-A Chattanooga this season. Lindblom has been a solid relief option for the Dodgers this season, going 2-2 with a 3.02 ERA in 48 relief appearances this season.
Under baseball’s new labor contract, the Dodgers will not receive a compensatory draft selection should Victorino decide to sign somewhere else this offseason.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Help Wanted: Writers
- Top 40 in Review: Heath Hembree and Steven Wright
- Top 40 Season in Review: Javier Guerra and Henry Ramos
- Top 40 in Review: Simon Mercedes and Carlos Asuaje
- Top 40 Season in Review: Anderson Espinoza and Alex Hassan
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rivero, Castillo make early impressions
- Top 40 Season in Review: Noe Ramirez and Luis Diaz
- Top 40 Season in Review: Bryce Brentz and Christopher Acosta
- Top 40 Season in Review: Justin Haley and Jake Cosart
- Top 40 Season in Review: Drake Britton and Dalier Hinojosa