|Curt Schilling set to sell World Series bloody sock||01.18.13 at 8:29 am ET|
Schilling’s Rhode Island-based video game company, 38 Studios, went into bankruptcy last year. Schilling had personally guaranteed loans to the company and listed the sock, which had been on loan to the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum, as bank collateral.
The sock will go on auction next month, with online bidding beginning around Feb. 4 and a live auction taking place on Feb. 23, according to Chris Ivy, the director of sports for Texas-based Heritage Auctions. Ivy said he expects the sock to go for at least $100,000.
Schilling’s other famous bloody sock, the one he wore during the 2004 ALCS against the Yankees, reportedly was discarded in the trash after the game.
Schilling told WEEI in October that selling the sock could be a part of “having to pay for your mistakes” and said selling his World Series rings was also a possibility.
‘I’m obligated to try and make amends and, unfortunately, this is one of the byproducts of that,’ he said.
|Trade Deadline: Jason Isringhausen latest Met getting looks||07.21.11 at 5:54 pm ET|
Reliever Jason Isringhausen joins Carlos Beltran, Jose Reyes and even R.A. Dickey as Mets who have been rumored to be potentially on the trading market as July 31 fast approaches. FoxSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi tweeted that the Reds and Diamondbacks have expressed some desire in trading for the right-hander while the Cardinals also seem interested in bringing him back to St. Louis, where he played from 2002-08.
However, there are some conflicting reports on just how available Isringhausen is on the trade market. Sports Illustrated baseball writer Jon Heyman tweeted earlier in the day that New York has “decided to keep” the reliever and use him as a teacher for 26-year-old Bobby Parnell. That would mean he’d join Reyes and Dickey as Mets who will probably stay in the Big Apple after the trade deadline comes and goes.
Regardless of where he’s playing come the end of the day on July 31, the 38-year-old will definitely provide some value given his age. In 38 starts in 2011, Isringhausen has a 2.76 ERA, his lowest ERA over the course of a full season since 2007 when he had a mark of 2.48 and saved 32 games for St. Louis.
|Trade Deadline: Marlins looking to deal closer Leo Nunez||07.14.11 at 11:18 am ET|
The Marlins will look to deal away their closer Leo Nunez at this years trading deadline, writes Juan Rodriguez of SunSentinal.com. Nunez is salary arbitration eligible for the final time and it does not seem likely that the Marlins would want to take on the salary increase that is expected.
Nunez is in his seventh year in the league. Before the Marlins he was with the Royals. In 2010 Nunez finished with 30 saves. Currently in 2011 he has recorded 25 saves and has a WHIP of 1.20.
|A look at the Red Sox’ offseason interest in Jose Bautista||01.26.11 at 1:58 am ET|
That is how one source familiar with the talks between the Red Sox and Blue Jays characterized the conversations that the two teams had about Jose Bautista, the slugger who emerged improbably to launch a major-league leading 54 homers.
On Tuesday, Fox Sports reported that the Sox made multiple trade offers to the Blue Jays about the slugger during the Winter Meetings in December, but “never got the sense that the Jays were serious about a deal,” with Toronto feeling that it would be served best to retain the slugger. On the Sox’ side, it seems that they were largely interested in gauging the full realm of market possibilities to identify alternatives should they fail to land free agent Carl Crawford, rather than having built a strategy around Bautista.
Over the course of the winter meetings — whose activity began with the Sox’ successful conclusion of a deal for Adrian Gonzalez and the stunning announcement of Jayson Werth‘s seven-year, $126 million deal with the Nationals, and ended with the Sox’ similarly startling conclusion of a seven-year, $142 million deal with Crawford — the Sox conducted an exploration of a broad range of market options.
That examination included free-agent options such as Magglio Ordonez as well as trade candidates such as Josh Willingham, Carlos Beltran and, yes, Bautista, among others. The Sox’ interest in Bautista preceded his breakout season, dating to his time in Pittsburgh, when at least one Red Sox talent evaluator thought that he represented a buy-low candidate with at least a chance of reaching 30 homers if the stars aligned, while another considered him at least a solid role player who could play solid defense at several positions while doing damage against left-handed pitchers.
