|Scott Boras on Red Sox as sellers, Xander Bogaerts, Stephen Drew, more||07.14.14 at 6:38 pm ET|
MINNEAPOLIS — Agent Scott Boras doesn’t foresee a Red Sox sell-off as the July 31 trade deadline approaches. After all, despite the fact that the Sox enter the All-Star break tied for the AL East basement with a 43-52 record, 9 1/2 games behind the division-leading Orioles, they reside in a division that is highly flawed.
“I think the Red Sox don’t feel they’re out of anything, at least the Red Sox dialogue that I have,” said Boras. “I think they fully feel that the elasticity of the AL East is a rubber band that can take off or hit you in the face. I don’t think anybody in that division is taking where they’re at for granted, and they know it’s highly likely that this thing could well be decided for a number of teams in the next six to seven days. I think they’ve given themselves a core, a base to take that on. They’re getting some health out of their starting pitching. And I just don’t think that the club is concerned with retooling for next year when they’re in the hunt this year.”
Of course, the Sox’ outlook might be considerably different if a pair of Boras clients on the left side of the infield — Xander Bogaerts and Stephen Drew — were not ensnared in deep struggles. Drew is hitting .151 with a .218 OBP and .269 slugging mark in 28 games since joining the Sox in June (after sitting out the season’s first two-plus months while in free agent purgatory following his decision to reject the Sox’ one-year, $14.1 million qualifying offer).
Boras said that while Drew is still working to regain his timing at the plate, he expects the 31-year-old to return to his career track record of a .261 average, .326 OBP and .430 slugging mark.
“The Drews take pitches. The Drews work the counts,” Boras noted, alluding to Stephen Drew and his brother, J.D. Drew. “I think to get that acumen of being comfortable in the batter’s box, that kind of started to unfold a little bit in Houston. He’s a lifetime .270 hitter. That’s not going to go away. And he’s in the prime of his career. So, I’m not concerned about that.”
As for Bogaerts, he closed the first half in a 29-game tailspin that saw him hitting .103 with a .140 OBP, .131 slugging mark and one extra-base hit (a homer) with 32 strikeouts in 114 plate appearances, dropping his season line to .235/.311/.348. That struggle commenced roughly a week after Bogaerts moved from shortstop to third base to accommodate the return of Drew. But Boras denied that there was a causal link between the position change and the offensive struggle.
“That would be statistically undocumented because his great performance last year was at third base,” Boras said, referencing Bogaerts’ performance during the postseason as the team’s third baseman. “The biggest thing is the transition to the big leagues where everybody tests to see if you can hit the fastball. Also, you’re coming into the league and have a broad base of expectancy that you’re going to be successful, but you’ve got to learn how to hit the breaking balls. You’ve got to see breaking balls. And you’ve got to really see the slider. You’ve got to learn how to hit the slider your way. That takes time. It takes practice. And it takes him going through, because you don’t see those types of sliders in the minor leagues. You don’t see the type of velocity irregularity between a changeup and a fastball in the minor leagues, because the few that can do that are up here. So this is really, he has so few at-bats, he’s making that adjustment.
“I said it last year when he was doing well and I’ll say it now, he’s a generational player. He’s in that category of the [Mike Trouts] and the [Bryce Harpers] and the [Manny Machados]. Xander Bogaerts fits right into that group. He’s a great, great young player who showed on the most pressurized stage, the World Series stage, that he’s a baseball player of extraordinary skills. You have kids who are in junior college that are his age [while Bogaerts is] playing in the World Series and doing big things. He’s just that kind of guy.”
|‘Frustrated’ Stephen Drew to undergo tests on right oblique strain, Sox eye weekend return if cleared||06.12.14 at 5:09 pm ET|
The daily saga of Stephen Drew took another twist Thursday with the news that the shortstop will be undergoing several tests before the weekend to determine the extent of his aggravated right oblique.
After Thursday’s 5-2 win over the Indians, manager John Farrell said there’s a chance Drew could return to action over the weekend against the Indians.