But once the Jays acquired Bautista, the Sox felt that the opportunities to acquire him had diminished significantly. They were one of multiple clubs to place an August waiver claim for him in 2009, but were not awarded the claim, according to a major league source. Apparently, as the Sox explored the outfield market during the Winter Meetings — and with Bautista coming off of his landmark season — that remained the case.
Moreover, team officials viewed Crawford as the prize of the class all along for multiple reasons. Not only was the team enamored of Crawford’s across-the-board talents and ability to impact the club’s run scoring and run prevention, but the Sox’ interest in an outfielder this offseason was motivated in no small part by their recognition that they would need to add an outfielder in 2012, after J.D. Drew‘s contract expires.
A long-term deal with Crawford would give the Sox such an outfielder. Bautista, on the other hand, is eligible for free agency after the 2011 season, and so the Sox might have been put back in a position where they had to return to the market next offseason by trading him.
So, Crawford was the player whom the Sox were trying to land, and whom the ultimately did land. But the team wanted to make sure that their offseason strategy motto was not “Crawford or Bust.”
“If you’re counting on signing Carl Crawford and not ready to take another path, you’re probably going to sign him but risk a deal you’re not comfortable with,” Assistant GM Ben Cherington said last week. “It just happened that we were able to get deals done for the two guys [Gonzalez and Crawford] at the top of our list, not just for the two guys who could make the biggest impact, but who also best addressed the long-term needs.”
|Report: No deal (yet) between Adrian Beltre, Rangers||01.02.11 at 3:02 pm ET|
A report from piodeportes.com in the Dominican Republic on Sunday morning suggested that Adrian Beltre had reached a six-year, $96 million agreement with the Rangers, pending a physical. However, Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News (via twitter) cited a source who said that the report was inaccurate.
“Source: DR report is untrue. Rangers have no agreement with Beltre,” Grant tweeted.
Jon Morosi of FoxSports.com added (via twitter) that the “Rangers are still talking with Adrian Beltre, but there is no deal in place, source says.”
Coming off the second-best offensive season of his career, in which he hit .321 with a .919 OPS, 28 homers and 102 RBI for the Red Sox, Beltre was viewed as one of the top free agents on the market. Instead, reports suggest that teams that were interested — such as the Athletics and Angels — have pulled their offers (though the Angels reportedly remain willing to re-open talks with the 2010 All-Star), while the Red Sox’ interest in Beltre ended with their acquisition of Adrian Gonzalez.
From a Red Sox perspective, the Rangers represent something of a best-case scenario, since their pick in the first round (No. 26 overall) is unprotected, meaning that the Sox could get it if Beltre (a Type A free agent, whom a team must give up a first-round pick to sign) lands in Texas. Both the Angels (No. 17) and Athletics (No. 18) have protected first-round picks, meaning that the Sox would get no better than a second-round pick from those two clubs should they sign Beltre.
|Adrian Gonzalez’ agent says he isn’t ‘going for the jugular’ with contract extension with Red Sox||12.06.10 at 12:36 pm ET|
San Diego-based agent John Boggs, who represents Red Sox first baseman Adrian Gonzalez, is hopeful the two sides can reach a long-term contract extension soon. Following the press conference to introduce Gonzalez, Boggs spoke of the give-and-take that will need to exist for the two sides to reach an agreement.
“I think there’s a good feeling of everybody knowing where they are,” Boggs said. “When you get down to the wire, that’s when you basically drill down to the final line, numbers, where they have their standoff, where we have our standoff, there’s enough for everybody to walk away. There’s obviously going to be a compromise somewhere. ‘¦ It benefits everybody to get things expedited, because I’ve got a player that wants to be here.”
The sides reached an impasse in their negotiations Sunday, leading Boggs to believe the Sox would not go through with trading for Gonzalez. The Red Sox later called Boggs as he was set to leave for the Winter Meetings. After the sides reconvened, the team decided their was enough common ground to move forward with the deal.