“At this point, there was an ultrasound done. An MRI is still a possibility if the increased baseball activities [Friday] warrant it. The plan is for him not to have it right now,” Farrell said. “He’ll ramp up the activities. If there’s any kind of reproducing of the symptoms, then it would be administered at that point. Hopefully, he gets through [Friday] and then we’re looking for game activity on the weekend.”
Thursday’s ultrasound was administered to determine if Drew did any further damage during a batting practice session before Wednesday’s series finale in Baltimore. Before Thursday’s game, Farrell said Drew, who signed a $10 million pro-rated deal on May 21, was day-to-day with the oblique strain.
“[Wednesday] in the second round of BP he felt the right oblique kind of grab him again,” Farrell said. “So, whether or not the MRI is needed [Friday] — and even if there’s any question — we’ll get it to get all the information possible.
“He’s frustrated by it, but at the same time we can’t risk any longer-term situation here.”
Since signing with the Red Sox, Drew has played in just four games, collecting just one hit in 14 at-bats (.071).
Farrell was asked if an MRI Friday could reveal further injury beyond the oblique.
“I don’t know where,” Farrell said. “I just think the MRI is going to indicate to what extent there’s inflammation. If the MRI is deemed necessary, then the information derived from it will have a better read on the prognosis going forward.”
|Scott Boras on Sirius XM: Drew received multi-year offers, decided to return to Red Sox||05.21.14 at 8:17 pm ET|
The offseason was not a great one for Stephen Drew, as the shortstop’s desire for a multi-year deal and the draft pick that was tied to him due to the qualifying offer the Red Sox offered him before free agency drove away some potential suitors for the 31-year-old. However, according to Drew’s agent, Scott Boras, the shortstop received multi-year offers, but ultimately decided on his own volition to return to Boston on a one-year deal.
“The quest, knowing that Stephen had set forth a path to achieve the dynamic of being an unrestricted free agent the idea was to put himself in a position where the team, and within an environment we knew he could be successful,” Boras told MLB Network Radio on Sirius XM. “It turned out we did get multi-year offers as the season opened up but it was Stephen’s decision to take a one-year deal and return to the Red Sox and have a chance to compete for another championship.”
Heading into the offseason, Drew, who hit .253/.333/.443 with 13 homers, 67 RBI and 29 doubles, sought a multi-year deal but ultimately did not receive the offer he was looking for. As a result, Drew decided to wait out for an offer he was satisfied with while he worked out in both Miami and near his home in Georgia. Ultimately, Boras suggested that the outcome of free agency was a positive one for Drew, given that he returned to a time for whom he wanted to play while making good money in 2014 with an opportunity to experience free agency in the most literal sense — something that conferred a four-year, $52 million deal on shortstop Jhonny Peralta in the offseason — after the year.
“Where obviously Stephen was looking for a multi-year contract, that did not happen,” Boras told the radio station. “Then the process began where we found that if a player does not play at the start of the season, one game, then the club can no longer assert a qualifying offer on him. He can play the 2014 season on a one-year contract and then be a true unrestricted free agent which, for players of the skill of Stephen Drew and that type that are given qualifying offers, that is a right that is of great and substantial value to him.”
|Tim Kurkjian on M&M: ‘I don’t think Jackie Bradley Jr. is going to be their center fielder’||12.10.13 at 12:30 pm ET|
ESPN baseball writer Tim Kurkjian joined Mut & Merloni at the winter meetings in Orlando and talked about the Red Sox‘ approach to the offseason.
The Red Sox lost center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury via free agency to the Yankees, and there’s been speculation that youngster Jackie Bradley Jr. will inherit Ellsbury’s former position. Kurkjian isn’t so sure that will happen right away.
“I don’t think Jackie Bradley Jr. is going to be their center fielder,” Kurkjian said. “And that’s not ’cause he’s not ready or he can’t play. I just think ‘¦ to go in with three relatively unproven guys [along with Xander Bogaerts and Will Middlebrooks]. We know Bogaerts is going to be a great player, because we saw him in September and October — he was terrific. Middlebrooks is still questionable to me. The guy is unbelievably strong. But is he going to make contact enough to hit 30 homers in the big leagues and be able to play third base. And is Jackie Bradley Jr. ready to hit in the big leagues?