At the end of the day, I was surprised we couldn’t push through, and when we walked away from it, it’s a bad feeling, but i’s a feeling of, ‘Hey, we weren’t going to bend on our side and they weren’t going to bend on their side,’ and you have that impasse,” Boggs said. “To get the phone call to say, ‘Let’s regroup,’ was something we hoped for, but we also didn’t know how we were going to resolve this thing. Was it to try to resolve some issues and get a deal done, or was it trying to say, ‘Hey, let’s take a deep breath here. We’ve got a great player. We’re going to work something out if you are reasonable and we’re reasonable. Let’s work in that kind of a spirit and go from there.’
“We’re not working in a spirit to get them by the jugular or squeeze every nickel, or set a precedent-setting deal. My job is to represent the player to the best of my abilities. At the end of the day, the player ultimately has given me direction as to what he would sign for, what deal would make him happy and what team would make him happy. … He’s going to do what’s right for him and his family. It doesn’t mean getting the last penny and playing for a team he doesn’t want to play for. It basically means he wants to be compensated fairly and play for a team that he really wants to play for.”
Sox general manager Theo Epstein was comfortable enough with the good faith between the team and Gonzalez’ representatives and wife, Betsy, that they ultimately deemed it safe to move forward with trading Casey Kelly, Reymond Fuentes, and Anthony Rizzo for the slugger.
“It’s ironic in the end, because through that process and negotiating with [Gonzalez' agents] ‘¦ we reached a point in the end where what actually got the trade done was the fact that we didn’t get a contact done,” Epstein said at the introductory press conference. “There was so much good faith that we were comfortable moving on with the trade with the knowledge that when the time was right, we could sit down and get something done. I think it was an uplifting experience in that way.”
Gonzalez will make $6.3 million in the coming season, the final year of his current contract.
|Available second basemen and Elias rankings||07.14.10 at 10:39 am ET|
MLB Trade Rumors had two posts Wednesday morning that are both of interest to Red Sox fans as the July 31 trade deadline approaches.
First, MLBTR looks at second basemen who could be on the move before the end of the month. The Sox are said to be in the market for a middle infielder after Dustin Pedroia went on the disabled list with a broken foot at the end of June. One of the more intriguing prospects is Orioles All-Star Ty Wigginton. He has hit .252 this season but his power numbers (14 home runs, 45 RBI) certainly add to the resume. He’s also a free agent at the end of the season, meaning he could be one of the most likely on this list to be moved. Others that could see new homes come July 31 are Dan Uggla, Kelly Johnson and Cristian Guzman.
Also at the site are the Elias Rankings that determine whether free agents-to-be are considered Type A, Type B or none of the above. Those designations decide the draft compensation teams can be awarded if they lose a given free agent. For instance, the Red Sox selected Bryce Brentz and Anthony Ranaudo in the draft after being awarded the 36th and 39th picks in the sandwich round for losing Type A free agents Jason Bay and Billy Wagner.
Here’s what Boston free agents-to-be would be designated as if the season ended today:
Victor Martinez, C, Type A
Jason Varitek, C, Type B
David Ortiz (option for next year), DH, Type B
Bill Hall (option), utility, none
Adrian Beltre (option), 3B, Type A
Mike Lowell, 3B, Type B
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Help Wanted: Writers
- Top 40 in Review: Heath Hembree and Steven Wright
- Top 40 Season in Review: Javier Guerra and Henry Ramos
- Top 40 in Review: Simon Mercedes and Carlos Asuaje
- Top 40 Season in Review: Anderson Espinoza and Alex Hassan
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rivero, Castillo make early impressions
- Top 40 Season in Review: Noe Ramirez and Luis Diaz
- Top 40 Season in Review: Bryce Brentz and Christopher Acosta
- Top 40 Season in Review: Justin Haley and Jake Cosart
- Top 40 Season in Review: Drake Britton and Dalier Hinojosa