“I think the Red Sox are going to look at this situation and say, ‘I don’t know if we can win the division — the way the Yankees have upgraded, and Tampa Bay’s pitching — with young guys at three crucial spots.’ So I still think they’re out looking for a center field situation — not a five-year situation, but maybe something that could help Jackie Bradley along.”
Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp‘s name has been bandied about, but concerns about his physical status seem to be scaring off teams.
“The Dodgers, from what I’m told, are looking to move Matt Kemp,” Kurkjian said. “This isn’t a case where the Red Sox are pursuing him, but from what I’m told, the Dodgers have made him available and are willing to pick up a sizable portion of that contract.
“If you’re the Red Sox, however, you have to a) only have to pay $10 million of that contract a year, and you have be certain that he’s healthy. He’s got an ankle and a shoulder. You know you can’t play this game if you’re hurt. It’s too hard to play when you’re healthy. Then you get hurt and try to play, it’s impossible. Especially at a defensive position like that, and an athletic guy like him. So I would be wary of Matt Kemp’s health, and I wouldn’t go anywhere near him until I’m certain that his ankle and his shoulder are OK.”
|Johnny Damon on M&M: Jacoby Ellsbury ‘will do great in New York’||12.04.13 at 12:28 pm ET|
Ellsbury, who won two World Series with the Red Sox, reportedly agreed to a seven-year, $153 million contract with New York on Tuesday night. Damon, after spending four seasons as Boston’s center fielder and claiming a World Series with the Sox, also signed with the Yankees once his Boston contract expired in 2005.
‘I respect the way [Ellsbury] plays. I know there were tons of comparisons with me when he came out of college, and there’s plenty of comparisons now, too,’ Damon said. ‘I know he’s a good kid, he needs to stay healthy, I think he will do great in New York.
“I’m sure if Boston wanted to do six, seven years, he probably would have stayed. But Boston’s looking out for themselves. Sometimes when you get burned by certain contracts, like the [Carl] Crawford thing, it scares you some, and rightfully so. Boston is going to continue to make the right decisions.”
Asked about what Ellsbury will go through as he switches sides in the rivalry, Damon said: ‘I think the toughest thing for Jacoby is going to be going back to Boston, and everything leading up to it. What do you think the fans are going to do — are they going to cheer you or are they going to boo you? He’s going to answer that question so many times, and probably every time he goes back for the next seven years. I think that was the hardest thing.
“Everywhere you go people are Red Sox fans. I’ve been on deserted islands and a Red Sox fan popped up and started telling me how big of a fan they are. Red Sox fans are avid and passionate and it’s incredible. Jacoby’s going to find out how many Red Sox fans are out there now, just telling him how they respected his game, but also, ‘How could you go to the Yankees.’ But seven years, [$]153 [million], that’s a lot of loot.’
After signing with New York before the 2006 season, Damon said he had something to prove when he played against his former team.
“For me, it was about trying to show them that first year,” he said. “I was so upset that I didn’t re-sign with Boston. I bought a house, they told me to buy a house, I did, and then they don’t sign me, and I’m kind of like, ‘Oh, boy, this is not good.’ … This was after the World Series. I talked to Theo [Epstein] and he said I would be there for a long time. Then again, Theo the next year said, ‘You’re having too good of a year. You’re overpricing yourself to keep playing in Boston.’ ‘¦ And I wasn’t going to take a few pitches looking to get the average down and get the numbers down.
“Unfortunately, I did have a great year. But if I had a worse year they would have just let me go and said he’s done. I had too good of a year, and I ended up going to New York.”
New York Daily News columnist Mike Lupica joined Dennis & Callahan on Wednesday morning to discuss Jacoby Ellsbury‘s reported deal with the Yankees, as well as Robinson Cano‘s free agency situation.
On Tuesday night, CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reported that New York signed Ellsbury, the former Red Sox outfielder, to a seven-year, $153 million contract. This figure seems exorbitant considering that Ellsbury, 30, frequently has struggled to stay on the field, and his best season was in 2011.
‘Jacoby Ellsbury has been on two World Series-winning teams, I love watching him play baseball, has anybody ever thought of him as being one of the top five players in baseball?’ Lupica said, adding: ‘And now you’re paying him like one of the very best players in baseball, even though he’s three or four years past the best numbers he’s ever put in the books?’
The deal, orchestrated by agent Scott Boras, is similar to what Carl Crawford received from the Red Sox in 2010. Crawford, an outfielder who relies on his speed like Ellsbury, got seven years and $142 million from the Red Sox entering his age-30 season.
‘You know that Boras came into this thinking, ‘I’m going to get him more than Carl Crawford,’ but the Carl Crawford deal is universally analyzed as one of the dumbest the Red Sox ever made in all of recorded history,’ Lupica said.
After his breakout campaign in 2011, Ellsbury struggled with injuries in 2012, and, to a lesser degree, in 2013. He missed 116 games in the last two seasons. Additionally, Ellsbury missed almost all of the 2010 season.
‘I’m just more mystified that you’re taking a fragile player, who depends on his legs, who played  games last year, we don’t even have to go back to where he missed [almost] a whole season,’ Lupica said.
|Scott Boras addresses Jacoby Ellsbury, Stephen Drew and NASA||11.13.13 at 5:47 pm ET|
ORLANDO — When Scott Boras executed his annual get-together with the media at the general managers’ meetings on Wednesday, there were few surprises. A few witty lines, yes. But no real surprises.
The agent for free agents Jacoby Ellsbury and Stephen Drew sang the praises of both his clients, while not offering any insight into how far along in the process the pair might be in terms of finding a team for 2014.
‘I think every free agent wants to get their deal done yesterday,’ Boras said. ‘There’s kind of a tide that works in this process, and every once in a while you have clubs that make quicker decisions than others, and a lot of that has to do with exhausting trade possibilities along with their plan and design with their owners. Really, it has to do a lot with the math the teams have to do to make the strike. Historically, there’s always a few that jump quicker. But for the most part a lot of teams respond to the pursuit of the player when they know that pursuit of the player has a timetable.’
Added Boras: ‘It’s hard to find talent in the marketplace that could replace them. There aren’t too many free agents I think you can acquire other than a Jacoby or a Stephen that certainly would be available to take their spots.
‘It’s far more than normal for elite players these days just because the revenue structure of the game invites a lot more applicants and the rareness of the talent has a lot to do with the volume of interest. I won’t give you specific numbers, but it’s more than normal.’
Specifically regarding Ellsbury, this is what Boras had to say:
On how the market is unfolding: ‘We’re just looking at all the teams that have expressed interest. He’s going to take a good long look at all of them and decide what his preferences are from there. Frankly, I’m kind of here to collect that now. I’ve not had the discussion with him about all the teams involved yet.’
On Ellsbury’s power potential: ‘Ells conditioned himself and did things to become what he needed to become to help this style of team, and that was stealing bases, being a leadoff hitter and being on base, and, frankly, getting on second base as much as possible. And that’s really what he geared himself to. And he played a good portion of the season with a very, very swollen wrist and hand. The fact of the matter is Jacoby Ellsbury’s compensation is going to be based on all five of his tools. The fact in today’s game, having players that skilled at that position creates the value. It’s not just power. He hits the ball in the gap. If he hits the ball out and does it 18 times vs. 10 times, I’m not sure it has any difference in his value.’ Read the rest of this entry »
Latest from Bleacher Report
- August Players of the Month: Manuel Margot and Brian Johnson
- Cup of Coffee: GCL Red Sox win league championship
- Weekly Notes: Red Sox win GCL title, Castillo debuts
- ESPN Boston: Farm clubs faring well
- Cup of Coffee: Rusney Castillo debuts, PawSox clinch wild card
- Red Sox acquire infielders Jemile Weeks and Ivan De Jesus
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Light dominate, GCL takes game one
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson keeps rolling, GCL wins semifinal
- Cup of Coffee: Gonzalez leads combined no-hitter in DSL Playoff opener
- Cup of Coffee: Asuaje leads Salem to doubleheader split